Hartford Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hartford Hospital Chief Executive Officer Elliot Joseph
Elliot Joseph
1 Rating

Pros
  • Overall, professional work environment (in 5 reviews)

• Good people, independent working environment (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Not friendly with Work/ Life balance scheduling (in 7 reviews)

• Very slow to rehire with high turnover in my department (in 2 reviews)

1. "Student Nurse"

Former Employee - Student Nurse in Tarrytown, NY
    Former Employee - Student Nurse in Tarrytown, NY

I worked at Hartford Hospital (Less than a year)

Pros

Great staff - very helpful with demonstrating tasks and answering questions. They were very dedicated to making my time at their hospital a successful teaching experience.

Cons

As a student nurse, you are required to pay for your own transportation and parking at the facility. Being a student at the time, money was very tight.

Advice to Management

Management was great in enforcing the rules on the unit. They took the upmost pride in ensuring that the floor was run safely and effectively.

2. "Meh… it's a job"

Current Employee - Microbiologist in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Microbiologist in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Hartford Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cheap parking on site ($10.00 annual); interesting work.

Cons

Some buildings very aged & in need of updates & general repair; poor pay, about 20% less than what industry pays elsewhere; benefits are so-so. Career development based upon seniority with no regard to education or experience. Associates are over-worked, and micromanaged; not much work-life balance. Too much stress on working ergonomically and not enough on the outcome-- HHCH worries about Worker's comp constantly -- which creates more work for everybody, and screws up the metrics.

Advice to Management

Business etiquette seminar should be a must for associates; hiring and promoting should be based on qualifications, not seniority -- fellow employees should not recommend by-passing a candidate just because they worry that a new hire will progress higher than themselves. Your pay scale should be more competitive-- you want the talent but refuse to pay for it!

3. "New Grad"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Windsor, CT
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Windsor, CT

I have been working at Hartford Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The manger was very straight forwards stating the floor i was applying for has a alot of turnover due to the new grads

Cons

you must know someone to get in on a good floor and management must put in a good word and rather have you work on the unit for a specific time frame before your ready. Day night shift not me cup of tea

"SO much potential..."

Current Employee - Clinical Psychologist in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Clinical Psychologist in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Hartford Hospital part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great coworkers and interesting work. The location is premium for anyone passionate about working with underserved populations.

Cons

Very poorly managed system, top heavy incomes (e.g. very few people make a competitive wage except the administration - most make 20%+ less than going rate). Not a good system for holding people accountable. Sexual harassment claims are buried. A toxic environment for people who do not go along with the status quo.

Advice to Management

Quit promoting internal people who "know the system," because these people are incapable of making real and meaningful change. It is vital to bring in outside talent and to listen to what those people say. The Institute of Living needs an outside consulting firm to review the books and to hold the administration accountable.

Devote the resources being used to train people on skills that they will never use (e.g. there are an excessive number of yearly training requirements that are very costly to the hospital, but don't really address what is needed by the individual) towards raising the incomes of your young professionals -before they all leave.

Be aware that the professionals who are not leaving may not be the ones you want running this system in the next 10 years. Many of these people lack discipline and are deeply entrenched in the toxicity of the existing system. They survive because they have adjusted, not because they are passionate or are doing good work.

6. "ED -Patient Administrative Associate"

Current Employee - Patient Administrative Assistant in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Patient Administrative Assistant in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Hartford Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Taught arrthymia and gained tools to pass exam. Co-workers are fun, and very supportive. This position opens up many doors to other positions.

Cons

Extremely overworked and desperately underpaid. Nurses talk down to all PAA's, when they are stressed, and are annoyed with us calling them to inform them about their patients vitals.

PCA's ignore us, which inevitably means ignoring the patient, and we take the down fall when some family member or patient starts yelling.

I also don't understand why we clean patient rooms in Gold pod. Wasn't hired as environmental services..

Management doesn't care nor listen to us.. but will send out corny emails of inspiration!

Once again every PAA hates cleaning GOLD POD!

Advice to Management

Have environmental services clean Gold Pod! Cleaning wasn't in our job description.

7. "Horrible experience"

Former Employee - Software Analyst in Newington, CT
    Former Employee - Software Analyst in Newington, CT

I worked at Hartford Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good team, team, team,team,team,team, helpful and free food sometimes,
    Nothing more I can think of

Cons

Old technology
    They interviewed 5 times and hired.
    No official offer letter was given. Seems like already planned to layoff.
    Was given less thn 12 weeks to prove myself not even six months.
    Having 8 years of experience in IT field in the end of 10th week manager says you should go for entry level position. My skills and confidence was questioned.
    Very rude, unethical and old environment. Employees have been in this role for over 25 years and don't even know what lync is.
    All my initial weeks was wasted in meeting people all over which was called orientation but was waste of time in my field. Orientation should be for one day not for weeks. Then they expect I prove myself after wasting weeks and during end of the year when people are out on vacation.
    Anyway I am happy I am out. After spending couple of weeks there I realized they had the oldest systems and I would have missed out the newest technology if I continued.

Advice to Management

Understand everybody has different ways of working and do not waste weeks in so called orienrations if you expect people to prove themselves in a week.

8. "Patient Care Associate"

Former Employee - Patient Care Associate in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Patient Care Associate in Hartford, CT

I worked at Hartford Hospital part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loved my staff and I loved the patient population. Most people wanted to help each other to get through the long work day. New Grad friendly

Cons

Patient load could be a bit much. Sometime management was poorly organized. Also, a lot of times staffing organization was terrible.

Advice to Management

Management was poorly organized. Also, a lot of times staffing organization was terrible. In my managers defense, she was overseeing multiple floors in the hospital due to the lack of management staff, so it's more of a concern for the hospital as a whole.

9. "Great work environoment"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Hartford Hospital part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work. challenging yet exciting

Cons

working every other weekend required

10. "financial counselor"

Current Employee - Financial Counselor in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Financial Counselor in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Hartford Hospital part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Overall, professional work environment. Fast-paced

Cons

Budget issues, raises are sparce

"Auditor"

Former Employee - Auditor in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Auditor in Hartford, CT

I worked at Hartford Hospital (More than a year)

Pros

Was able to close out 3 audits

Cons

Worked by myself much of the time