Harvey Nash Group Reviews in London, England | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Harvey Nash Group CEO Albert Ellis
Albert Ellis

Pros
Cons
  • Favouritism is rife, there is zero training, zero work life balance, highly juvenile culture and people are stressed through the roof (in 5 reviews)

• There are no cons in my estimation (in 6 reviews)

1. "Business Development"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Positive environment with a strong CEO

Cons

Need to embrace new ideas faster

2. "Recruitment Consultant"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in London, England (UK)

I worked at Harvey Nash Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good name in the industry
    Central London offices
    Good mix of individuals

Cons

As a Recruitment Group you sometimes fight against other companies in the same group!

"A really good, solid recruitment company"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Harvey Nash Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you want to succeed at recruitment and enjoy yourself when doing it, you need a few things back from your employer:

A good brand name in the industry that clients and candidates trust.
    Good leadership who are accessible at all times and who live and breathe what they preach.
    A silly, professional, crazy culture. What I mean by that is, recruitment is a very stressful game that requires a lot of hard work and I personally think that in order to manage that stress you need to work somewhere that harnesses a culture where people are given the freedom to act a bit crazy and occasionally a little bit weird.
    A good commission structure and the opportunity to reach your earning goals.
    The right tools to help you do the job as best you can.
    Tailored training for junior consultants, senior consultants and management.

Harvey Nash give you all of the above. All you need to do is turn up for work on time, work hard and enjoy the rewards. Sounds fair to me!

Cons

Training could be better for experienced consultants.
    More toilets (3 stalls for 150 men) Not ideal
    Some management methods are not how I would do them (see below under "Advise for management")

Advice to Management

My team is brilliant at this but I think some of the other managers need to focus on their teams output not input. I find if you put consultants under a ton of pressure to make x many calls per day and spend x amount of time on the phone, you will drive the wrong behaviors. If you get a consultant to commit to producing x amount of money in revenue over the month/year and then work together together to plan how they are going to do that then I think you get a much better outcome. You also get greater buy in from your employees and in the long run they learn how to work independently and maturely rather than just going through the motions of calling people for the sake of not being grilled on their phone time. Treat your team like adults and trust them to deliver what they say they will. If they fail, then you can look back at their input and make the necessary adjustments. Just my opinion

5. "Good"

I have been working at Harvey Nash Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company with career progression. If you have an IT background it will be beneficial, but general sales/recruitment experience is just as good.

Cons

Your experience will greatly depend on who your managing consultant is.

"Technical Expert"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

You have some kind of unpaid work

Cons

In short you WILL get ripped off as a contractor at Harvey Nash!

It has now been 3 months since I started my assignment for a job they placed me at at Google UK Ltd and I am still waiting to get paid for the for it!!!

Google has been confirming my time sheets to Harvey but Harvey Nash and I have been calling them every day asking for payments but the payroll team has failed to pay 3 months of amount due.

I highly advise against doing any business whatsoever with Harvey Nash.

Harvey Nash Group Response

Jul 20, 2016 – Director of Talent

I’m sorry to hear that your experience to date has not met our usual high standards of service, and I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. Having spoken to the relevant business unit, I ... More

"Not as they advertised"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in London, England (UK)

I worked at Harvey Nash Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The great people within the organization are REALLY amazing.
    -Solid comp plan.

Cons

-extreme micromanagement
    -hypocritical expectations from management
    -lack of work life balance
    -lack of loyalty to employees

"A Terrible Place To Work"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Harvey Nash Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- You get the opportunity to work with industry leading clients.

Cons

I worked for Technology Recruitment London and it ended up being the most depressing job I've ever had for the following reasons:

- There is no career path at all which is very odd for a recruitment agency. There were never any targets in place to get promoted.

- Most of the Senior Management Team have been promoted not because they've earned/deserve it but because of the amount of time they've been working for the company.

- The training they offer is terrible and consists solely of having themed sessions with under qualified managers. Graduates are sold on joining because there is supposedly good training when in reality it's pretty much non-existent. Harvey Nash's competitors offer much better, structured training.

- The management team bully their staff. I've seen Consultants been reduced to tears on the sales floor before.

- It's the most KPI driven environment I've ever worked. KPI stats have to be reported daily and every Wednesday to a senior director. It's suffocating.

