HashiCorp Reviews | Glassdoor

Dave McJannet

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"A Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at HashiCorp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great technology that is driving transformational changes for customers; thought leadership and continued innovation; aggressive compensation plans and ability to overachieve as an Account Manager; strong alliances with cloud vendors and system integrators; leadership that cares about the employees and has their best interest at heart.

Cons

Demand for our tools is requiring us to grow very quickly. It is important to maintain the strong culture and principles upon which HashiCorp was founded. I'm confident we will.

Advice to Management

Keep the thoughtful and pragmatic approach to growing the company as we continue to scale. Our technology is becoming the standard for the largest enterprises as they build a hybrid cloud operating model.

"Great market fit, great technical and sales leadership, market leading tools"

I have been working at HashiCorp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

HashiCorp has grown into a force in the market, helping customers move to a multi-cloud reality much faster and safer than they could otherwise. The sales team and customer support teams have grown very quickly but with strong talent. We have delivered major product updates in all four products and a services function to help our most strategic customers. This is a great place to work and will be a leader for years to come.

One other strength that is worth calling out is the company principles. They have real meaning and I have sat across from the founders and disagreed with them and they have held to their principles and engaged with us and made real changes based on the feedback of a sales rep in the field. You don't see that most places.

Cons

We continue to outgrow our tools faster than we can update them.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on what is best for our customers (more TAM's, more SE's, more integration functionality) and keep building great teams!

"Great culture with strong support of internal promotions"

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at HashiCorp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced
    Great technology
    Great people (motivated and driven, but not jerks)
    Great leadership on Sales team and Corporate as a whole

Cons

Worry about support functions being able to keep up with customer demand

Advice to Management

Continue to promote from within, and keep a pulse on the value of your people in the external markets to ensure you are always comp competitive

"Sales"

I have been working at HashiCorp full-time

Pros

I have been at HashiCorp for under a year but it has been the best move I have made in my career to this point. This has the potential to be a transformational tech company and the upside is enormous over the next several years. From a sales standpoint, our products are widely adopted and universally loved. This allows for "warm leads" and the opportunity to engage with customers who have already been using our products. Overall the sales culture is very strong with good leadership and the future is bright.

Cons

Still early to the market in some areas, not all customers are ready to adopt our tools. However, HashiCorp is winning with the some of the largest accounts in the world and in addition continues to see broader adoption and new companies downloading our products all of the time.

"Amazing Place to work - Transforming the multi cloud journey for customers"

I have been working at HashiCorp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team, Great Culture, unlimited opportunity! Products are amazing, management team is A++ and growth potential is unlike anything I have ever been part of.

Cons

None I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. We are all going to look back at this place and know we transformed an industry!

"Excellent workplace, diversity-friendly"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at HashiCorp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Smart product managers develop a roadmap for each engineering team based on market opportunities.
    - Features are designed and written via an RFC process with ensures well-considered design.
    - Kind, knowledgeable, diverse engineering team.
    - User experience is preferred over haste.
    - The company truly cares about customers and the community at all levels.
    - The company also truly cares about employees and strives to be a positive, healthy place to work.
    - There are no curmudgeons here who will say no to your ideas or get entrenched in doing things their way.
    - Product diversity means the company will be more stable long-term.
    - This is not an empty statement - if you are a minority, this is a great place for you. Hashicorp is diverse, and is actively minority-friendly.
    - With "be humble" as one of its core values, Hashicorp encourages people to check egos at the door and bring their best work AND true kindness.
    - Healthcare for tranz folks is included in the plan, though I don't know the specifics.

Cons

- Since it's a remote position, you must be self-motivated and a self-starter; if so you will thrive.
    - If you are used to pushing aggressively to get your way or putting your foot down, you won't succeed.
    - It's not your code, it's everyone's code, and you will need to write your best and then bend to input; this can sometimes be difficult but it's a positive thing.
    - If you do not work well with diverse people, you will not thrive; Hashicorp is geographically, culturally, and language-diverse, LGBTQ-friendly, and woman-friendly. If I haven't listed the way you are diverse here, it's not an intentional error, we want you too! You can come and be yourself. If you are not a minority, you're of course welcome here too! Just be kind.
    - Healthcare isn't always as good as other tech companies, however, this can be factored into you negotiation.

