Harvard University "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Harvard University Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Nov 12, 2019

4.2
Harvard University CEO Lawrence S. Bacow
Lawrence S. Bacow
Pros
Cons
  • "Pay is lower compared to private sector (see work life balance for offset)(in 55 reviews)

• "Low pay compared to amount of work(in 45 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good life"

Current Employee - PhD Student

I have been working at Harvard University full-time

Pros

Good work life balance here

Cons

Long duration Of the degree

Harvard University2019-11-12
  2. "Video editor/producer"

I have been working at Harvard University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work/life balance, solid benefits, supportive management.

Cons

bureaucracy can get pretty glacial when dealing with multiple departments across the school(probably similar to other large academic institutions).

Harvard University2019-10-21
  3. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Contract Analyst

I have been working at Harvard University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing benefits - especially for a great work life balance

Cons

Harvard is a disjointed environment at times. Not knowing who to talk to can make projects take longer sometimes.

Harvard University2019-09-04
  4. "Good employer, massively decentalized IT space"

Current Employee - IT Architect in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Harvard University full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits, work life balance, diversity of staff and opportunites. Working in Harvard Square.

Cons

Parking in Harvard Square. Pay is lower compared to private sector (see work life balance for offset). Decentalized nature makes cohesive strategy difficult across business units or schools. Funding model for central IT causes external management to look at it as a cost center. Some dead weight in the ranks (although this is getting better as legacy processes are being evaluated).

Advice to Management

Fewer goals (HUIT) will enable various units to 'row together' when cross team resources are in contention for big projects. Honestly embrace agile methods and use dedicated product owners, even if this means 15% turn over for those who can't achieve.

Harvard University2019-08-01

"Director-Level Role in Central Administration"

Current Employee - Director of Marketing and Communications in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Harvard University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Harvard is a wonderful place to work. The work is challenging and I love coming in to the office every day. The vacation time is great (4 weeks PTO, 3 personal, and 12 sick days per year, plus a week off at Christmas), and include access to discounted wellness services (like yoga and massages), on-campus gyms, museums, and $40/semester classes at the Extension School. Where I work in Central Admin, there's a great... work/life balance and I truly feel the organization hires very smart, ethical people who believe in the mission of Harvard. Mistreatment of colleagues is not tolerated by senior management or administrators. Good work is celebrated and rewarded.

Cons

Doing good work doesn't necessarily mean you'll be promoted. The promotion structure is based on the needs of the organization, not the individual's performance, so there's no guarantee that you'll be able to move up or make more if you do well, unless there's somewhere to move. This disincentivizes hard work, though most people that work here are overachievers :) Salaries are somewhat low, but for some, benefits... make up for it if you take advantage of them. Space is tight and the offices aren't as nice as you'd think, given the amount of money Harvard has!

Advice to Management

Review salaries and compensation structure related to similar organizations. A number of very smart, qualified people have left our office because, while benefits are good, that's often not enough.

Harvard University2019-07-12
  6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Assistant Director, Communications Content Strategy

I have been working at Harvard University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Meaningful and interesting work, good work/life balance, great benefits

Cons

Difficult to advance internally, very hierarchical

Harvard University2019-07-10
  7. "Stable, interesting work with great benefits, ok pay, career advancement is lacking"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Harvard University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic benefits (top-tier medical / dental plans, take extension school classes for $50 a semester, retirement account contributions and more), good work/life balance, decent amount of vacation. Get to work with smart people and work on interesting projects. Staff/admin jobs tend to be stable long-term, but research-oriented jobs can be term-limited or subject to disappearing when grant funding runs dry.

Cons

Little career advancement opportunities unless you are faculty. Pay and caliber of coworkers won't be as good as industry (at least for IT), although probably as good as you can get for an academic environment.

Harvard University2019-06-05
  8. "Excellent benefits"

Former Employee - Communications Associate in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Harvard University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working at Harvard was such a pleasant experience in regards to work-life balance and benefits that it made super hard to leave

Cons

Sometimes it is hard to move up professionally, probably because people don't want to leave

Harvard University2019-04-09
  9. "Solid low stress work Enivronment"

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Harvard University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work Life Balance is great, low stress, nothing is ever rushed.

Cons

Lack of challenging work, resistant to change. Culture is lacking

Harvard University2019-04-02

"Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Harvard University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked at Harvard Divinity School, and it has so far been my favorite place to work. Great pay and benefits, great coworkers, free food and drinks at events, and I even had my own office. HDS is also committed to enforcing a healthy work/life balance, treating employees respectfully, hiring a diverse workforce, and holding anti-discrimination trainings. That's not to say that there aren't still some issues, but... overall HDS does actually strive to be a great workplace for everyone, which I appreciated.

Cons

Because it's a school of religion, it tends to attract some weirdos who contact the school or just walk in because "God told them they're a student here now." I've been told the school recently implemented a few basic security measures, so I doubt that's much of an issue anymore.

Harvard University2019-02-20