Hastings Mutual Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Hastings Mutual President Joe Babiak
Joe Babiak

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good Company Overall"

Current Employee - Insurance Ops in Hastings, MI
    Current Employee - Insurance Ops in Hastings, MI

I have been working at Hastings Mutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly people and environment. You can move up pretty easily if you put forth the effort. I like having a cafeteria onsite and the little perks they offer like jean days, free lunches and events are a nice touch. Pay is good usually.

Cons

Guidewire is a big project so many part of the business are stressed. Benefits can be pricey depending on your situation but there are options to choose from and they have pretty much the standard packages with everything else. They were slow to change for many years and now their playing catchup which is good but it can be much to keep up with at times.

Advice to Management

Make sure the business departments are setup for success with the BTP project. Keep looking to improve benefits and wages.

Oct 1, 2018 – Human Resources Specialist

Thank you for your detailed comments on Hastings Mutual. This feedback is shared with our leadership teams regularly so we can continuously improve the overall environment in which we work. Don't... More

2. "A decent place to work"

I worked at Hastings Mutual full-time

Pros

local, cafeteria, decent benefits, coworkers are helpful

Cons

Standards across departments are very different, pay could be more competitive as you prove your worth,

Oct 1, 2018 – Human Resources Specialist

Hello, and thank you for your feedback! We are always receptive and appreciative to comments from our past employees. Best wishes to you professionally and personally.

3. "WC Claim Supervisor"

I have been working at Hastings Mutual full-time

Pros

Hastings Mutual genuinely cares about their employees. The company is continuously looking for ways to improve employee engagement and to create a transparent, aligned organization.

Cons

The closest 'city' is 30 miles away. There's not a whole lot to do in Hastings MI

Advice to Management

Increase social media presence. Increase presence in local universities for recruiting purposes. Recruit country wide and take advantage of today's technology and hire remote employees with insurance experience. Compensation is too low, need to reevaluate job descriptions/titles for market price points.

Aug 22, 2018 – Human Resources Specialist

Hey there, thank you for your feedback! We are proud of our friendly, engaging culture and are always looking for ways to provide the best for our employees. Your advice around recruitment is noted... More

4. "Good Company"

I have been working at Hastings Mutual full-time

Pros

It's good all-around. You can have a solid career here as long as you are competent and demonstrate your willing to grow. They emphasize training and development either formal or onsite. The atmosphere is pretty laid back and everyone is friendly, and having a cafeteria onsite is nice!! Benefits and pay are good, about what you would see elsewhere as far as I can tell.

I don't think people know how good they have it to be honest. While they're a smaller carrier, the large, national competitors like State Farm or Nationwide are constantly reorganizing and laying off, even in a strong economy. There is stability here.

Cons

There are a lot of good changes going on, but it's a company that has been slow to change, as noted in some other reviews, so the implementation sometimes is shaky. The reserved parking thing seems well-intended but its just bizarre and needs to go, plus all executives get front row, which indicates the pecking order right before you even walk in the building.

Advice to Management

I'm happy here overall. Keep pressing for positive change as you are, but don't lose sight of how important that is.

Aug 22, 2018 – Human Resources Specialist

Thank you for taking time to provide us your positive feedback and most importantly your contributions to Hastings Mutual! As you mentioned there are many changes going on at HMIC right now, all... More

"Good company but we could be so much better"

I have been working at Hastings Mutual full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Employees are very friendly for the better part. It's always great to see the many smiling faces that greet you with a "hello" or "good morning"! As with all companies there are exceptions of course who seem to ignore everyone else.

Training is promoted by most managers. It's also a company that affords its employees the opportunity to change career paths when opportunities exist to do so. Hard work is appreciated for the better part but this may be manager dependent.

It's nice to have a cafeteria which serves both breakfast and lunch at fair prices and there are many days with special events as perks for everyone.

Cons

Operationally HMIC is by modern standards somewhat immature and out dated. An Operational Maturity Level study would likely be very revealing. The tendency to be over rooted in older practices and traditions causes slow adoption to more modern thinking and makes progress difficult to achieve.

There are a few managers, directors and administrators that are not open to new thinking and suggestions. They appear to be too buried in their own self sense of self importance, and are often condescending even to other managers.

There are certain areas of the company that no one wants to have to deal with. The odd part is that while it is no secret as to which departments they are nothing seems to be done about it.

As others have mentioned the reserved parking policy based on tenure is archaic and silly and should be done away with.

Senior management seems friendly but is generally inaccessible.

Advice to Management

Time to take a serious look at things as they exist today. There are significant opportunities to understand and adopt the strategies, practices and policies utilized by more advanced and successful companies.

There is too much cross departmental interference both intentional and unintentional. The lines of responsibility and control need much better definition.

Certain departments don't own and take responsibility for things they should be. This breeds confusion and inefficiency.

Mid-level management needs to be more forward thinking and open minded. They need to stop using current policies as an excuse to resist finding new ways to improve business practices. Both things can be achieved if creative thinking as opposed to overly rigid conformity is encouraged.

Aug 20, 2018 – Human Resources Specialist

Hello! Thank you for taking time to give your candid feedback on Hastings Mutual.

As you mentioned, we are proud of the positive, friendly environment here as that is representative of our... More

"Good the first few years."

Former Employee - Senior Processor in Hastings, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Processor in Hastings, MI

I worked at Hastings Mutual full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large company in a small community.

Cons

Very competitive atmosphere making it difficult to build good work relationships. Grossly under paid and supervisor favoritism is extremely obvious.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the way your employees are being treated by their supervisors.

Aug 9, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback on your experience working with us. Your comments around atmosphere, pay and relationships are noted and we are sorry that you feel that way. HMIC... More

7. "Organization is suffering under high pressure management"

I worked at Hastings Mutual full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good remote work opportunities, supportive organization, decent benefits.

Cons

Used to be a great company to work for, but over the past few years the drive to replace large parts of the existing technology have resulted in high pressure being put on members of the IT group. Industry best practices are frequently ignored to the detriment of the company and policyholders.

The high stress environment is slowly hollowing out the IT group as key members leave for better work environments.

Advice to Management

You are not on a sustainable path. It's time to re-examine why you launched your "digital transformation" initiative in the first place and if it's even remotely delivering on it's promises. There are better ways to handle this type of project.

Jul 27, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for providing your feedback. Hastings Mutual is proud of the positive elements you expressed, including our remote work ability, supportive culture and strong benefits.

We also... More

8. "Claims Team Member"

I have been working at Hastings Mutual full-time

Pros

Good company and the culture is family-like in a lot of ways. The cafeteria is nice a perk to have. You can learn a lot here about claims and insurance all around. Benefits are okay.

Cons

Pay is so-so. It depends on what your role is though and your experience from what I've heard. You can move up easier in some areas than others. The software system upgrade process can be hectic and challenging since its such a big project.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

Jun 5, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your candid feedback and hard work as part of the Claims team here at Hastings!

9. "Property Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Hastings Mutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, training, teamwork, office dynamics

Cons

Health benefits, salary, commute, hours.

Jun 5, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your overall feedback and thoughts, we appreciate it. Both the Human Resources and division leadership teams are always working to ensure our benefits, compensation, and other... More

"Great place to setup a career."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hastings, MI

I have been working at Hastings Mutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Looking to completely transform internally as well as externally to stand out in the market which is a very good desicion.

Cons

Salaries are not competitive. Please rethink such that it motivates the employees more.

Jan 25, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts on Hastings Mutual! We are excited for the many transformational projects and initiatives either in motion or planned.

Your comments around... More