Advice to Management

Thank you for creating a wonderful space in the tech community!

"Feast of famine"

I have been working at HashiCorp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Products are heading in the right direction. Engineering team has strong leadership and the market is embracing the messaging. Events staff is superb.

Cons

Sales management is learning on the job how to treat people the right way. Lots of micromanagement work that needs to be done. Expectations for Enterprise reps are way off base for a startup company.

HashiCorp Response

Sep 7, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We share your pride in our products. We want HashiCorp to be a five-star experience for everyone here and would like to learn more about your concerns so we can address... More

"Trust the product, not management"

I worked at HashiCorp full-time

Pros

Great product, but product is not enough

Cons

Senior management is very tight within their little group, lacking honesty and transparency. While it's not ALL boys, it's still a club, insular in many respects. I would not trust my career and development to them. Take it for what it is - an interesting short-term opportunity, with little long term attraction.

Advice to Management

Move on.

"Great culture, great products, growing pains to be expected..."

I have been working at HashiCorp full-time

Pros

Brilliant founders and early product and engineering leaders humble enough to build great products and define the market but not try and run the company through it's second phase of growth. Their commitment to the company principles is a key reason HashiCorp continues to thrive. Hiring amazing new people into engineering and product management to help with growth.

Cons

Some internal decisions take longer than you would like. Leadership works very (too) hard to not give up on certain people when it's time to move on. Need more customer facing resources to ensure customer success.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on the culture you have built, the people are what make this place great.

"Good People Make a Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at HashiCorp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, extreme high growth company that provides technology that helps the world move to cloud .. but with this early success we continue to be very focused on sustaining a positive and humble culture .. and this seems authentically important to the management team .. its not just lipservice.

Some of the best people I have worked with in my career, work here at HashiCorp. HashiCorp employees are generally driven, kind, committed, brilliant and specifically the product and engineering teams have wonderful chemistry while doing great work. Most everyone is bought in to the Tao .. and that makes it a good place to be

Armon and Mitchell are awesome with a clear vision of where they want to take the technology strategically all while being humble, brilliant, always ready to help, and super accessible

The technology is compelling and relevant with a great open source community around it. CEO is impressive who seems up close like a deeply intellectual strategic thinker, assertive and good communicator that provides a calming influence to the org, which is important given how fast the company is growing .. marketing, support and product leadership are excellent .. sales VP is impressive and capable .. both VPs of eng transitioning their roles are super competent. Overall, the management team is good and that is reflected in the pace of which the company has grown in the last year while still maintaining our core principles

HashiCorp at its very center is an engineering focused company that has a large engineering org footprint given the relative size of the company. The quality and depth of the engineering teams is amazing and its inspirational to work with this collection of talent every day. Management actively strives to ensure that the engineering staff who are mostly distributed in home offices around the country and the world feel included, empowered, and informed as much as possible - and while its not always perfect outcomes, it does seem that there is always a perfect level of effort by engineering management and team members to ensure that it all stays together and works

Cons

Its not to say that we don't have challenges .. we do .. and they can be daunting and frustrating at times . and we can always be better at addressing them. These challenges so far seem to be the type of standard issues that any organization would have growing this quickly and most probably magnified by the extreme pace of new customers, new employees, new systems, accelerating revenue, new benefits, so many products, global expansion, distributed employees etc

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, talking to your teams and valuing their feedback. The culture is critical and its not all about the numbers all the time and this balance is what makes HashiCorp such a uniquely wonderful company .. and I believe the trade secret that has made us so successful so quickly. As we continue to grow at this pace in the next year please ensure that we continue to value it and protect our core values from apathy, from changing management priorities, and are aggressive in protecting the org morale from the very few internal net detractors. The focus on culture and our values makes this all work including the numbers