Hatch Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hatch CEO John Bianchini
John Bianchini

Pros
Cons
  • The protected stock offer secret policy is paternalist and linked to an upper management that is affected by the parkinson affliction (in 9 reviews)

• Business Development is sluggish (in 7 reviews)

1. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Electrical Designer in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Electrical Designer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Hatch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been at hatch for over a year and it has been great. Being new to the engineering world Hatch has welcomed me with open arms. They have provided me the tools and knowledge to be able to be a productive member of the team. With great resources and procedures available we can provide the best for our clients.

Cons

Not to much that I can complain about. One thing I will say is pay is not competitive, many other companies offer more for less experience. Its a choice you have to make, leave and make more money or stay with room to grow with the possibility of more pay down the road.

Advice to Management

Juniors are the future of the company. Treat them right and they will stay at this company forever.

"Varies by office"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at Hatch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Global company, so if you enjoy packing up and living somewhere new for a year or two, there's opportunity for that. In times of slow down, good people are frequently given the opportunity to go to an office with a higher workload as a way to avoid layoffs.
    Vacation is better than the US average - you start with three weeks, which is VERY nice.

Cons

The corporate culture in Canada really didn't translate to the US branches. Jobs are regularly underbid and it always feels that money is tight. Managers have a habit of taking out their frustrations on their employees. (One in particular was known to be so bad, that after a yelling session, other people from other departments would come over to check in on the unfortunate victim.)

Advice to Management

Train your managers better. Some positive reinforcement would go a long way. Also, raise pay levels to be competitive.

"Former Employee"

Former Employee - Project Controls Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Project Controls Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Hatch full-time

Pros

Great place to work for young professionals.

Cons

Not diverse in client / industry needs.

"Management not acting in Good Faith"

Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Trafford, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Trafford, PA

I worked at Hatch (More than a year)

Pros

I felt the Pittsburgh office staff was great, and I enjoyed working with everyone. When the work was there, it was interesting.

Cons

The company's "new era" leaves much to be desired for the employee. It currently is catering to the "young professionals", without showing much regard to established engineers and designers. Multiple policy changes from the home office have not been in the employees best interests, and overall there has been a lack of respect for established employees in the past year.

The final insult to me (and the one which prompted this review) was that I knew business was very light and that I disagreed with the direction the company was taking, so I found a new job and gave my resignation, allowing 2 weeks to help transfer any jobs, and to act in good faith to a company that in the past I have highly respected. Unfortunately, management chose to release me a day later, but refused to "pay me out" for the time that I had agreed to work. Mind you I still had work available that could be done. They refused in what I consider a cowardly way, in that I had asked what day they would be paying me to, and they dodged the answer multiple times. I assume they hoped I would just leave and not ask questions. Eventually they gave me a straight answer after continued questioning. I consider this very poor business ethics, they should have acted towards me with the same respect that I had shown the company. Combined with other issues that I mention above, I consider this a hostile corporate environment.

If you are an existing employee and plan on giving your 2 week notice, I would be very cautious as Hatch will likely not honor the 2 weeks. Either clear it with your new employer that you could possibly start early or do not give advance notice.

To potential new employees, heed the warning. This company has seen better times, but right now the current management is struggling to say the least.

Advice to Management

You are breaking my heart. I came to Hatch with every intention of retiring from the company, but the current mindset lacks respect towards the employee. The way you handled my resignation was unprofessional, it was sad that you could not answer my questions directly, and it was not in Good Faith. I hope that the current way of thinking is amended at Hatch soon, but Hatch has burned a bridge with me.

6. "Senior Structural Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Structural Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Structural Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Hatch (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits good corporate policy

Cons

Some managers are not good

7. "Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Administrative in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

Very Friendly and professional staff

Cons

Nothing really. Enjoy working here

Advice to Management

Keep up the good job

8. "One of best job I've had"

Former Employee - Lead in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Lead in Olathe, KS

Pros

U get flexible hours and u get paid well and there a high rate for converting u over to the job u work for

Cons

There are no benefit and can take a while to convert u over

Advice to Management

Keep up everything u guys are doing

"Structural Engineer"

Pros

Learned a lot, felt appreciated and respected as a professional. Got along with colleagues working in challenging projects

Cons

No bonuses at all. Had to work very long hours (regular schedule was from 8am to 6.30 pm) and sometimes overtime without pay. Even on Saturdays (paid though).

10. "Great Company"

Pros

I worked for Hatch in 2012 and overall have a good experience. My team environment was fantastic.

Cons

Managers could use some more training on setting by example.

"Senior CAD Technician"

Former Employee - Senior CAD Technician
    Former Employee - Senior CAD Technician

Pros

Pretty decent benefits. Highly intelligent colleagues. Flexible schedule.

Cons

Amount of travel. Poor scheduling. Company structure. Constant change of management and key contributors detracts from effectiveness. Poor choice of design software.

Advice to Management

Get rid of microstation as your primary civil design tool.