HashiCorp Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
HashiCorp CEO Dave McJannet
Dave McJannet

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great culture, great products, growing pains to be expected..."

I have been working at HashiCorp full-time

Pros

Brilliant founders and early product and engineering leaders humble enough to build great products and define the market but not try and run the company through it's second phase of growth. Their commitment to the company principles is a key reason HashiCorp continues to thrive. Hiring amazing new people into engineering and product management to help with growth.

Cons

Some internal decisions take longer than you would like. Leadership works very (too) hard to not give up on certain people when it's time to move on. Need more customer facing resources to ensure customer success.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on the culture you have built, the people are what make this place great.

"Trust the product, not management"

I worked at HashiCorp full-time

Pros

Great product, but product is not enough

Cons

Senior management is very tight within their little group, lacking honesty and transparency. While it's not ALL boys, it's still a club, insular in many respects. I would not trust my career and development to them. Take it for what it is - an interesting short-term opportunity, with little long term attraction.

Advice to Management

Move on.

"Good People Make a Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at HashiCorp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, extreme high growth company that provides technology that helps the world move to cloud .. but with this early success we continue to be very focused on sustaining a positive and humble culture .. and this seems authentically important to the management team .. its not just lipservice.

Some of the best people I have worked with in my career, work here at HashiCorp. HashiCorp employees are generally driven, kind, committed, brilliant and specifically the product and engineering teams have wonderful chemistry while doing great work. Most everyone is bought in to the Tao .. and that makes it a good place to be

Armon and Mitchell are awesome with a clear vision of where they want to take the technology strategically all while being humble, brilliant, always ready to help, and super accessible

The technology is compelling and relevant with a great open source community around it. CEO is impressive who seems up close like a deeply intellectual strategic thinker, assertive and good communicator that provides a calming influence to the org, which is important given how fast the company is growing .. marketing, support and product leadership are excellent .. sales VP is impressive and capable .. both VPs of eng transitioning their roles are super competent. Overall, the management team is good and that is reflected in the pace of which the company has grown in the last year while still maintaining our core principles

HashiCorp at its very center is an engineering focused company that has a large engineering org footprint given the relative size of the company. The quality and depth of the engineering teams is amazing and its inspirational to work with this collection of talent every day. Management actively strives to ensure that the engineering staff who are mostly distributed in home offices around the country and the world feel included, empowered, and informed as much as possible - and while its not always perfect outcomes, it does seem that there is always a perfect level of effort by engineering management and team members to ensure that it all stays together and works

Cons

Its not to say that we don't have challenges .. we do .. and they can be daunting and frustrating at times . and we can always be better at addressing them. These challenges so far seem to be the type of standard issues that any organization would have growing this quickly and most probably magnified by the extreme pace of new customers, new employees, new systems, accelerating revenue, new benefits, so many products, global expansion, distributed employees etc

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, talking to your teams and valuing their feedback. The culture is critical and its not all about the numbers all the time and this balance is what makes HashiCorp such a uniquely wonderful company .. and I believe the trade secret that has made us so successful so quickly. As we continue to grow at this pace in the next year please ensure that we continue to value it and protect our core values from apathy, from changing management priorities, and are aggressive in protecting the org morale from the very few internal net detractors. The focus on culture and our values makes this all work including the numbers

"Great Company, Great Product, Great People"

I have been working at HashiCorp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the best people I have worked with. Everyone is working towards a common goal and the energy is very positive throughout all departments

Cons

Nothing that is out of the ordinary from a high growth start up

Advice to Management

Keep working towards the common goals. Keep the culture in front view as it is the lifeblood of the company. Overall, great work!

"Indecisive leadership, alienation and "frat boys" culture"

I have been working at HashiCorp full-time

Pros

Challenging workspace, frequently changing, fast paced, amazing product, founders are still involved and great people.

Product and engineering teams are very collaborative, humble and know their stuff.

