Hart InterCivic Reviews | Glassdoor

Hart InterCivic Reviews

2.5
Phillip Braithwaite

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great people, fantastic culture, nice perks, but don't expect to see your family much"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Hart InterCivic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hardware, latest development tools, fantastic culture, including Friday afternoon Hart-Rock Cafe sessions where you can unwind with a cold one and get caught up on the latest company news. Casual attire. Decent benefits. Company will occasionally do fun events like having a food truck in, or a theme week. Free beverages and snacks.

Cons

The biggest drawback to working at Hart, especially if you are in Engineering, is that the work/life balance is, quite frankly, awful. Expect to work many weekends, as the company has a habit of overselling its products. Don't get me wrong, the current generation product is an excellent one, but it is very ambitious. And due to certification dates, the deadlines can NOT be moved. They pay very well, but when you're working 60 hours a week, you're working for pretty cheap.
    Also, working from home, while possible due to the hardware you have to work with, is generally frowned upon, unless absolutely necessary (like: ice storm in what little winter we get here in Texas). In this day and age, telecommuting a couple of days a week should be acceptable.

Advice to Management

If anything, your sales department is a little TOO good. :-)

2. "This Place is a joke and incompetent as a sales organization."

Former Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at Hart InterCivic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not quite sure there is much i can say here. I told them i would give 90 days to correct compensation model and resigned on.day 91 when no progress had been made to get close to what i was told when hired.

Cons

Old Technology, not willing to have R&D to make changes as requested by local Governments.

Gave previous rep 6month carryover for all pipeline. Anyone who knows SLED, knows opportunities are identified at least 12 months in advance. What that means is Account Managers have to survive on base while they build their funnel and you get no run rate business.

Advice to Management

Carryover opportunities should be 30 maybe even 60 days for the rep to close the opportunities. If they can't close in that timeframe it should fall to new rep to execute.

3. "Not willing to change for the future."

Former Contractor - Inventory Support in Austin, TX
    Former Contractor - Inventory Support in Austin, TX

I worked at Hart InterCivic as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay and nice people.

Great parking and easy access.

Free soda drinks and always candy available.

HR lady was very nice.

Some opportunity for internal transition.

Cons

Old ERP software, favoritism, and terrible inventory process.

Didn't see one African American in the company.

Filing system was terrible.

Warehouse was disorganized and coworkers were not knowledgeable enough to answer questions.

Advice to Management

Interview all your potential candidates and give them some real direction on what they expect from you.

Communication was poor.

No cross training.

4. "Huge workload, very little salary or career advancement opportunity."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Hart InterCivic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely loyal and knowledgeable team members.

Cons

Salary is not worth the large individual workload and virtually no opportunity for career advancement at this company.

5. "Good management who value employees"

Pros

True team, can-do attitude
    Friendly staff

Cons

Mostly contract work (60-80%)
    No true use of any SDLC in software

Advice to Management

Create more permanent opportunities to leverage knowledge retention
    Implement an SDLC

6. "Great Opportunity for contract work during elections!"

Former Contractor - Trainer in Austin, TX
    Former Contractor - Trainer in Austin, TX

I worked at Hart InterCivic as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed my time at Hart. The voting machines & software are great products. I also loved the friendly atmosphere and the "Hart-Rock Cafe" on Fridays.

Cons

It was only a contract job so there was no room for advancement, but it was a great place to do contract training.

"If you don't mind only knowing what's going on in your cube, Hart InterCivic might just be for you."

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Austin, TX

Pros

During the time I worked at Hart InterCivic, there were very good opportunities for contract employees to be hired on as permanent staff.

Cons

I worked as a Technical Writer, and was told from Day One that I would never, ever, ever, ever have access to the developer. There was one senior developer who I prayed every day would not be hit by a bus or become a victim of some other accident--if he went down the whole company was going to go down.

I had to write documentation for software based on software alone...I was fortunate enough to have access to QA when I had questions.

The UI had typographical errors in it that were "not important" enough to fix. Sorry folks, your UI is your window to the world. Making it perfect is critical.

I had no idea who worked on what, who all was in my department, or why we were doing most of what we were doing.

Advice to Management

Read some books on team-building, then work some of the exercises with your employees. Especially when you have more than one major division in a company, it's so helpful for all your people to fully understand the entire scope of the company's work

8. "Software Engineer, Independent Contractor"

Current Contractor - Software Engineer in Kiev (Ukraine)
    Current Contractor - Software Engineer in Kiev (Ukraine)

I have been working at Hart InterCivic as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Very interesting to work on the electronic voting system.

Cons

I have no chance to join the team in Austin.