Hart Energy Publishing LLLP Reviews | Glassdoor

2.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hart Energy Publishing LLLP CEO Richard A. Eichler
Richard A. Eichler

1. "Director of New Business"

Current Employee - Director of New Business Midstream and Digital in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP full-time

Pros

energy markets are mending, the people, vacation days, paid time off, benefits. I'm glad to be able to work for Hart again because they had given me an opportunity before that I left during the energy market downturn. I was overjoyed when they reached back out to me as things are recovering. I think that says a lot about the management here.

Cons

It's Long commute for me.

Advice to Management

Create more value added, multi-channel packages that require a contract. Have about five of them that you can tweak here and there within reason to form a customized solution for an advertising client.

"You are kidding me"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not much. It's a job. I come in. I leave. I get paid. Not well, but it's better than nothing.

Cons

Management has egos as if they work for a fortune 500 company. Your local car dealership has a higher revenue than Hart. The "executive" titles they give to their employees to make them felt important would be equivalent to lower level management at a real company AT MOST. I highly suggest not working for them. Their business model is not going to survive, especially with the amateurs in "leadership". Retire already and get rid of the glorified managers who think they work for Google. Lol. Marketing has even lowered itself to offering discounts and gimmicky prizes. Marketing is way out of touch and trying to hard to fit in with today's "cool kids". Laughable and embarrassing. CDO is extremely immature and has no place being in a leadership position.

Advice to Management

Since we're losing so much money, how soon until we get bought out?

"Stay away or leave"

I have been working at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Once again management posts a fake review. It's the one with 5 stars.notice how that post addresses management and how they act? This says CEO told Marketing Executive to post this. The fact that they are this obvious should let you know the limited ability of management there. It's a microcosm of Hart.

Cons

Philandering, out of touch, uneducated, immoral, unethical, sexis, toxic, cheesy, old farts, you name it.

Advice to Management

Quit while.you can. Hart is getting beat in every way. A guy working out of his garage basically took millions away from Hart because they are incompetent.

"Bleak Outlook"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Some nice peers. The property management has some special occasions that has free food for tenants. Peers help out with finding other jobs. People who leave will recruit you for something more stable, so be kind to your peers. Hart doesn't monitor web traffic significantly so you can spend most of your day job hunting for a real job. Not a JV company trying to play in a varsity league.

Cons

Terrible management. Everyone is tied up in politics. Backstabbing. Power trips. Egos. Philandering. Hostile. Toxic. Lies. Territorial. Don't believe a word management has to say. Rumor is Hart is on the marketing looking to be sold. Of course management will deny this and laugh it off.

Advice to Management

Sell the company to investors who will get rid of management and start over with a clean slate of educated and competent management. Too many fake it till you make it...aka fake it until you understand it managers.

"No Future Here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

A few nice co-workers. Nice location near the galleria. Overall nice area. Lots of holidays.

Cons

Hostile environment. Untrustworthy management. Executives pass around buzzwords with no understanding what it actually is. As one reviewer mentioned, it truly is a good old boys circle. If you aren't part of that circle or have the guts to speak against the YES MEN then you are basically blackballed. One of the executives is extremely sporadic and reacts entirely based on her knee-jerk reaction. She is very detrimental to the company with her refusal to act on the market as opposed to her intuition which has been wrong a significant majority of the time. Management is too afraid of the CEO so they are nothing but his puppets. People who have opposed the "This is how we've always done it" somehow magically get fired, laid off, retire, or quit. Interesting.

Advice to Management

Admit that you are not the smartest ones in the room. Don't be afraid to hire people more experienced and/or educated than you. Your insecurity and pride of your underlings showing you up or climbing past you is apparent and historical. Pride always goes before the fall, and it looks like the company is headed that way.

"Embarrassed to work here"

Pros

Air conditioned. Covered Parking. Free water. Free use of microwaves. Carpeted halls. HR/execs write fake reviews to make Hart look ok. It's not.. You can tell the fake reviews. If not from HR, someone from management being told to do so. Also, as long as you have dirt on executives, you can keep your job.

