Hassett Express Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michelle Halkerston

"Grass is not always greener!"

Former Employee - Former Management in Elmhurst, IL
    Former Employee - Former Management in Elmhurst, IL

I worked at Hassett Express full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The sense of purpose and family is what made leaving difficult. I worked with
    passionate coworkers and we cared about each other and our customers. I was able to change and grow with the company during my long tenure. All it took was initiative. The compensation was fair and yes, wages were cut and pay was frozen. It was the right thing to do or else more jobs would have been cut in the long-term.

Cons

Some coworkers seem to have a real sense of entitlement. Times change, economic reality is important. If people aren't happy...then make a change. It saddens me to see these negative reviews because this was one of the best jobs in my career. The grass is not greener when you leave. The President is a visionary and I learned much from her.

Advice to Management

Not is a position to give advice. Just know that I miss my coworkers and the sense of teamwork as we worked hard to exceed customers.

Aug 1, 2016 – Senior Human Resources Manager

We appreciate the review and your insight into your role while at Hassett. We are a good group of employees that do care about each other and our customers. It's nice to hear that Hassett was one ... More

"Waste of Time and Money"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

Pros

Parking is good. Food places are close.

Cons

Management continues to have parties with junk food which is a waste of time and money. They gave us bags with junk food inside. Take this money and give it to us in raises. What does the HR Department do for employees other than walk around and talk to people. They added security cameras now they can watch us all the time. Not really sure what the company is doing for us.

Advice to Management

Stop wasting money. Give us more raises. Stop the junk food.

3. "Hassett has my vote!!"

Current Employee - Operations in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hassett Express full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hassett continues to be a great employment place, and even better under new ownership! Employees are ecstatic about beautiful and comfortable new Corporate facility in Oakbrook Terrace, IL. Proof of continued internal success is evidenced by the loyal tenured staff, creation of new departments and areas of added leadership, and the newly hired team members who seem to blend warmly into the history rich culture of this established organization.

Cons

As with all companies, years and years of success creates history as challenges are faced and goals are achieved. Most employees at Hassett do row harder against tough currents while a few are just along for the ride. I wish the few who are only riding (and likely posting negative reviews) get out of our boat!!

Advice to Management

Continue with your leadership strategies. There's a reason why your employees have so much tenure within your organization. You're a great company to work for!!

Oct 13, 2014 – Senior Human Resources Manager

Thank you for taking the time to submit this review and the comments about Hassett. We agree that team members work well together and new team members are blending well into the culture. The new ... More

"Failure of leadership is an issue"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Plaines, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Plaines, IL

I have been working at Hassett Express full-time

Pros

There are some really dedicated hard-working people here who absolutely strive to move the company forward and give the customers the best they can get.

Cons

Low pay is of course an issue. So is low morale. We also have an issue with having too many eggs in one basket of customers. The real issue though is the complete lack of leadership in this company. From the very top of the food chain the company is ruled by fear and intimidation. Happy faces are mandatory in the presence of the president. Those who keep up the charade and don't question anything are rewarded, those who don't are shunned or pushed out. Meanwhile there are lots of Vice Presidents, most of which seem to be there to show we have diversity or as a reward for being loyal happy followers. We have yet to see any real value they bring to sales or operations in any region. Ideas are mostly retreads and there's a lot of recycling of poster platitudes. Any day now we are going to see a cat hanging from a tree branch with "Hang In there Baby".

Advice to Management

If we were not so weighed down with "management" that barely manages and "leadership" that definitely doesn't lead, this company would merit an average 3 stars. It wouldn't seem to be any better or worse than any other freight forwarder. But without the leadership and the real ideas we need to grow the company and involve the employees honestly instead of motivation out of fear, we're just going to keep barely bobbing along. It's kind of hard to see how we're ever going to truly move ahead. With other companies moving forward, it's like we're just going to keep falling behind until we just come to a complete stop.

"Alot Of Big Talk, Little Real Progress"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

Pros

Lots of hard working passionate employees. Customer service achieves alot with alot of challenges inside and outside the company and little thanks.

Cons

Alot of talk from the mostly invisible executives about how the company is doing so much better. Not seeing it, not feeling it. Most don't. A handful of favorites who run around saying yes all the time get special treatment and are probably the ones posting the super positive unrealistic reviews along with HR and certain execs. Seriously, its that obvious.

Advice to Management

It goes without saying the pay needs to be increased. All the promotion talk is also pretty ridiculous and an obvious sham. Lets actually hire to meet need instead of overworking and underpaying. Extra spurts of business are great but really poorly thought out. A little bit of honesty and real positive growth direction would be appreciated!

