Harvard University Staff Assistant III Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Harvard University Staff Assistant III Reviews

0 Rating
  1. "Staff Assistant"

Staff Assistant III in Boston, MA

I have been working at Harvard University

Pros

great colleagues, amazing work/life balance

Cons

none so far at the moment.

Harvard University2015-12-13

"That's how they get you."

Current Employee - Staff Assistant III in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Harvard University full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great pay and benefits, if you are able to use them.

Cons

Little to no training. Emphasis on decentralization results in complete lack of oversight, community, and compassion. Extremely high expectations of self-driven work, with no motivation besides compensation. Tons of resources are advertised but very few are actually available. Health insurance is deceptive in the same way, with reality being nothing like the options offered. All the worst parts of being an assistant-- constantly solving problems for and fixing mistakes of faculty and staff who couldn't care less about you.

Advice to Management

Hire employee advocates. Have trainings which employees can actually attend. Create better systems.

Harvard University2019-11-21
  3. "Good benefits, Annual Union-Protected Raises, Increase Living Wage"

I have been working at Harvard University full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Health Coverage, Wellness Classes, Location

Cons

Increase Living Wage for Administrative/Staff Assistants

Advice to Management

Offer quicker responses for internal hires. Increase diversity hires in management positions.

Harvard University2019-09-30
  4. "9 months here so far, and no plans to leave anytime soon"

Current Employee - Staff Assistant III in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Harvard University part-time for less than a year

Pros

Really good benefits, supportive coworkers (at least in my office), lots of resources and professional development opportunities available

Cons

Really large organization means sometimes it can take a really long time to get things fixed, and there's a lot of one office does things this way and another office does things this way so the learning curve can be a little difficult at the start.

Harvard University2017-03-14

"Not much room for growth in the Harvard alumni association"

I have been working at Harvard University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are nice, the benefits and the exposure and collaboration with other departments.

Cons

Not much interaction with students, very customer service heavy (phones & email)

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with staff and less micro-managing

Harvard University2015-10-28

"Staff Assistant III"

Staff Assistant III in Brockton, MA

I have been working at Harvard University

Pros

Excellent benefits, generous time off, annual raises for union, my supervisor is very flexible with schedule

Cons

None come to mind - if I had to commute to Boston that would be a con for me.

Advice to Management

I am located off campus so can't really comment on this.

Harvard University2015-07-24
  7. "Great Place, wish work culture was better"

Former Employee - Staff Assistant III in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Harvard University full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits, University has excellent resources, interesting and educated colleagues

Cons

Corporate culture (in the negative) has infiltrated in the last several years, it is noticeably different from when I started 14 years ago, very little upward mobility, Many long-time employees jumped ship when I was there working for the libraries.

Advice to Management

Your long-time employees want Harvard to be better. Communicate openly and honestly. If you want feedback from them, you have to re-earn their trust.

Harvard University2015-07-08

"Keep your head down and mouth shut"

Former Employee - Staff Assistant III in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Harvard University full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great health insurance and benefits.

Cons

Minimal training and no mentorship provided. Extreme levels of compartmentalization where you are unable to pursue any work outside of your job description. You will be yelled at if you have any academic or work interests outside of your job description as well. Lots of behind-the-back talk among employees and no direct feedback is ever provided. Unless you are faculty or you have your doctorate, you are unable to provide feedback or have your own opinion about the way things are run. Remember that Harvard has outgrown its status as a university. It is a factory which prides itself on intellect and innovation, yet this could not be any further from the truth.

Advice to Management

Provide actual training programs instead of throwing people into the fire right away. Bring people to campus to interview instead of relying on Skype to cut down on costs. Encourage employees to be direct with each other instead of condoning passive-aggressive behavior that occurs in most departments. Provide employees with a good way to express their opinions and frustrations.

Harvard University2014-07-27

"Decent Salary, Great Benefits!"

Staff Assistant III in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Harvard University

Pros

Great benefits package. 15 vacation days + 3 personal days (18 total) to start! After 5 years of service, earn 20 vacation days, plus personal days, per year. Great discounts on Harvard courses - take Harvard Extension School courses for $40 each (currently) - up to two per semester (spring, fall, and summer). I don't know what will happen in this economy, but there have been up until summer 2009 great yearly pay raises (4 to 5 %) - negotiated by the Harvard Clerical and Technical Workers Union. A lot of professional career-development and skills-development trainings and workshops. An environmentally friendly environment.

Cons

For some, the salary may not be as high as could be earned elsewhere. Harvard, surprisingly, will not give free tuition to the children of its employees!

Advice to Management

Work with the union to make sure that pay raises for non-management are not frozen as they were for management staff last year, or horribly reduced.

Harvard University2010-03-31
  10. "Not too shabby"

Staff Assistant III

I have been working at Harvard University

Pros

I enjoy working at Harvard. Great benefits and tuition reimbursement. People are very enthusiastic and strive to be the best.

Cons

Wish I could be making more money. Raises seem to come few and far between because you are basically forced to be in the Union at a certain pay grade.

Harvard University2012-05-02