Hastings Entertainment Reviews | Glassdoor

Hastings Entertainment Reviews

Updated May 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management has no idea what they are doing, policies change frequently (in 48 reviews)

• High turnover rate which causes a lot of inefficiency (in 10 reviews)

1. "Great place for part time"

Former Employee - Book Associate in Lawrence, KS
    Former Employee - Book Associate in Lawrence, KS

Pros

Best coworkers on the planet
    flexible schedule

Cons

hours were lacking
    boring at times

"CSA"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Hastings Entertainment part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool environment to work in if you're placed into a department. I was placed in lifestyles after a couple months and got to deal with Music/games/everything else in the store besides books and video.

Cons

Closing was a pain, I was the main closer so almost every shift I wouldn't get out until about 2 hours after the store closed.

Advice to Management

Management at my location was really good after the first manager got fired, I guess just realize how much you are asking from people that are working minimum wage basically running the store, but then again it is the real world.

"Gone Downhill"

Former Employee - Inventory Control Manager in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Inventory Control Manager in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Used to be great management, great employees, and a great culture.
    - They give you a paycheck.
    - When I worked, the health insurance was actually pretty good, and I believe they were even going to offering it to part-time employees.

Cons

- Now they have horrible management, poor employees, and a terrible culture.
    - There is an obvious disconnect between the corporate office and the stores.
    - They don't trust their employees. Even with evidence that the last store I was at was losing money to external thieves, corporate still forced us to focus on internal theft.
    - They'll only allow enough hours to schedule one floor associate at night and then wonder why theft is so high.

Advice to Management

Focus on your employees' training and their happiness. It costs less to have 3 employees covering the floor for a night shift than to lose $300. And they can help you make sales!

5. "Worked at Hastings for 7 years"

Former Employee - Book Department Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Book Department Manager in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

It's definitely a fun job and a great job for someone who is just starting out! You get to meet a lot of different people with different interests. It's really neat to see that new product that comes in.

Cons

Upper management (and I was a dept manager) really don't give recognition to the employees who really deserve it. They don't take the time and say "Hey good job!" every now and than. Sometimes you do work LONG hours or a double, personally I've never gotten a thank you for working a double. They're not always FAMILY friendly. Some employees have children and we get a lot of flack for that.

Advice to Management

Really take the time (even if there is not much) to appreciate your employees! A thank you is VERY MUCH appreciated and keeps them wanting to continue to work for Hastings.

6. "FCTL/Front Counter Team Lead"

Former Employee - FCTL in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - FCTL in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Hastings Entertainment part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Teamwork environment, Friendly Atmosphere, Fun place to work, Good management, Room for Growth

Cons

Low Wages/Salary, Hardly any part time hours available, Dealing with public theft and occasional incompetent customers

Advice to Management

Certain stores need more security to crack down on public theft

7. "Manager"

Former Employee - Promotions Manager in Woodbury, MN
    Former Employee - Promotions Manager in Woodbury, MN

I worked at Hastings Entertainment (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, fast paced work environment.

Cons

Long hours and little recognition from upper management.

8. "Fun place to work, pay not enough."

Former Employee - Department Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Surrounded by cool products
    Mostly awesome coworkers/direct supervisors
    Learn a lot about movies, games, music, and books
    Fun and easy first or part-time job

Cons

Pay rate leaves a lot to be desired.

Some management prefer to hire previous employees rather than new ones solely to skip or hasten the training process. Seriously reevaluate these candidates before you even consider this, please.

Update your computer system. When I can find information for a customer faster on my phone than in your system, something is amiss.

Update your website. Sadly, it's search function is laughable. Sometimes I need to use Amazon to find a sku or isbn number just to locate products through the search bar on gohastings.com

Advice to Management

This company has so much potential to be better. Please start paying your employees more generously. There are a lot of workers who have a hard time taking their job seriously because their wage is a joke. I gave my best effort at minimum wage for much longer than most people would have put up with. Over the years, I have managed several departments. However, I have received an offer of more than $2/hr from another company to do the same type of work. This goes a long way. Don't lose your best associates because of this. They are the ones bringing repeat customers back into your stores.

"Great coworkers, crap pay"

Former Employee - Lifestyles/Music Department Manager in Wichita Falls, TX
    Former Employee - Lifestyles/Music Department Manager in Wichita Falls, TX

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Fantastic coworkers
    - Energetic environment
    - Cool media and trends things to look at all day
    - Alright health insurance and 401k
    - Move up quickly because turnover is high.

Cons

- Mandatory weekend days and swing shift schedule
    - Not enough pay
    - Not allowed to clock overtime
    - Lots of pressure from corporate to get sales numbers up in a business which is already dying because media is all being digitized
    - Incredibly understaffed, and good employees are worked to death
    - High turnover rate because of overworking of good employees and not enough hours to train new workers.
    - No stability or work/life balance. Will deteriorate your health.
    - They cut my pay when I reduced my hours to part time so I could attend college again, even though I was working just as hard as I was when I was full time.

Advice to Management

Pay your good employees what they are worth, $10/hr at one job is not enough to live on without a lot of struggle.
    INVEST IN TRAINING HOURS. People quit out of frustration because they are thrown to the wolves, and that costs the company even more.

10. "Fun Job, but few hours"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stephenville, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stephenville, TX

I worked at Hastings Entertainment (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, relaxed environment. Worked with lots of great people. It is fun to get to work in the different departments and help those find what they are looking for.

Cons

It is very hard to get hours unless you are a manager. This would be a great part time job for a college student who just needs a little bit of extra money, but not for someone looking to pay bills.

Advice to Management

Consider hiring more full time associates. You can have a stronger core group of employees and worry less about employees quitting due to lack of work hours.

11. "Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Batesville, AR
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Batesville, AR

I worked at Hastings Entertainment full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very flexible with hours. You have some say so in how your store is ran. Employee discounts are immediate. You control your bonus which is paid every quarter.

Cons

No matter how much you give to the company they give very little to you. They have you uproot and move for them, but their loyalty is not with you.

Advice to Management

For anyone seeing management in this company, note the pay doesn't match the requirements. It's a good place to get experience. Even though it's a salaried position a lie from an hourly associate can cause you to get fired because they do not listen to your side.