- The commission structure is awful. As a contract recruiter you are paid on the initial deal value not timesheets through the door like most recruitment companies. This means you are liable to clawback and crucially if contracts extend the rate of commission is less. The commission structure for a permanent recruiter is equally bad.

- Basic salary is well below market rate. There is no salary banding so everyone is on a different basic which causes bad feeling in the office. Given that there are no targets to get promoted or pay rise I felt stuck on that salary.

- The incentives are rubbish verging on non existent. Every sales company should have good incentives and at Harvey Nash they are seriously few and far between or un-achievable for most.

- Graduates joining are not put on full commission to start with. In the banking and finance practise for example graduate consultants have to do 10 deals before they are put on full commission which is not the industry norm at all.

- They are not focussed on delivery to their clients which in this market is backward. They are much more interested in winning new clients but less focussed on delivery. They have an offshore team in Vietnam and they expect them to source CV's for you which in my opinion is not giving the best service to their clients. They market it as a 24/7 CV sourcing solution but in reality they expect the team in Vietnam to find CV's and Consultants in London to do Business Development.

- I've never worked anywhere where so many people are unhappy which is depressing.

- An email got sent round last year from the Talent Team asking employees to come here and give positive reviews as there were so many bad ones. For me that shows the company is not genuine.

- I genuinely think Senior Management have no idea how bad it is to be a Consultant working for them.

Advice to Management

- Value your staff.
    - Implement a career path and structure.
    - Incentivise and set targets for employees to progress.

9. "One of the best companies I've worked for"

I worked at Harvey Nash Group full-time

Pros

When I read the negative reviews about Harvey Nash, I felt compelled to share my experience on here as the poor experiences of a few shouldn't outweigh the vast majority of positives that exist within the company. During my time there, I learnt SO much and now having moved on I can confirm it's rare to come across great places to work like this. I miss the work environment and the people (well, most of them). I mean, who says this stuff? There are some clear reasons why HN should be seriously considered for anyone pursuing a career in recruitment... strong training programme, balanced community of trainees, mid-level, managerial and directors - to name a few! There are opportunities to progress and be given more responsibility if you prove yourself.. and yes, that means working hard. I really dislike people who expect reward when they don't work for it. The Directors here will recognise real achievements and unlike other recruitment businesses out there, the things that HN achieve considering their size are outstanding. OK, we could do better in getting industry recognition but our clients know us well and they know best. So here's an outline of other things which I think make HN awesome:
    - Mentoring programme
    - Thorough and challenging recruitment process (this can mean 4/5 stages but that didn't put me off)
    - Good leadership from the Directors
    - Diverse teams and lots of crazy personalities to get along with
    - Interesting work, keeps you busy and gets you thinking outside of the box.. not just banging the phones
    - Pension and company shares scheme is strong compared to competitors

Cons

So you're probably wondering why I left ... definitely my own personal reasons and nothing to do with the company itself but here are some areas they can look to improve:
    - keep salaries competitive
    - lose the favouritism (which exists in a few teams)
    - some of your leaders need more training so they can effectively (and with some patience too) draw out potential in others
    - hiring managers need to pay more attention to best practice and be consistent in their recruitment process
    - ensure opportunities for progression can be given if you want to continue hiring great sales people

Advice to Management

I know you listen - so please don't lose the openness and transparency that exists within the business, but sometimes things need to move a little faster and quicker. You also need to ensure your communication filters down to the WHOLE of the business, and make sure those in management are held accountable for their leadership capabilities (or lack of). Those in positions of power can effectively pass the buck to those doing the 'leg work' or blame the market for poor performance. How about some accountability?

10. "Friendly, full of opportunity and busy"

I have been working at Harvey Nash Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

So much work on that never a dull moment
    new starter training program
    BGB incentives and rewards

Cons

almost too busy to get any time for my own business development

Advice to Management

Keep focused on keeping the culture professional

11. "Good global company looking to the future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Harvey Nash Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great head office and location
    Great colleagues and a very stable team with a helpful and positive manager
    Good benefits
    Entrepreneurial
    Collaborative environment
    Opportunity for training and travel between offices

Cons

Lack of desk space and storage around the office
    Don't always feel that support staff are recognised for the work they do behind the scenes

Advice to Management

Remember that the company is not just made up of recruitment consultants, and they couldn't do their job without the support of others