Harte Hanks Reviews in Billerica, MA | Glassdoor

Billerica, MA

1.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Karen Puckett

Pros
  • Work/life balance is awesome compared to all other ad agencies in Austin (in 22 reviews)

• you can work from home as much as you can (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Dealing with upper conflicting upper management (in 35 reviews)

• Poor benefits, Most senior management not at onsite locations (in 17 reviews)

"Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Billerica, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Billerica, MA

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fast paced environment with a great group of people to work with

Cons

No flexibility within your work schedule. Long hours. Management kept changing the direction of the company.

"Former great place to work turns sour"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Billerica, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Billerica, MA

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a former client, I had nothing but great things to say about my experiences with Harte Hanks which is why I was excited to join the team. After about a year of really enjoying my work, the company started making some drastic management changes which resulted in back-stabbing among managers, poor service to our clients driving them to leave us for the competition, and a huge lay-off in order to outsource development work to India which gave us less control over the product and enticed the rest of us to leave on our own. Harte Hanks always had a great reputation - poor management decisions have changed that, unfortunately.

Cons

Leadership has no direction and is driving the company into the ground. Stock prices have plummeted over the last few years taking this 90-year-old "rock" in the industry to a non-competitor.

Advice to Management

Cash in and walk away.

"Harte Hanks making positive changes"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Billerica, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Billerica, MA

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Harte Hanks is making some positive changes recently, and re-focusing on employee retention. Past CEO focused on cost-cutting. Now company needs to expand successful relationships and make employees happy.

Cons

Past cost cutting ways and brand confusion must be addressed. Company must re-dedicate itself to amazing client service and creativity, while giving functional areas more autonomy and empowerment.

Advice to Management

Focus on employee retention, execution and client service. Provide outstanding service to key clients, but go all out to bring in new business. Must differentiate from competition and leverage data expertise in house. Hire and retain....

"Want to believe in the change..."

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time

Pros

Going through a massive reorganization to become more relevant and profitable. The future vision is exciting. Many talented employees to work with and learn from.

Cons

After 1.5 years of painful reorganization (including large scale layoffs), have yet to see any real benefit of the change. Management doesn't value it's talented, hardworking employees. Company doesn't seem willing to put the money where their mouth is when it comes to investing in the people and technology we need to do better.

"Losing major customers weekly. Horrible morale"

Former Employee - Team Manager in Billerica, MA
    Former Employee - Team Manager in Billerica, MA

Pros

Pay check
    Eliminating offices so you can work from home

Cons

No salary increases in three years
    Horrible morale
    All the best employees were fired or left
    Management is new has no clue about the business

Advice to Management

Hire back the people who used to run the company

"Once-great place to work suffers long decline"

Former Employee - Developer in Billerica, MA

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Can only speak about the Billerica, MA office. Was once a great place to work, loaded with dynamic people, terrific energy, and a fun culture. Still a lot of good people, my manager was very easy to work for, hands off, and always letting us know that we were doing a good job and were appreciated. But the culture has fallen off the cliff. Benefits are OK. A lot of folks worked remotely at times, especially during bad weather.

Cons

Management from afar, seems to have no conception of what we did in Billerica. Promised more open communication for years, never got it. People have lost a lot of enthusiasm for the work. Little collaboration between departments. Most people have the attitude that anyone can get be laid off at any time, so why bother. They have let go a lot of very dedicated, very experienced people. Miniscule or non-existent raises for years. Technology is outdated and clunky. People are just expected to be available 24/7, including when on PTO.

Advice to Management

Don't have any advice. They wouldn't listen anyway. Too busy patting each other on the back for running mean and lean.

"Run, don't walk away, RUN !!!!!"

Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Billerica, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Billerica, MA

I worked at Harte Hanks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay and great people.

Cons

The technology is antiquated. All of the clients are unhappy or leaving. Management decided the answer was to outsource. Now most of the talented employees are leaving too.

Advice to Management

None....it's too late.

"Run, do not walk, run away."

Former Employee - Developer in Billerica, MA

Pros

Living the Dream. Other than that...

Cons

Outsourcing is the name of the game, All of HR and Database Operations moved to offshore contractor. Poor salary, no raises, expensive health insurance. No new products in 10 years, old technology, old data centers, Lots of uncompensated overtime. No longer able to provide quality service and results to Clients and thus Clients leaving at a fast rate.

Advice to Management

Being left far behind by the competition. Sell the company while it still has some value.

"Poor operations."

Former Employee - Developer in Billerica, MA

Pros

Friendly co workers, good location.

Cons

Poor management, attitude, and procedures. No structure.

"There are currently a lot of changes but hoping they are going to be good positive changes down the road"

I have been working at Harte Hanks full-time

Pros

The company did need some changes, despite the way they have had to go about them, we hope they are going to be good changes in the future and make this a 5 star company to work at again

Cons

Management right now is doing everything they need to to make these changes which aren't all good.....

Advice to Management

Get on with the changes already so that we can start implementing and working in the new culture to get this show on the road