Harvard Business School Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Harvard Business School Dean Nitin Nohria
Nitin Nohria

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Respectful of work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Felt like I was able to make substantial contributions to my supervisor's research; learned a lot in the process (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor management that is more concerned with politics than with their staff is the primary issue (in 3 reviews)

• There was no upward mobility in my position, so I opted to leave (in 3 reviews)

1. "Research Associate"

I worked at Harvard Business School full-time

Pros

Collegial atmosphere, wherein co-workers are unified by the shared objective of conducting leading edge research and introducing the insights gained therein to students the greater community, all of which is furthered by professional support staff and access to comprehensive research tools.

Cons

Parking can be very challenging!

2. "Interesting enough but frustrating"

I worked at Harvard Business School full-time

Pros

You're amidst the HBS "circle" in a way, so you see some cool stuff. I would definitely call them "good employers" (payroll always on time, benefits etc.).

Cons

The people (alumni especially) are usually pretty tough to work with.

3. "Scribe Staff Assistant III"

Current Employee - Scribe in Allston, MA
    Current Employee - Scribe in Allston, MA

I have been working at Harvard Business School part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Scribe job is very unique. You work only when the MBA students are in session, with a few exceptions like graduation or pre-matriculation events where they offer Scribes extra hours. Sitting in on all the first-year MBA classes has been amazing for me and I've learned a lot about finance, marketing and leadership. Scribes take attendance and capture student comments on a laptop. Each Scribe spends a week in each section and rotates throughout the semester. Even though the nature of the job is not interactive, the Scribes have formed a very cohesive group and often eat lunch together or meet up after work. They are from all walks of life and are a very interesting and engaging bunch. I've really enjoyed working on special projects such as commencement and other experiential learning days. Harvard also has great benefits with health insurance, $40 classes at the Extension School, tuition reimbursement, access to all Harvard libraries and Commuter Choice travel reimbursement. I also have a great supervisor who has really advocated for the Scribes and has worked hard to streamline our work.

Cons

It is a very time-specific job. Scribes check in 30 minutes before class and then stay for the cases scheduled for that day--usually 8:30-12 or 8:30-3. There is no flexibility around when you work and no option for working from home. If a Scribe is sick they sometimes record the lecture. However, it has been nice to get all major holidays off, a week of paid vacation between Christmas and New Years, January term off and summer vacation off. This could be the perfect job if you are writing a dissertation, have children in school, or are working on important personal projects like writing a book or filming a movie. There is very little interaction with students and faculty, even though you spend hours with them in the same classroom every day. Sometimes I feel like they don't even see me, which was hard to deal with at first. Scribes do not comment in class and are supposed to be objective and accurate in their reports of the class sessions. Some of the discussions are very heated and controversial and it is hard to just sit there and type when you are dying to say something! The Scribe job is unusual and some parts (like unpaid leave all summer) can be tricky to manage.

Advice to Management

I have been very happy at HBS. It's amazing that we can receive full benefits for part-time work. The Scribe position is unique and I'd love to see more support for our unusual circumstances, like the opportunity to work part-time on special projects during the summer or help moving into more permanent positions at HBS.

4. "Great place to work but difficult to advance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allston, MA

I have been working at Harvard Business School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked for HBX for 3 years and have loved my experience. The people who work here are amazing and the two supervisors I've had have been incredible and encouraging. Personal growth is a big focus at HBS and the school offers numerous workshop and networking opportunities. It is a very collaborative and respectful environment, not as competitive as you may think. Most people at HBX leave right at 5pm, and the organization strives for a healthy work/life balance. And the insurance coverage is amazing! Another great benefit is being able to take courses at the Extension School for $40. Lastly, managers are extremely accessible and approachable and try to be as transparent as possible.

Cons

It is extremely difficult to advance. There are no "promotions," only "job reclassifications"

5. "Research Assistant"

I worked at Harvard Business School part-time

Pros

You work with brilliant professors and graduate students and will, therefore, learn a lot.

Cons

The pay is only OK, but nothing really to complain about given it's as good or better than any other campus job and you learn a lot and make good connections.

Advice to Management

Give more research opportunities to undergrads!

6. "Great"

I have been working at Harvard Business School full-time

Pros

Flexibility and diversity in type of work

Cons

Balancing work between multiple professors

"research within organizational behavior"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Harvard Business School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

learned new research skills; flexible work schedule; great access to resources (library, other researchers)

Cons

more challenging than I had anticipated to transition from doing my own academic research as a PhD student to working for another prof and their research interests. Org Behavior and my own academic interests didn't always align. Felt isolated at times.

8. "Coaching & Programming Specialist"

Former Employee - Coaching & Programming Specialist in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Coaching & Programming Specialist in Boston, MA

Pros

It was a positive work environment with a very dedicated team manager who really tried to provide a fun atmosphere.

Cons

Scope of job and team was always changing and there were usually too many team meetings with no specific direction.

Advice to Management

The office may have changed since my time there but I would advise more concise directives for part time employees.

9. "Great benefits, OK atmosphere"

I worked at Harvard Business School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great benefits
    -Decent pay (if you're in the right bracket)
    -Nice facilities
    -No night or weekend work

Cons

-Poor management
    -People aren't that friendly
    -Limited upward movement

"Fantastic in every dimension except social environment"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Allston, MA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Allston, MA

I have been working at Harvard Business School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Academic excellence, benefits, facilities, resources, independence, flexibility

Cons

Research Associates are staggered throughout the campus, rather than in a joint workspace. The result is an isolating experience. Workspaces quickly empty - RA's instead choose to work from home or the library. For fresh and recent graduates, the social experience is a shock.

Advice to Management

Create a joint workspace for RA's