"Continues to disappoint"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

Pros

Its a job. Unfortunately that is about it. We recently moved to a new office but only because the former owners decided to sell the building. mixed blessing.

Cons

We're constantly told all these vague plans about what we're going to do to move the company forward and how we're going to be so successful but nothing has really ever changed. The vps contribute nothing and there's no sales effort to speak of. We're at the mercy of our 1 biggest customer and constantly hope and pray they do'nt pull any more business and give us more during peak season. Moral is low but you have to keep a happy smiley face to not upset the tempermental president and risk getting fired or laid off. She has done no better for the company since she became owner. We are still slowly sinking.

Advice to Management

Not sure what advice to give since the management doesn't take well to constructive criticism. Might suggest getting real sales to grow the business in a meaningful way rather than dealing with the continued losses by continuing to cut stations, personal, and pay. Thanks by the way for finally giving us raises again after our pay cut and 5 years of nothing. We are still about where we were 7 years ago not that the cost of living is still where it was 7 years ago.

Jul 26, 2016 – Senior Human Resources Manager

Thank you for writing the review and bringing your concerns to us. While we are constantly looking for ways to enhance our culture, Hassett is committed to making our company an even better place to ... More

8. "A Gem in the Rough."

Current Employee - Operations in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hassett Express full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A very stable, disciplined, and business savvy organization. Employs a large number of skilled tenured employees with high focus on customer satisfaction and the ability to get the tough jobs done. This company like many is seasoned and has weathered the recession storm emerging as a stronger contender in the transportation arena. The company has the ability to make tough decisions, provide a high quality services, and maintain a high tenured base of employees which is unheard of in today's workplace environment. Keep up the good work Hassett team and cheers to the new ownership. Did I mention this company is an WBE?

Cons

Would like to see greater expansion into international markets to give customers personalized attention abroad in foreign territories.

Advice to Management

Expand your professional reach internationally.

Feb 2, 2015 – HR Manager

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions. We are excited to be a WBE company!

"Deceptive Work Practices"

Former Employee - Class A Driver in Bridgeport, NJ
    Former Employee - Class A Driver in Bridgeport, NJ

I worked at Hassett Express full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Local management very smart, honest. Tries to accommodate needs of employees while doing the best for the company and the customers. Everyone rallies around.

Cons

Local and corporate executives deceptive in what they offer new employees. Stubborn, rude, unprofessional, spiteful. You are asked to go above and beyond, but they do not want to pay you for it and get angry when you ask. You are treated no better than the servants. NO raises, next to nothing in the way of bonuses.

Advice to Management

If you are going to hire drivers below the going rate, and you have no plans to give them raises, you should tell them this in the interview, instead of leading them on about growth, raises, and bonuses.

Oct 27, 2014 – HR Manager

Our local management teams continue to work hard to maintain schedules and flexibility for our employees. Mutual respect and honesty are foundations of our corporate culture and any issues brought to ... More

"Really, really sad"

I have been working at Hassett Express full-time

Pros

A lot of co-workers have become really good friends

Cons

Pay is terrible. It was probably the lowest in the industry, and then we took a 10% pay cut and have has a wage freeze for 3 years. People now are making much less than they did 5 years ago. Senior management is crazy incompetent. Most have been with the company forever and started as drivers or dock workers, which would be a great thing, but they have no experience running a company, and only know dealing with publishers, which is a dying industry for air freight and even ground freight if you're not a consolidator. Morale couldn't be lower, and most people see the only way up is out.

Advice to Management

The company is too far gone. After several layoffs and several office closures with no sales force to speak of, it's really hard to see how the situation could get better, especially with such a shortsighted and incapable executive team. We like to think the late owner and president would have seen this coming and branched out the company before it came to this.

"Big disappointment"

I have been working at Hassett Express full-time

Pros

Some coworkers are really nice and you can count on a paycheck every 2 weeks, for now.

Cons

After a 10% pay cut and 3 years of no raises we are working in 2014 for about the same we were making in 2007 but the costs in 14 are much higher then they were in 07. Hassett always had the lowest pay in the industry but now its just ridiculous. The President and VPs obviously have no idea what they're doing and it seems like the only ideas they ever have are how to cut more costs, like the 2 big layoffs and closing 3 offices.

Advice to Management

Most people in the company think its just to late to fix the mess that's been made and that management really has no clue what to do anyway. The new owner is just the old president, and she did a pretty bad job at that. The old owner and president would not have let the company slip to where it is today if he were still alive today. The VPs are just as bad and no one is sure what the heck they are doing to help the company. Morale is so low that most of the people who can do better have already left, and it's no secret that so many others are looking. It's hard to imagine how the company can keep its doors open much longer.