Cons

The whole organization is very male dominated and feels like fraternity. Except for few VPs no one is empowered to make any decisions, and everything has to go through 1-2 individuals. Woman are not empowered or supported, rather are told to “toughen up”.

Executive team feels like "frat boys gone wild". There is hardly any direction from the CEO, it depends on the time of the day or the influencer of the day what is his direction. The organization seems to be run by other VPs in the company that do not have the experience, knowledge, and do not follow the founders Tao principles.

Culture suppose to be humble, but corporate is as far from humble as possible. Not only decisions change every day, but there is a lot of alienation between each corporate team and a lot of backstabbing and drama. For start up this size, the corporate seems very politicized and led by CEO that supports this type of behavior.

HR seems powerless or oblivious to mistreatments going on. You can submit a complaint to HR, but you should not expect any type of investigation or even an answer from the HR that the complaint has been received.

HashiCorp Response

Mar 1, 2018 – VP, People

Thank you for your feedback. I've discussed your comments with our leadership team and managers. Your input was also recently discussed at our Women @ HashiCorp meeting. The feedback received... More

"Product & Team- A, Exec Team- B, Benefits- C"

I have been working at HashiCorp full-time

Pros

Most coworkers are really great to work with, our Sales team is great, and the company has a very positive outlook. HashiCorp is solving real problems for huge companies. People love our products and want them, as opposed to companies desperately trying to sell themselves. Recently raised a Series C for $40MM.

Cons

Benefits/salaries, HR, and retention:
    The company is very thrifty, which extends to subpar compensation & benefits. You will find better benefits and perks at pretty much any other tech company. Most people have taken a pay cut to join HashiCorp because they love the product.

HR seems to avoid answering questions directly and is not the type of HR department you go to for help or advice on your manager, job, or similar issues. They promised an expanded benefits package but failed to deliver on it and yet acted like it was drastically better. Some of the executive team is great though- Sales, Marketing, and Armon especially.

We also seem to be hitting that startup stage where we don't always deliver on product deadlines. Engineers have been leaving for other companies. The next year should be a big one in dictating if HashiCorp wants to become competitive in the market for taking care of employees and becoming a desirable place to work beyond passion for the product.

Advice to Management

Show your employees you value them, starting with competitive compensation & benefits.

HashiCorp Response

Nov 13, 2017 – VP, People

Thank you for your feedback and glad to see you like your coworkers and our products! Sorry to see your feedback on our benefits. I care deeply about our employees and the benefits we provide... More

"Recruitment"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at HashiCorp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Outstanding vision by the founders for identifying a huge need in both the data center and cloud infrastructure spaces, which is efficient infrastructure automation using tools that don't require heavy lifting (i.e. hundreds of lines of code).

Cons

The company is growing so fast, the pace of work keeps you very busy.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing!

"A great team, an amazing challenge"

I have been working at HashiCorp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working on challenging products that are getting more and more popular with companies people have heard of is very rewarding. Everyone is very experienced in their fields and your opinions are valued.

Cons

Most of the team is remote, which can be challenging. This also makes people very aware that this is something you have to stay good at and people are generally available for chat or a call any time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, take time to refactor, encourage cross-collaboration, and thanks for being so transparent.

"Very fun and fast growing company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at HashiCorp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible product portfolio supported by passionate open source community.
    Great strategic vision from the executive team with a plan to execute.
    Leadership team is very accessible and openly communicates priorities and direction.
    High expectations.
    Inclusive culture.

Cons

not much to speak of, it's growing fast so lots of new faces. but that's a good thing!

Advice to Management

Keep the overall communication levels high to the team. It's growing fast, stay engaged across the company and continue to repeat principles, expectations, and mission of the company as often as possible.

"Amazing, Intelligent People"

I have been working at HashiCorp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love my coworkers. Really amazing people and wickedly intelligent.

Cons

You will work diligently at HashiCorp. The upside is you will have impact.