Hastings Mutual Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 5, 2017

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Joe Babiak

1. "Great company growing"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Hastings, MI
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Hastings, MI

I have been working at Hastings Mutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great small company feel with ability to get things done.

Cons

Small town so hard to attract great talent.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward!

2. "Great Company, Many Benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hastings, MI

I have been working at Hastings Mutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We have a great team, enjoy working together, and laugh a lot. HMIC offers many unexpected perks like wellness program, fitness center, on site cafeteria, committee/community service opportunities, and recognition programs. The leadership is friendly and helpful, with an open door policy. HMIC seems to be in a great place of steady growth and intentional change. I've never met a more genuine or kind CEO than Joe Babiak - he shows interest in each person he meets and always has a great smile on his face.

Cons

It seems that some people don't want anything to change even if it's to make the company more successful. Look forward to seeing what can be accomplished when getting employees through needed changes to keep our company marketable - to potential employees and to our policy holders. That walk into the building can be a bit rough in the winter months - great to get the extra steps in, though.

Advice to Management

Support the changes that are necessary to keep HMIC marketable and stay strong when there are complaints. If it's the right thing to do, support it no matter who or how many complain. I've seen great strides with this since I started at the company, but have heard many stories of lack of support or being told by management to just go back to the way it was after initially being supported by management.

3. "Opportune time to make an impact!"

Pros

Now is an exciting time to be part of Hastings Mutual Insurance Company. Senior leadership recognizes the need for continuous improvement and they support initiatives that will drive the company forward.

I feel that my opinions count at Hastings Mutual and that I can have an impact on the organization.

The CEO is very visible in the organization, interacts with employees at all levels, and provides updates on company results and strategic objectives.

Cons

I think this is a great place to work.

Hastings Mutual Response

Jun 13, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your comments. We work to make sure every individual's voice is heard and to allow every employee to have an impact.

"Growing company with many opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hastings, MI

Pros

I have worked at HMIC for 5 years and am happy I made the switch to a smaller, community-oriented company from a larger national company. The people here really are like family. I also enjoy the visibility that comes with working for a smaller company and the opportunities that are provided. If I want to move up, I don't have to move across the country and uproot my family. Those promotional opportunities are available right here in Michigan.

Cons

Since the company is growing (slowly, but growing) there are growing pains associated with that. Technology upgrades, new processes, etc. In the end these things will be positives.

"I would recommend Hastings Mutual to anyone!"

I have been working at Hastings Mutual full-time

Pros

I have enjoyed my time at Hastings Mutual. I think the company culture and vision are great. They are looking to make changes and if you are open to taking the company to the next level, then it's not a problem. Upper management wants to grow the company while still keeping its local roots which is something to be applauded. They are involved in the community in many different ways.The benefits, pay, 401K, and facilities are competitive to other companies. I think far to many people fear change and growth. They allow for a home/life balance which I think is lost at many companies.

Cons

There is limited parking to those of us who have been at the organization for less than 15 years. This isn't a huge problem in nice weather but it can be a bit of a pain when the weather is bad. But taking into consideration that the company has a large number of people who have been employed here over 15 years is a positive.

Hastings Mutual Response

Apr 23, 2015 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you so much for taking time to leave a review. We pride ourselves on our culture and the visibility to upper management that our employees have, and we expect to be a bedrock in the Hastings ... More

"Anonymous"

I have been working at Hastings Mutual full-time

Pros

I love the work/life balance here. The normal workday is much shorter than what I'm used to, and everyone is very supportive. The pay is competitive with the industry, and there is a bonus structure and an aggressive 401(k) match.

Cons

There's not a ton of parking that is close to the building.

Advice to Management

Keep everything moving forward

"Good company, stable employer, strong finances"

Pros

- Great people
    - Many training and development opportunities
    - Very stable
    - Financially strong
    - Easy access to senior management
    - Willing to change and move forward with technology
    - Good core business hours - 8:00 - 4:30

Cons

- Change often comes slowly
    - While some flexible work arrangements are available, it is a small few who are eligible
    - Adoption of new technology/tools is often slow
    - Still fairly command and control oriented through much of the company, although moving in the right direction

Advice to Management

Management needs to continue to move toward a more participative form of leadership. Set the direction and manage to shared goals and objectives. Whenever possible give employees the room needed to make good things happen.