Hathaway-Sycamores Child and Family Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Debra K. Manners

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at Hathaway-Sycamores Child and Family Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Flexible hours
    -Great people at all levels and departments of the company
    -Management and colleagues are very friendly, understanding, and supportive
    -Amazing new CEO that brings great energy to the agency
    -Easy-going work environment
    -Chances to work on great, challenging projects
    -A lot of room for growth and learning
    -Career advancement opportunities
    -Great work/life balance

Cons

I've been here for a year and my experience has been all positive.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

2. "Innovative Organization and Supportive Leadership"

I have been working at Hathaway-Sycamores Child and Family Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

My experience working for HSCFS over the years has been generally positive. Originally, I applied for a position here because of Debbie Manner's reputation as a champion for children and families. She inspired and supported me to further my career and obtain a master degree. I've stayed through all the changes because I believe she is the right type of leader to move the agency forward and advance our mission.

Cons

If you don't like continuous changes and challenges...growth and quality improvement then you won't thrive at this agency.

Advice to Management

Stay committed to the cause and unified in the pursuit of excellence!

3. "Clinical staff"

I have been working at Hathaway-Sycamores Child and Family Services full-time

Pros

The organization, staff and management really care about providing quality mental health to youth in need. There are a lot of growth opportunities...ELT visits my site regularly to let us know of them.

Cons

So far I am having a positive experience.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide training opportunities and incentives.

4. "Totally Incompetent Leadership and CEO"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Hathaway-Sycamores Child and Family Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible colleagues who care about the population. They have to pay employees for the work they do rather they want to or not.

Cons

If you're the right ethnicity certain liberties are given. Special positions are created to accommodate some based on who "likes" them rather than on ability. Leadership lack leadership skills and staff are treated poorly. Clearly the Board of Directors provide little oversight because they're entangled with the Organization through providing services to the Agency while also serving on the Board; for them it's a sure fire sale or products and services. Who is safe guarding the mission????

Advice to Management

Everyone needs to be removed including the CEO and start over with a group of leader who are bias with hugely egos but with no positive results to show for it. So sad...

5. "Incompetent"

I have been working at Hathaway-Sycamores Child and Family Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Staff, PTO, mileage reinbursement

Cons

HR is a ongoing joke here.
    They constantly make careless errors and can’t even answer basic HR questions.
    They never answer calls or emails when you need help.
    Management are a bunch of egocentric people who have no idea of running things.
    If management was so great than why is there such a high turn around rate. Pay is not worth the anxiety, stress, and lack of social life.
    Don’t forget to bill or you’ll be bullied and then fired.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff and treat them well if you want good results.

6. "Incredible advocates for children and families in need"

Current Employee - Staff in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Staff in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

I have been a full-time employee for more than a year. There is a huge sense of pride in the work that is done here. The needs of the children and families served always come first. The staff is collaborative at all levels and I feel inspired on a daily basis. The salary and benefits are also super competitive. Benefits are great! The new CEO is very supportive of staff and has a deep understanding of the work being done at the agency on all levels.

Cons

I have yet to find any downsides to working here. Recognition for meeting targeted goals is great!

Advice to Management

Great job! Keep up the good work!

"CWS"

Current Employee - CWS
    Current Employee - CWS

I have been working at Hathaway-Sycamores Child and Family Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good coworkers and staff that care about the families they serve.

Cons

no balanced work-life, Manager micromanage staff regularly. Inconsistency, low morale, people come and go, high turn around.

Advice to Management

Why? none. They don't care. It's all about billing to DMH.

"Pass on the job"

I have been working at Hathaway-Sycamores Child and Family Services full-time

Pros

Health benefits and PTO are decent.

Cons

Money, money, money and manipulative management. It's all about feeding their ego.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach for clients. Stop promoting people who don't do the right thing.

"Top-heavy organization"

Pros

Great clinical training, good benefits, generous PTO

Cons

Very top-heavy leadership, inconsistent management positions across departments, members of senior leadership make insensitive generalized remarks about clients , over-emphasis of how we appear to others and not enough emphasis on quality of care, As long as our results appear to look good to others (regardless if they are true representations), leadership is happy. No one at the top seems to care about actual client care.

Advice to Management

There needs to be a total re-haul of senior leadership. Why do some departments have multiple AVPs, Directors, etc. when other departments have not had these positions in years? Promotions seem to be given out like candy to management at De Lacey. Too many people at the top arguing about politics and not enough people doing the actual work.

"A hot mess"

Pros

Co-workers, good benefits, help the community. Good training and supervision.

Cons

The agency is horribly managed. You don't get even basic supplies like pens, pads or post-it notes. Bad follow-through from HR. For some reason there are tons of managers with no clear division of who does what. The focus is all on billing and numbers. The turnover of staff is ridiculous. You can do the same job at other agencies with less drama.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what staff is saying. Stop the favoritism. Give basic supplies.