Hat World Reviews | Glassdoor

Hat World Reviews

Updated March 13, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • upper management are very condescending and doesn't admit to when there wrong (in 7 reviews)

• Little staffing, too much ot, no work life balance, management has favorites and does not care (in 3 reviews)

1. "Employment"

Current Employee - Part Time Manager in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Part Time Manager in Louisville, KY

Pros

I like the people I work with and I like talking to the customers about sports, that part is fun at least.

Cons

There is really no room for raises and it is a very disorganized company, at least at my level.

Advice to Management

Start becoming more organized, the management is good, it is just about working together

2. "Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Eastpointe On The Mall, OH
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Eastpointe On The Mall, OH

Pros

Parking was free at least.

Cons

long hours, no work life balance, no raises

Advice to Management

Pay a living wage, staff your store properly, hire District Managers from within the company - don't hire from outside the company who have no retail experience or no people skills.

3. "A Lot of Fun, Great People"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Peabody, MA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Peabody, MA

I worked at Hat World full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meeting nice customers on a daily basis is great! Management is very laid-back, relaxed, and cool. Dress code is loose and makes for a good experience overall.

Cons

Sometimes we did late nights and overnights.

Advice to Management

Perhaps have a better understanding of the employees' personal lives.

5. "assistant manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND

Pros

You get a Discount that's about it

Cons

Everything else, management is the worst I have EVER SEEN.

Advice to Management

Treat employees better

"No respect"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Phila, PA

I worked at Hat World full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It was a job that paid the bills.

Cons

DM's who want you to shove accessories and or embroidery down customers throats using high pressure tactics. Low pay with no chance for a raise unless you argue for one.

Advice to Management

Happy Employees = Happy Customers, Close for the Holidays - Don't open on Thanksgiving!

7. "Boring, Sales-Heavy, Easy"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Hat World part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy job, spend most of your time talking about hats and sports with customers, very little difficult work to accomplish.

Cons

Intensely boring, very little to do, sales-focused

8. "This is not the place to start a career"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Hat World full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount on hats, and clothing

Cons

There is no work life balance with this company. You work seems like everyday, endless tasking for no reason. There arent enough hours for sales team so most of the time your left in the store alone for hours. very small management team so if you get sick or have an emergency there is no calling out unless because the other managers cant go into over time so your stuck. I had to go in with the flu after the doctor told me not to. Turn over in assist managers is crazy and in sales associates just cant keep people. Its just not the best place to work if you have been in management awhile.

Advice to Management

Look at your people as more than just workers. Most of us liked the work just didnt like how the company was treating us. Pay your people more, for the amount of work you expect from store managers and associates the pay should be way more and allow for more scheduling hours so everyone can take breaks and lunches.

"I would strongly consider NOT applying for a job with this Company."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Hat World full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

a 40% discount on merchandise. Thats about it.

Cons

My division was acquired by Hatworld/Lids in 2010 which included the SIOPA Clubhouse Shops in NYC. About 4 months after the acquisition I was promoted to Assistant Manager. In that time I have met arrogant, lazy and incompetent District and Regional Managers and even a couple of arrogant, lazy and incompetent Store Managers. In that time, Gensesco has managed to terminate or forced good Store and Assistant Managers from SIOPA/Sports Avenue and from the company. I believe that this is a system wide policy as I have spoken to other former Managers from Sports Ave and they all were forced out by District Managers in the same manner. Audits and inventory controls are a joke. Their receiving procedures are terrible, as the system often times double receives PO documents and your On Hand numbers are always off by ridiculous amounts. There is absolutely NO warehouse accountability as jerseys and hats often times arrive to the shop dirty, and I can set my clock by how many times we receive merchandise that is from teams other than the team we are selling. I have worked as an Assistant Manager for almost 2 years and have only gotten one raise, given to me the day I was promoted. District Managers make you push multiple items and a Club Card that you have to pay for. YES, PAY FOR. Most smart retailers offer their cards for free and for an indefinite amount of time. Genesco shops offer a minimal discount for a annual fee, and the savings dont really add up. They push these cards more than merchandise! No matter how hard you work, you are not considered productive if you are not making budget, and everything that is wrong with the stores are placed directly on the shoulders of Assistant Managers. Their hiring practices are absurd, as they always look to outside the company to promote and they generally tend to hire young, lazy, incompetent kids at Associate level, who are just as fake as Upper Management is.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect, something that this company is severely lacking. Offer better and more competitive wages as anyone who has any talent would not work at the rates this company offers. Improve your inventory controls and dont accuse your employees of theft anytime a loss occurs. Fix your company philosophy, culture and values and realize that your employees are human beings and not robots.

10. "They hire sorry managers"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lakeland, FL

I worked at Hat World part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

40% discount on the entire store.

Cons

They hire the sorriest managers.
    The managers hog all the hours.

11. "They treat you like idiots"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Hat World full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly cannot find any pros that comes with working for this company. I was forced as a work horse for minimum wage for one year and it definitely was not acknowledged even a little bit.

Cons

Used to be fun environment that I was happy to come into. When genesco purchased siopa sports, everything changed for the worst. Managers treated MERCHANDISE as means to act as if everything was life or death. Raises were unheard of to ask for. Will discourage anyone I know who is interested in this company.

Advice to Management

Relax and take your job as it is. It is definitely not a serious job, stop acting like Nazis. Selling is common sense, no need to drill it into people's heads as if they are about to perform surgery.