Hasbro Reviews | Glassdoor

Hasbro Reviews

Updated July 17, 2017

Hasbro Chairman of the Board, President and Chief Executive Officer Brian Goldner
Brian Goldner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Half day Fridays are great in the summer (in 54 reviews)

• Great work/life balance for the majority of the time (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Some departments are understaffed, so work/life balance is different depending on the department you work in (in 8 reviews)

• Hasbro loves to hire temporary staff so they don't pay out stocks or benefits, so it is really rare to get hired full-time (in 14 reviews)

1. "Good for some, not for all."

Former Employee - Product Designer in Pawtucket, RI
    Former Employee - Product Designer in Pawtucket, RI

I worked at Hasbro (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company benefits, Starting Salary, and competitive 401 K.
    Excellent time off (Fridays you'll leave at 1) and very family oriented.
    Fun environment and they definitely celebrate their IP's success. (movie showings, release parties etc.)

Cons

Upper management is old and narrow-minded.
    Stymied creativity depending on department. Some departments re-hash old ideas for cheap.
    Most if not all Art and Design is sent outside to vendors. A pro if you're a freelancer but not if you're internal and part of the design team.
    Not a lot of opportunities to move upward or get promoted.
    In the middle of a "not-so-stimulating" area of RI.

"Finance department needs overhaul"

Former Employee - Analyst in Pawtucket, RI
    Former Employee - Analyst in Pawtucket, RI

I worked at Hasbro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Half work day Fridays and 401K plan

Cons

Management does not communicate well to employees when changes are made or acknowledge hard work

Advice to Management

To acknowledge employees hardwork
    Communicate changes before they happen

3. "Sourcing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Hasbro full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun environment, great co-workers, fun product

Cons

Low pay, too much travel, slow career growth

Advice to Management

Value your employees more

"Take a close look before deciding"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pawtucket, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pawtucket, RI

I worked at Hasbro full-time

Pros

Half Day Fridays, onsite Gym, cool Toys around the office

Cons

Incompetence in Management. There are many managers around the company that really should not be managers.

Advice to Management

Please try to promote more people based on skill set not just likeability or politics

5. "Had the time of my life here, as a member of the R&D department."

Former Contractor - Product Designer in Providence, RI
    Former Contractor - Product Designer in Providence, RI

I worked at Hasbro as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

One pro is seeing an item we have worked on become real- idea to design to shelf in under one year.

Cons

The politics and egos are difficult to deal with. The managers are out of touch with the individuals and teams that are in the trenches, bringing new toys to the market. Also, when I was there, I (female) was paid much less than what my partner (male) was paid, for the same education, experience, and job title.

Advice to Management

Management, look after your teams, and have their backs!!! This will mean a happy staff, which means better results and a better bottom line! Invest in excellence!

6. "If you want a full-time position, don't join as a contractor"

Former Contractor - Global Brand Manager in Pawtucket, RI
    Former Contractor - Global Brand Manager in Pawtucket, RI

I worked at Hasbro as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Hasbro is an amazing company - great hours, and generally a group group of people. If you went to a top 20 college, you would be in the minimum at the company - it's no frills and they hire hard working staff.

Cons

Tough to be a freelancer or contractor here. Hasbro loves to hire temporary staff so they don't pay out stocks or benefits, so it is really rare to get hired full-time. Some people love temporary work and the flexibility it entails, however, I worked a few contracts here and never saw that turn into a full-time role for myself, or any of my peers.

"Coordinator"

Former Employee - Coordinator in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Providence, RI

I worked at Hasbro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Half day Friday's, discounted toys, good vacation policy

Cons

Hard to grow within the company - lots of politics

Advice to Management

Keep the hiring and promotion process transparent and clear

"loosing everything that made it a great company"

Former Employee - Facilities Technician in Pawtucket, RI
    Former Employee - Facilities Technician in Pawtucket, RI

Pros

Hasbro is a large global toy company, they have excellent pay and benefits over all. The employees at Hasbro are an exciting mixture of creative,dedicated,and family oriented people.Working with an entire team of people dedicated to making children happy is rewarding and pleasurable every day. The compensation was above market for my particular position, and vacation/holiday package is 3 to 6 weeks, very generous.

Cons

Hasbro is falling into corporate america ideals. Cutting employees, outsourcing jobs, freezing annual cost of living increases, and cancelling all of the fringe benefits that used to be common place . Haunted house for all employees to bring in their children? company sponsored big wheel racing? These things and dozens more made the company part of every employees family. That created a commitment to company that cannot be measured. Watching it all being taken away piece by piece has destroyed the personal relationship That built a great company. I"ll have another job soon enough but nothing will compare to the unique experience Hasbro provided and a driven involved staff, is paramount to success. that bond has fallen to you becoming just a number...is going to inevitably this loss of bond is going to severely impair Hasbro's future in the industry.

