Harvard University Program Coordinator Reviews | Glassdoor

0 Rating
  1. "Great Environment"

Current Employee - Program Coordinator

I have been working at Harvard University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Job security, great benefits, an amazing place to be if you want to be in the field of education. Huge organization, you can essentially spend your entire career doing jobs for different schools.

Cons

Growth is slow and hard to come by. Higher education is not a place to go if you want an efficient HR offies.

Harvard University2019-08-05
  2. "Good stepping stone job"

Former Employee - Senior Program Coordinator

I worked at Harvard University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Opportunity to work with smart and driven people

Cons

Employees are not encouraged to use their vacation time; work/life balance is lacking

Harvard University2020-01-21

"Great place to begin a career"

I worked at Harvard University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I was able to get my master's at the Graduate School of Education nearly free after the tuition discount and support from my professional development in my office. My manager was incredibly supportive and caring and I got to do impactful, meaningful work with undergraduate students.

Cons

A lot of times there really is a lack of upward mobility- be it in your office itself or at the Unversity at large. It is difficult to get out of the union and there is little discussion about promotions even if you've been in your position for 3+ years. Management is slow to look into adjusting titles or job descriptions based on obvious changes that occur over time in any job.

Advice to Management

Help make more opportunities for people to grow! There are so many opportunities for professional development at the University, but it's hard to stay when there aren't jobs to move up into!

Harvard University2018-04-03
  4. "Great work/life balance"

Current Employee - Senior Program Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Harvard University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Wonderful benefits and this organization truly cares about the work/life balance.

Cons

Not much room for advancement. Very important to negotiate your starting salary because once you're in the system, you will not receive a raise without a fight.

Advice to Management

Promote from within! When you see someone doing a great job, reward them or you'll continue to have high turnover. Additionally, the union is great but also allows employees that are not performing well to stay without consequence.

Harvard University2017-10-22
  5. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Harvard University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are a lot of reasons to not only get a job at Harvard, but remain here. The benefits are incredible, including reduced tuition at the Extension School for anyone seeking to advance their education. There are so many operating units that even if you aren't fully satisfied with your position, after some time, it's fairly easy to move into a new position.

Cons

Although the University has really tried to tout the "One Harvard" line for the past couple of years, most programs and offices are really compartmentalized in their approach and not every system works the same across the board. Harvard could do work on creating a more uniform approach to it's administrative systems

Advice to Management

Focus on career development for your administrators, not just the academics. The admin teams keep the university afloat, and you need to reward them for that.

Harvard University2017-09-01
  6. "Perfect Work-Life Balance"

I have been working at Harvard University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent health, dental, vacation benefits, plus cool perks like free flowers in the spring and ability to take classes for $40 at the Extension School.

Cons

Although there is plenty of opportunities to move around, moving up within a department can be hard if you are are in the union (I think it's based on seniority rather than merit and past experience).

Advice to Management

I've had many micro-managers - tough to work for.

Harvard University2017-04-07

"Program Coordinator - Harvard Chan School"

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Harvard University full-time for less than a year

Pros

Holiday pay/time, low health insurance costs, MBTA subsidy

Cons

Zero autonomy or flexibility for front desk staff down to having to send managers drafts before sending out even the most mundane emails. Hierarchical resulting in more tenured staff having assistants or programs coordinators file folders or make copies for them just because they seemingly can. Workflow can be dependent on what managers want to delegate to you on any given day - some roles have no defined set of duties or tasks built in. Managers promoted to that level without a management background or it being determined that they can manage people. Strict on the 9-5 schedule for some but not others with no rhyme or reason associated with it (not based on actual staffing or student needs).

Advice to Management

Hire people with actual management skills or capabilities. Before posting new positions think about whether you actually need someone in a full-time role for a particular department. Require managers to post job descriptions that accurately reflect what the job is including dotted line managers, workflow, etc. Revisit job titles - one school cannot possibly have this many 'deputy' and 'assistant' directors.

Harvard University2017-02-06

"Worked at the Graduate School of Education PPE"

I worked at Harvard University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Harvard has excellent benefits: healthcare, education etc. I also worked with a wonderful group of people at PPE. Most of them became really good friends and most really worked hard. We had a lot of work so I learned how to effectively manage time and I can handle a lot of work well. I wouldn't trade this experience at all because it made me a better employee.

Cons

Overall the Harvard Graduate School of Education does not seem to pay its employees well at all. Also Programs in Professional Education (PPE) in many ways was not a good place to work. The office runs high quality professional development programs for leaders in education but is understaffed, has a high ratio of managers to staff and works its employees unfairly hard. The turnover rate is extremely high. Many people I know are like me and say they are glad they had the experience because it did make them better workers but did not liked working there. Unfortunately I wouldn't recommend working in this particular office which is too bad because they do good work

Advice to Management

Pay employees better and treat them Better as well

Harvard University2016-10-30
  9. "Great place."

I worked at Harvard University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's Harvard. Lots of big names and opportunities for personal connection and growth. Great location. Beautiful. Great people to work with.

Cons

No room for professional growth. No pathways for expanding outside of one's role. Archaic systems. Everything takes way too long to get done.

Advice to Management

None.

Harvard University2016-09-27
  10. "Entry Level to Middle Management"

I have been working at Harvard University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place to get your foot in the door when beginning your first career

Cons

Unionized, which has its pros and cons

Advice to Management

promote more to retain more employees

Harvard University2016-08-01