Hart Energy Publishing LLLP Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Hart Energy Publishing LLLP CEO Richard A. Eichler
Richard A. Eichler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"I enjoy working at Hart!"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I read the Glassdoor reviews before I joined Hart. I know each persons perception/experience is different, so I read them with that in mind.

Pros:
    - the CEO is very approachable and the company morale is important to the him
    - the PTO time is generous
    - Hart makes and effort to act on good suggestions
    - Hart is a small company, so there are less layers of approval needed to get things accomplished
    - I have seen multiple instances of managers trying to work with their employees personal schedules
    - if you complete your work successfully, Hart aims to reward that
    - management and co-workers say please and thank you
    - respectful environment

The pay is very fair, but if your goal is to have the highest salary known for your type of position, which is fine, this may not be the company for you. Promotions do happen, but keep in mind, it is a smaller company.

Cons

There can always be improvement, but I am an optimistic person, so I do not see most things as a con. If I were to list areas of improvement, I feel like I would be reaching or picking the company apart, on areas that most companies have to deal with.

Advice to Management

Hart is a good company, where an upbeat, hard-worker will be recognized and appreciated.

Hart, continue to find ways to invest in the growth of your employees. Continue to think of ways to tell your employees that they are appreciated.

I am a seasoned professional and I have seen my share of different management styles and company cultures. Overall, Hart is a pleasant place to work and I enjoy it!

2. "Director of New Business"

Current Employee - Director of New Business Midstream and Digital in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP full-time

Pros

energy markets are mending, the people, vacation days, paid time off, benefits. I'm glad to be able to work for Hart again because they had given me an opportunity before that I left during the energy market downturn. I was overjoyed when they reached back out to me as things are recovering. I think that says a lot about the management here.

Cons

It's Long commute for me.

Advice to Management

Create more value added, multi-channel packages that require a contract. Have about five of them that you can tweak here and there within reason to form a customized solution for an advertising client.

3. "Very pleased"

Current Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A very accommodating and employee friendly atmosphere. Allows one the opportunity to grow in one's career path and interact with supervisors on a regular basis.

Cons

Sometimes can be a little hectic due to the corporate structure; corporate organization could use a little bit of a tidying up, but overall not a real problem.

Advice to Management

No real outstanding complains - see above about corporate structure. Understand that that is a function of an organization this size, though.

4. "Great Benefits - Not as bad as people make it sound!"

Current Employee - Marketing in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great Health Benefits and 401k match
    - PTO and paid holidays (you get almost every holiday plus more)
    - Flexible work schedule
    - Open to new ideas (while some times we struggle to implement them)
    - Entrepreneur spirit
    - You get to deal with all of the Oil & Gas industry and deal with all of the big players
    - Company continues to grow year over year, some growing pains to be expected

Cons

- Needs better communications with in different departments
    - Better training when individuals are hired
    - Still very print focused
    - Troubles adapting to new technology
    - Need to hire more seasoned expertise and less entry level

Advice to Management

While still very print focused we are evolving to digital slowly but surely. We need to keep the momentum and continue to evolve.

"Pretty good place to work"

Current Intern - Research Intern in Houston, TX
    Current Intern - Research Intern in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The hours are very flexible, and the atmosphere is fun and relaxed.

Cons

The pay is pretty low.

Advice to Management

Work on better organization and overall direction.

6. "Hart Energy is a growing enterprise...with expected growing pains."

Pros

Some of these reviews are shocking and clearly left by disgruntled employees. What better way to blindly attack a company than by leaving a Glassdoor review. Although I must agree with the fellow pessimist on disorganization here and there, its simply not as degrading as these reviews reveal. The benefits are highly competitive, accessibility to upper management is more than I've seen in any company, the atmosphere and culture is relaxed, they support and encourage innovativeness, and most of all there is a positive outlook on growth and success for hard, dedicated workers.

Cons

I would have to agree that its rumored that salaries are not as competitive as o&g companies and I was offered 15% more at a major o&g company. However, Hart Energy is a publishing company - Not an oil & gas operator.
    More emphasis should be put on training and development and career progression, but it appears that efforts are being made to make that happen.

Advice to Management

I would like to see more execution than implementation. Less talking and more doing. It's great to see the enhancement in communication with the new internal communication specialist. This keeps employees outside of the Houston office inside of the loop.

"Solid Company"

I have been working at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits package and PTO policy. Friendly and professional coworkers. Upper management is accessible.

Cons

A lack of clear or consistent policies regarding job flexibility and work hours. Some employees and departments have the ability to almost create their own work hours and location, i.e. work from home, while others are kept to a very strict policy of 8:30 - 5:30 M-F hours.

Advice to Management

Create a company-wide policy that applies to everyone. Give everyone the opportunity to have some work flexibility by making it a perk after a certain number of years of employment, say after 8-10 years with the company.

8. "Dynamic environment"

Current Employee - Vice President in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP (More than 5 years)

Pros

Diverse and highly educated work force, strong team of colleagues

Cons

Complex product offerings and overlapping chains of command

Advice to Management

Follow through on policy decisions and strategic plans

"Good place to gain (entry-level) experience, but not a long-term career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most people are friendly and some are fun to work with
    Office location is central
    O&G/energy industry is a stable place to have a job, particularly in Houston

Cons

Poor communication, particularly within management and between management and lower-level employees
    Lack of process and poor organization (company-wide) - very frustrating work environment
    Extremely high turnover - There are a few tenured employees, but the majority last between 1-3 years.

Advice to Management

Take the time to get feedback from your employees, then TAKE ACTION. A lot of talk and not enough execution.

"Looks great at first but not equipped to handle downturn"

I have been working at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP full-time

Pros

Fantastic PTO, overall friendly employees and non-hostile environment. Free covered parking is very nice.

Cons

Hires new people for positions that have been vacant for 6+ months at 80k or more then has layoffs the next week. Constantly says no more lay offs this calendar year then almost immediately has layoffs. If short handed, they will ask people from other departments to do work that is not in their job description. They said there "might not be" 401k matching this year....that information is pretty important to know before you do max contributions. They also will make huge decisions about product lines and magazines and not tell a single employee it affects until you hear first hand from the customer. No room for salary negotiation no matter how much work you've taken on from the layoffs.

Advice to Management

Keep everyone in the loop. This can definitely improve the moral that is currently at rock bottom. I don't see many people staying by the end of the year.