Cons

The publishing business is doomed in the traditional sense. Magazines? Ha. So the focus has been to push content to digital. So you would think management would hire experts. So in the last few years, they've had 5 different digital VPs. All were basically fired. So knowing how important digital is to Hart which they can't figure out, their "Chief Information Officer" doesn't even have a four-year college degree. The ones they've fired either went to NYU, worked for NASA, had an MBA in economics, you name it. So they promote the guy who has some cheesy junior college certificate who wears a college ring even though he never even went there or even has a bachelors. What??? Same for the cronies in his circle. College drop-outs. He was also there during the time the prior CIOs were there. Do the math. Too much kissing up to the good ol boy system they have there. The guy is way in over his head and is so full of himself, he pulls power trips at the sake of hurting the company. He has absolutely no strategic vision. Ask around and you will see. So how am I supposed to sell when prospects are asking about the makeup of our digital team? Let's see...they are a bunch of uneducated guys a job away from flipping burgers.

Advice to Management

Don't be easily swayed by your cronies just because you guys are drinking together at a conference. Hire educated and experienced people. Not people you know or played golf with or are related to. Quit being cheap and promoting unqualified people within. Your good ol' boy network is embarassing. Look at the age of management. They are close to retiring so they don't care at this point. They just want to hold onto their jobs because they know they wouldn't be able to find a job at that age if they got fired. Those guys are out of touch. Focus on digital, yet the average upper manager there can barely work an ipad. Oh, and get rid of your current CIO. He let a few people know in advance about the last round of layoffs because why? He was dating one of the persons they let go. He has a history of fraternizing with employees - from interns to directors.

8. "Dynamic environment"

Current Employee - Vice President in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP (More than 5 years)

Pros

Diverse and highly educated work force, strong team of colleagues

Cons

Complex product offerings and overlapping chains of command

Advice to Management

Follow through on policy decisions and strategic plans

"Keep Looking"

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Better-than-average holiday package and vacation, opportunity to make contacts in energy industry.

Cons

Terrible pay and clueless senior management. There is a very strong silo culture with departments that scarcely talk to each other, some of which are lorded over by prima donnas who play favorites -- and keep their jobs by buttering up the CEO. Being an "FOR" -- friend of Rich (the CEO) is crucial to getting ahead or surviving.

Advice to Management

Treat your people like the asset you say they are and start planning ahead. Don't tell people how valuable they are and then lay off a huge chunk of staff when business slows down.

"I enjoy working at Hart!"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I read the Glassdoor reviews before I joined Hart. I know each persons perception/experience is different, so I read them with that in mind.

Pros:
    - the CEO is very approachable and the company morale is important to the him
    - the PTO time is generous
    - Hart makes and effort to act on good suggestions
    - Hart is a small company, so there are less layers of approval needed to get things accomplished
    - I have seen multiple instances of managers trying to work with their employees personal schedules
    - if you complete your work successfully, Hart aims to reward that
    - management and co-workers say please and thank you
    - respectful environment

The pay is very fair, but if your goal is to have the highest salary known for your type of position, which is fine, this may not be the company for you. Promotions do happen, but keep in mind, it is a smaller company.

Cons

There can always be improvement, but I am an optimistic person, so I do not see most things as a con. If I were to list areas of improvement, I feel like I would be reaching or picking the company apart, on areas that most companies have to deal with.

Advice to Management

Hart is a good company, where an upbeat, hard-worker will be recognized and appreciated.

Hart, continue to find ways to invest in the growth of your employees. Continue to think of ways to tell your employees that they are appreciated.

I am a seasoned professional and I have seen my share of different management styles and company cultures. Overall, Hart is a pleasant place to work and I enjoy it!

"Looks great at first but not equipped to handle downturn"

I have been working at Hart Energy Publishing LLLP full-time

Pros

Fantastic PTO, overall friendly employees and non-hostile environment. Free covered parking is very nice.

Cons

Hires new people for positions that have been vacant for 6+ months at 80k or more then has layoffs the next week. Constantly says no more lay offs this calendar year then almost immediately has layoffs. If short handed, they will ask people from other departments to do work that is not in their job description. They said there "might not be" 401k matching this year....that information is pretty important to know before you do max contributions. They also will make huge decisions about product lines and magazines and not tell a single employee it affects until you hear first hand from the customer. No room for salary negotiation no matter how much work you've taken on from the layoffs.

Advice to Management

Keep everyone in the loop. This can definitely improve the moral that is currently at rock bottom. I don't see many people staying by the end of the year.