Hasbro Reviews | Glassdoor

Hasbro Reviews

Updated November 4, 2017

2.0
Hasbro Chairman of the Board, President and Chief Executive Officer Brian Goldner
Brian Goldner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Company knows this and will under compensate full time employees (in 18 reviews)

• Some departments are understaffed, so work/life balance is different depending on the department you work in (in 9 reviews)

"Clean up house from old timers"

Current Employee - Someone In Finance and Accounting in East Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Someone In Finance and Accounting in East Providence, RI

I have been working at Hasbro full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Half day Fridays, toy boutique with deeply discounted toys and games.

Cons

Large multinational run like a mom and pop shop. CFO gets involved in menial tasks such as approving business class travel when trip is under 10 hours. Personal friendships are more important than getting results and performance. The “friends” exploit their personal connection with CFO to advance their careers and the careers of the favorite employees regardless of poor performance.

Advice to Management

Review employees fairly. Identify people with over 15 years of service that have no defined roles and possibly incent them into voluntary retirement with a special voluntary retirement package.

"Not all that"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

I have been working at Hasbro full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

1/2 workday Friday
    week off during Xmas holidays

Cons

Poor Management
    Eliminate employees often, especially ones with over 25 yrs of service
    Poor Communication
    Poor work/life balance
    Heavy workloads
    Difficult to advance/prompted in company

Advice to Management

Value and appreciate employees, Hold management training for management that is responsible for a team; hold them accountable . Listen to employees concerns; make them feel they have a voice and the resources they can trust.

"Do Not Work As A Contract Worker"

Former Contractor - Contract - Archivist in Pawtucket, RI
    Former Contractor - Contract - Archivist in Pawtucket, RI

I worked at Hasbro as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment
    Progressive company
    Interesting material to work with every day
    The hours are really great
    Toy discounts for what they have available at the store, and anything that you're excited to see come out will generally be in the store
    The people around the office are great to work with and everyone wants to do good work.

Cons

No health care offered unless through your agency. No security when job ends.
    Job can end any time for no reason.
    There's about a 10% rate of actually becoming a full time employee from being a full time temp.
    No one tries to give it their all, and everyone is constantly cutting corners
    Emphasis on the brand rather than the content of that brand
    Rather than innovating and creating, the licensing department simply goes out and retroactively designs new art and products based on what's in the marketplace. These lines end up two years behind everything else that's coming out, because they are designed two years in advance. The strategy serves to make their products obsolete, which creates an environment in which employees don't feel that their work is anything even remotely interesting (Not me personally, but many full timers I worked with, including one who left the position because of the lack of creative freedom.)
    As a temp in a random department, I found myself having to do things like clean out the coffee maker on a weekly basis because no one else would/did.
    When you get pulled away from this job for reasons out of your control and your direct supervisor's control, you think you'll be back soon. You probably won't.
    You don't want to leave when you're ushered out the door, and you can't say goodbye to your team. Just take your crap and leave basically.

Advice to Management

I worked for your company twice in a temp capacity. This company completely burned me the second time around, and like the ex girlfriend, I am long gone and I will never return.

"Better to be Salaried"

Former Contractor - KRE-O Digital Assembly/Illustration Designer in Pawtucket, RI

I worked at Hasbro as a contractor

Pros

Working within the toy/games industry. Many creative minds and personalities come together to form a unique work environment.

Cons

Being a contract player isn't great. I was told that I'm disposable and used mainly as a rendering workhorse. Additionally, other teams within the company have ownership issues over projects, despite being a part of the same corporate family.

Advice to Management

Contract employees (and interns) should be treated with respect.

"Luke warm - would give it 2.5 stars if I could"

Pros

Be smart...but not too smart. Be innovative...but not too innovative. Be creative, talented, hopeful, with amazing ideas, but not too much...you get it.
    Great brands to lean on, stable, predictable, looks good on paper, half day Fridays, easy access to opportunities to further your career.

Cons

Very much an old boys club - not innovative at all, stuck in the 1950s thinking. The location is having an existential crisis. Very cliquey and immature behavior. Borderline boring - leaning on the big name brands too much. Management is full of bullies, but worse, no one cares.

Advice to Management

Forget Lego, look at the tech companies that are in the forefront of change - Facebook for starters. Listen to the people you hire. Stop stealing ideas from your workers.

"Here's some truth for you"

I have been working at Hasbro full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many of the reviews on here are extremely positive and I can understand why, because it's true the company is full of really smart and achievement-oriented people. But many of these reviews mention half day Fridays and similar perks that give the impression that the job is so much fun. What's not mentioned is that after the layoffs 4-5 years ago the company has not hired back anywhere near the amount of staff they need to get the work done. In some departments, like Sales and Marketing, people have been overworked for years and morale is low. Rah-rah speeches are given about how we are #1 now but that didn't happen without sacrifices and long hours! Who cares about a half day Fridays when you have to work nights at home and Saturdays and Sundays? The pressure is intense and it's mentally exhausting. Work life balance is a joke if you care about succeeding and getting the work done. Also, promotions and getting ahead can be difficult in some departments and based on perceptions or favoritism. The first few years I worked here I loved my job, but it's different now. New applicants - be sure to ask the right questions during your interviews.

Cons

Need to hire more people
    No work life balance
    Not fun; pressure

Advice to Management

Nothing that they already haven't heard

7. "Internship"

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Very unstructured, lots of down time. Only the MBA interns were given responsibility

"Management feels threatened when you try to suggest process improvements. Financial team needs a managerial overhaul."

Former Employee - Order and Policy Financial Analyst in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Order and Policy Financial Analyst in Providence, RI

I worked at Hasbro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Half day Friday's year round. Good benefits. Amazing offices in Providence. They do a lot for the community.

Cons

Senior management with no formal education. Spending happy sales teams. High cube walls no team feel.

"Trouble in Toyland"

Pros

Half-day Fridays all year long

Cons

Think twice before you trek to Rhode Island for Hasbro's benefit. Behind Mr. Potato Head's smiling face lies a demanding, unsupportive work culture and some problem execs who make working at Hasbro a challenge. A common complaint is workload -- too few people to execute the ever-increasing amount of projects – and rampant micro-management. There is little training and you will be expected to know everything "day one" while wearing many hats. The result is burnout and high turnover.

Advice to Management

Don't support executives who engage in bullying behavior, especially after receiving multiple complaints. Invest in your hires with coaching and training and give them a chance to grow and thrive. Ensure you have adequate staff in place to meet your ambitious growth plans.

"Not all it was cracked up to be"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Hasbro as a contractor

Pros

If you're into toys at all... this is a very interesting job. I worked on multiple lines and found it to be mostly great.

Cons

I was there for a six month contract (I will never understand this "contract work force philosophy - unless it's purely pure plug-n-chug production work, the employee should be vested in where they work) and never did I get that "team" feeling. Because you're contract, you're a number, and those who are lucky enough to become salaried employees don't see much reason in putting in any real "getting-to-know-you time, since it's only a matter of time until you're gone.

I found myself perpetually confused by a very over-the-top complicated review process that never seemed to repeat itself twice. My senior designers after the first few training weeks time period was up, became less and less communicative if they took the time to direct me at all.

I hope that other departments at Hasbro are managed and handled better.

Advice to Management

Don't rely too much on the words of your seniors. They're over worked and emotionally fried. Being accountable means being there to see it for yourself.