Hastings Mutual Reviews

Updated Mar 12, 2020

3.5
Hastings Mutual President Joe Babiak
Joe Babiak
Pros
  • "The family and work-life balance has always been something I've appreciated about Hastings Mutual(in 6 reviews)

• "Paid time off, 401K, health, dental and life insurance and more(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "There is not a lot of women (a few) in upper management(in 4 reviews)

• "Operationally HMIC is by modern standards somewhat immature and out dated(in 3 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work!"

5.0

I have been working at Hastings Mutual full-time for less than a year

Pros

I feel extremely grateful to have had the opportunity to work at Hastings Mutual. The connections and friendships made here have helped me grow and succeed professionally and individually. The atmosphere is inviting, positive, and understanding. HMIC offers opportunity for advancement, growth, and further education and is dedicated to helping their employees improve and succeed. I would recommend this company to anyone looking for a great work/life balance, great coworkers, and a great company!

Cons

The parking lot isn't great but I'm lazy.

Hastings Mutual2019-04-26

April 29, 2019Human Resources Specialist

We're extremely grateful to have you on the HMIC team! Thank you for your feedback.

2. "Enjoyed"

I have been working at Hastings Mutual

Pros

Salary is good for work load.

Cons

Constantly changing management style makes morale low.

Hastings Mutual2020-03-12

March 13, 2020Human Resources Specialist

We appreciate you taking the time to provide this feedback. Most of all, we appreciate you!

3. "Enjoyed the job, not the “politics”."

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Property Claims Adjuster in Hastings, MI

I worked at Hastings Mutual full-time for less than a year

Pros

Worked remotely during my employment

Cons

Micromanaged by certain supervisors on occasion.

Hastings Mutual2019-06-12

June 14, 2019Human Resources Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback. We're happy to hear you enjoyed your position and the ability to work remote. Your constructive feedback is noted and will be shared with our leadership teams as this commentary helps us to improve and optimize HMIC as an employer. Thank you for your service to HMIC and we wish you the very best!

4. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at Hastings Mutual full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Small company, not just a number.

Cons

Some struggles with system improvement.

Hastings Mutual2019-05-14

May 15, 2019Human Resources Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are certainly proud to offer an environment that offers the ability to make an impact on the business and have your efforts seen easily. Thank you again!

5. "A Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Claims in Hastings, MI

I have been working at Hastings Mutual full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I really enjoy the people I work with. Hastings Mutual does a great job of creating a atmosphere of teamwork, which really goes a long way when it comes to whether or not you enjoy coming to work. The family and work-life balance has always been something I've appreciated about Hastings Mutual. I've never felt I need to choose one over the other.

Cons

The parking lot can be a bummer sometimes.

Hastings Mutual2019-04-22

April 29, 2019Human Resources Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and more importantly- the contributions you bring to HMIC!

6. "No Future!"

2.0

I have been working at Hastings Mutual

Pros

The “worker bees “ are the heart and soul of the company. They are the best part of this company.

Cons

Upper management. No vision for the company.

Hastings Mutual2019-04-04

April 4, 2019Human Resources Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback on working at Hastings Mutual and your service to the company. We are certainly happy to hear you enjoy the relationships with your colleagues. Your comments regarding leadership are important to us and will be shared with the appropriate parties. If you have any additional concerns please don't hesitate to share them with your leader or a member of the Human Resources team.

7. "Claims"

1.0

I worked at Hastings Mutual full-time

Pros

Onsite cafeteria has good food at a reasonable price.

Cons

Management lacks integrity, skill and professionalism. Parking arrangements.

Hastings Mutual2019-04-06

April 11, 2019Human Resources Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to voice your feedback on working at Hastings Mutual, and are sorry that you feel this way. We take pride in fostering a culture of respect and professionalism and will certainly share your thoughts with our leadership teams. HMIC is committed to being an employer of choice and all feedback is used to help us maintain that objective.

"Underwriting"

Current Employee - Insurance Operations in Hastings, MI

I have been working at Hastings Mutual full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people all-around. I've never witnessed any backstabbing or drama. Good reputation and name in the industry, even for a smaller carrier. Many big changes in motion like other reviews have mentioned, BTP being the biggest. Benefits are decent, and there is a bonus program. Pay is average. The cafeteria is nice, especially during the winter.

Cons

Underwriting has had many leadership changes, for various reasons. For a while there was a lot of uncertainty. There is new leadership in place which helps, but it's too early to tell. There tends to be a divide among some departments like marketing and underwriting. BTP is on paper going to really help but getting there is tough.

Hastings Mutual2019-02-01

April 4, 2019Human Resources Specialist

Thank you for your positive and candid comments. Your feedback on BTP and departmental differences is certainly noted and we will be sure to share this with members of the leadership team. Thank you again!

9. "Good Company Overall"

Current Employee - Insurance Ops in Hastings, MI

I have been working at Hastings Mutual full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly people and environment. You can move up pretty easily if you put forth the effort. I like having a cafeteria onsite and the little perks they offer like jean days, free lunches and events are a nice touch. Pay is good usually.

Cons

Guidewire is a big project so many part of the business are stressed. Benefits can be pricey depending on your situation but there are options to choose from and they have pretty much the standard packages with everything else. They were slow to change for many years and now their playing catchup which is good but it can be much to keep up with at times.

Hastings Mutual2018-09-23

October 1, 2018Human Resources Specialist

Thank you for your detailed comments on Hastings Mutual. This feedback is shared with our leadership teams regularly so we can continuously improve the overall environment in which we work. Don't hesitate to share your thoughts with your leader, HR, or anonymously via Suggestion Ox on the company Intranet. Thanks!

10. "A decent place to work"

I worked at Hastings Mutual full-time

Pros

local, cafeteria, decent benefits, coworkers are helpful

Cons

Standards across departments are very different, pay could be more competitive as you prove your worth,

Hastings Mutual2018-09-14

October 1, 2018Human Resources Specialist

Hello, and thank you for your feedback! We are always receptive and appreciative to comments from our past employees. Best wishes to you professionally and personally.

Found 50 reviews