Hat World Reviews | Glassdoor

2.3
Hat World President Ken Kocher
Ken Kocher

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 40% discount some employees are cool (in 4 reviews)

• They got some cool products if your into sports and the discount was also really good at 40% off (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management are very condescending and doesn't admit to when there wrong (in 7 reviews)

• Little staffing, too much ot, no work life balance, management has favorites and does not care (in 3 reviews)

1. "Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Hat World full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun, upbeat atmosphere with collaborative team selling and servicing customers while going above and beyond to meet company's goals and expectations. Have fun sell hats!

Cons

The stores do not receive enough hours for their employees to achieve the company's expectations throughout the week as far as merchandising, counts, and inventory are concerned.If additional team members were there all of the above could be successfully completed including being on top of embroidery sales and customer service

Advice to Management

Get to know your staff and fully train them the way you would do things that way we are all on the same page

2. "worst company ever so Run"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Hat World full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

40% discount some employees are cool

Cons

the worst company to ever work for . there is no room to grow they want you to work like slaves . they hate for you to have a second job to help pay your bill and rent . they don't want to pay you anything . they over work you and don't call out. that is a problem if you do. and upper management don't know how to talk to there employees or treat them. if you have any respect for your self please don't work for that place

3. "Terrible"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Hat World full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good discount and employee purchase program

Cons

Little staffing, too much ot, no work life balance, management has favorites and does not care. Allows favorite employees too goof off and throw footballs all day

Advice to Management

Get some real managers that are qualified and work.

4. "Employment Review"

Former Employee - Director of Design and Development in Lake Forest, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Design and Development in Lake Forest, CA

I worked at Hat World (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. The owner was a nice guy who was fair and very generous. Work hours and time off were flexible. I was trusted for my creative abilities, skills, and technical knowledge to complete all design projects in a reasonable amount of time. Work was always focused on quality of design and giving the customer the best options at a competitive price.

Cons

When the economy slowed down, our largest accounts began working direct with the factories. Smaller accounts shifted their focus away from accessories. Unfortunately, we could no longer compete or stay in business.

Advice to Management

It was a great run. We could have diversified by extending our business to include shirts, socks, etc. Unfortunately, the recession took us by surprise.

5. "Team Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Hat World full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great products and great people!

Cons

No draw forgiveness even with starting a new territory.

6. "Sales rep"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

discounts and other benefits like flexibility, and advancement

Cons

bad hours usually short shifts

Advice to Management

raise pay

7. "Enjoyed working with them"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Lawton, OK
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Lawton, OK

I worked at Hat World full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was the store manager. Loved my dm and my team. Bonuses were nice.

Cons

Only had 3 employees very limited hours so i worked alot of overtime . Pay could of been better.

8. "WORST COMPANY"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hat World full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount was nice 40% off, had other stores discount was applicable (genesco owned)
    Despite the immature and unprofessional people who work for the company, you can sometimes find true genuine people who are under appreciated.

Cons

Would not recommend. This company does NOT care about their employees, they only care about money. Pay is horrible, you could exceed your goals and you will not see a raise, not even a pat in the back, Higher level employees are unprofessional. SERIOUSLY, where did they find these people? They will work you full-time hours, but not consider you full time so they won't have to give you bonuses. They do not care about your personal life, they expect you to devote all your time and energy to lids. Please if you respect yourself stay away from lids.

Advice to Management

Add commission sales, and get new management.

9. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Hat World full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The discount is the only thing I can think of. I guess working 60+ hours a week has helped with overtime pay but 60+ hours a week.

Cons

Micro-managed more than anywhere I've ever seen in my life. Working their "scheduling template" is a joke. How can you keep a staff when some employees are only allowed to receive 9 hours a week? A mass email was sent out that stated we are a job not a charity and if someone can't work the template to get rid of them and find people that could. Who can survive on 9 hours a week? Drug dealers are the only people I could think of because I know I wouldn't be able to do that.

Advice to Management

giving someone 20 hours a week doesn't qualify them as full time so stop trying to fool people with the "full time" asm position.

"Worst company to ever work for"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Hat World full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is nothing good about this company I would not recommend to anyone

Cons

Bad pay ,no room to move up ,bad upper management,treat there employees very bad,no raises at all, and bad benefits

Advice to Management

Learn how to talk and treat your employees and your company will do so much better ,your turn over rate would not be so hire, learn how to pay them fair to live where ever they are,and invest in your employees if you want them to build a great team and ro make a great career with the company