Advice to Management

The founders of hasbro had a set of ideal that should be A business model for a growing progressive company. I would like this note to impart a goal . ideal that was years in the making.and should be maintained at all cost.

9. "Dice roll for interns- but take the job anyway"

Former Intern - Design Co-op in Pawtucket, RI
    Former Intern - Design Co-op in Pawtucket, RI

I worked at Hasbro as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment is hands down the best. Its open, cheerful, decent priced food in the cafeteria.
    Cheap places in Pawtucket to eat (recommend Tiggers Two for breakfast).
    Shuttle bus from the train station is available.
    Always fun events going on that everyone participates in.
    There is a free gym to use in-house.
    Much more department communication and interaction than I expected. Constant interrelated team meetings, but not always serious ordeals.
    Huge Cintique for every designer!
    Free toys! (in free piles located precariously)
    Fridays, everyone gets out at 1pm!
    Everyone seems willing to answer questions you may have. Very approachable crew.

Cons

**Serious cons for interns listed farther below**

Cafeteria food isn't exactly tasty. Edible, but certainly not delicious. The caf staff are treated terribly by the kitchen heads.
    Not exactly a pretty town.
    Shuttle bus only fits 13 people, only recently they started getting a taxi for the morning overflow, evening is still a rat race. The shuttle also only runs at 2 times per location and leaves when full- even before its listed leave time. NO UBER or LYFT in area. Did I mention its provided by the cafeteria's company? Not by Hasbro.
    As an intern, I signed up for multiple company events, and never was emailed an invitation with info on time/location/etc.
    The gym is small and cramped. No variety in machines. As an intern you can't use it because you cant be "at work" without your manager there. No after hours stuff for interns.
    Departments tend to stay segregated by medium of their craft. Corporate has their own building away from the creatives. But since we don't have to worry offending visiting clients, our dress code is more lax.
    The IT department takes a super long time to do anything. I'm talking hours, to days, to weeks; even for the simplest things like a new mouse. They are probably understaffed and overworked.
    Interns have to play the room with regards to meetings. Smaller groups may enjoy your input. Larger groups will more than like give you undesired looks for speaking up, even once. Any meeting context you don't understand will NEVER be explained to you unless you ask questions specifically. But careful where you open your mouth; and don't be surprised if your glazed over.

There is a serious dice roll when getting a supervisor for your internship. Some work you hard- real work or grunt work (mostly latter), some will teach you the business ways, others will barely see you, or have you do pointless to no work. Attitudes/personality of any of these individuals are seriously 1-50; You never know what you're gonna get.
    People openly talk terribly about interns, even their own. Office politics I guess, but it was more than clear that hired workers do not think much of interns. We are not equal, no matter what kind of work we do.
    Meetings happen so much, it may not be possible to get regular one on one sessions, not even weekly, with your own overseer. It was so bad, it impacts getting work done.
    For Design Co-op at least, there is no program to follow as far as what to show, tell or teach any intern. There is no standard for what you will/should learn. No goals to be met. No reference for company process or application. You wont be briefed on your own work even. No one will break down anything for you to fully understand unless you ask. Hope you have a talent for picking things up on the fly!
    Intern or not, you will likely never get to work here again... All lower positions are filled by temp workers hired by a third party, with offered candidates from fourth party vendors . THEY DO NOT TELL YOU THIS. There is no direct application to Hasbro, and previous work here is not considered through the temp process either. Good luck getting back in.

Advice to Management

This wasn't a terrible experience... But it certainly was not educational. I did work, but learned nothing from Hasbro. Hopefully I learned enough from my personal experience and exploration.

Please, please, please make standard requirements for the internship experience. Make it clear between intern and manager what goals should be met, what work is being done, best way to go about it within Hasbro, tips/tricks and techniques shared; and provide a minimum of meetings that should be held between just them. Schedule all of it in advance.
    Make sure the intern has access to a computer and the department servers immediately!!! It was inexcusable the time I went without a computer (3 weeks); and having to start from scratch in my work, because I couldn't refer to already existing work on the server files! (finally had access just before I left) Both of these things were requested early on by me and my supervisor, multiple times.

Lastly, you should be open about the 'career opportunities' for interns. There has been talk of "using the intern pool" for a very, very long time. But right now it is only talk, and seems like it will stay that way. If so, state the impossibility of returning to Hasbro clearly. That those who did manage to get hired, worked several internships previously and hiring them in itself, is miraculous and unheard of.

10. "Great People, Lower-Scale Pay"

Former Employee - Senior Coordinator in Lincoln, RI
    Former Employee - Senior Coordinator in Lincoln, RI

I worked at Hasbro (Less than a year)

Pros

Hasbo is a fun and exciting place to work with excellent benefits and opportunities for career growth. The hours are reasonable and Fridays are half-days.

Cons

Work/Life balane is promoted, but not fully supported in certain positions. The pay is definitely on the lowest end of the median. Adminstrative staff perform work for a very large number of people, and take on several roles, which is unusually demanding in light of the low pay.