Hathaway Sycamores Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
William P Martone

1. "Hathaway-Sycamores offers many excellent MHS services to children, families and TAY youth."

Former Employee - Licensed Clinician in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Licensed Clinician in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Hathaway Sycamores full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Clinical supervisors are good to excellent. Multiple locations in LA County. Good benefits. Salaries are average. Some very good to excellent upper management. Lots of opportunities to learn how to work with clients who are very challenging. Colleagues are wonderful and supportive. Supportive and helpful Quality Management. Great team players in charts and records department. Focus on the family as a whole, not just identified client.

Cons

They are going through some upper management changes that can feel confusing to employees in the satellite offices. Salaries could be more competitive. Communication throughout the agency and between different satellite offices can be challenging.

Advice to Management

Improve overall communication up and down and "sideways" throughout the agency. More competitive salaries. Don't lose the focus on families as a whole.

"Worst agency"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Great co-workers minus management. 11 paid holidays.

Cons

Low pay, micromanaged, tons of work and billing is all that matters. Management thinks you have no life and expect you to work 7 days a week. Management have big egos but when there's a crisis have no idea what to do. HR are the most uneducated people you will meet. They have made big mistakes in my paychecks and co- workers. This agency will never be able to keep the good employees.

Advice to Management

Remember where u started.

3. "Counselor"

Former Employee - Group Home Counselor in Altadena, CA
    Former Employee - Group Home Counselor in Altadena, CA

I worked at Hathaway Sycamores full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Love working with teen boys, working with staff as a team member going for the same goals in a pisitive manner.

Cons

Staff issues, Black, White, Hispanic all at odds with each other. Write ups on negative staff breaking rules disappearing from files. Favortism from Supervisors, (What z this teaching the boys?) Pay could be better.

Advice to Management

Listen to your workers better, be more approachable, staff afraid to ask questions or suggest because of negative management won't listen anyway. Not enough staff, blaming staff when things go wrong instead of admitting not enough help on floors. lying to State investigators about how many staff on floor.

"Good Experience. Needs work as does any company."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Hathaway Sycamores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was not micro-managed. Can't say the same for my co-worker.
    PTO
    Small Team
    Paid training
    Free coffee
    Left overs from meetings
    Doughnuts from a nice co-worker
    Nice Staff

Cons

Traffic even though I was less than 20 miles away. Both ways!
    Person managing me knew less than they should. Always went to the team for answers
    Review process was poor
    Non-profit so prepare to be offered low pay even with years of experience.
    Since everything is on a budget it is hard to get the technology you need to get your job done.
    A lot of talk but not a lot of walk

Advice to Management

Allow everyone to tele-work. If it doesn't work for one employee don't punish the others
    If there is high turnover in a position and all arrows point to manager for the cause, be prepared to fire that employee. From what I've seen and heard good hard working employees quit because of that person
    Offer better pay

"Punitive Staff, Issues with Racism towards staff, Vindictive and unsupportive management!"

Former Employee - Clinician in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Clinician in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Hathaway Sycamores full-time

Pros

They have great refreshments at meetings and during trainings!

Cons

Upper level managers can be deceitful and unsupportive. Previous comments about being micromanaged and targeted are absolutely true! Be careful and DO NOT GET ON THEIR RADAR! They will go after you! Mix in race, and you've got another level of reasons that may make you a target. I too have seen great, supportive, and hard-working staff leave this agency because of deceitful and vindictive upper management. I would strongly recommend that no African American clinician apply to work at this agency! Trust me... look elsewhere!

Advice to Management

Treat employees fairly. Start to investigate why multiple employees are quitting. Could it be this new manager you hired?

"Over 7 years: would have quit each year if I could have."

Current Employee - Clinician in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Clinician in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Hathaway Sycamores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

MFT Interns don't have many attractive job opportunities, so finding a position with an ok salary and benefits is appealing as one gathers hours towards licensure.

Cons

It's all about the money- and I'm not talking about your $. The reality is that this nonprofit has a one-track mind: have you billed enough this week?

If the answer is no, that you haven't met their high billing expectations, you will be micromanaged until you do so. If the answer is yes, it's unlikely you've stopped working - it's impossible to keep a decent work-life balance and meet their expectations.

HR and payroll are the most incompetent departments, and that's saying a lot: I have had my paycheck $, time off accrual, and benefits screwed up by them more times than I can count. Each time they have attempted to fix it after I caught their errors (which have been major - most recently, they deleted 1 month of my earned time off from their system. Another time they forgot to give me benefits after I signed up for them. I could go on..). Those poor people who don't check their pay stubs for accuracy!

The outpatient and school-based programs are the most well-run, and the Wraparound program is the least well-run. I can't speak for the group home, but it seems pretty poorly run as well.

I've stayed at Hathaway Sycamores for 7 years because I didn't have viable alternatives (I figured that all DMH jobs would be similar), and I have valued the kids I have served. But, I strongly believe that the billing and paperwork demands on DMH agencies becomes the primary focus of the work, to the detriment of the clients and the morale of the employees.

I also strongly believe that this agency will not change their ways. Despite significant record-lows on the employee satisfaction surveys this year, the executive leadership team has made no positive changes.

To conclude: if you're looking for a DMH-agency mental health position, you're going to find the same challenges wherever you go (mismanagement, excessive and repetitive paperwork, and an emphasis on billing at the expense of any semblance of self-care). At this large agency, you might find a job that will get you hours towards licensure and benefits. You'll also feel inspired to serve kids who are resilient despite incredible adversity. But you will not be supported, and your quality of life will be very poor, particularly if you are not working in one of the few programs with consistent working hours.

Wonderful people are drawn to this kind of work, and I enjoyed most of my coworkers immensely. But Hathaway-Sycamores: I can't wait to quit you.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and their low morale: they need to believe that you care as much about clients and employees as billing.

Also, your HR and payroll departments have been a running joke in my family for 7 years because of how many mistakes they have made. That's a bad sign.

"My experience has been full of challenging work. It stays busy and I enjoy working with my families"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Hathaway Sycamores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great to work with the families and helping them stay together, or get back together and being resourceful. It brings great joy to see families learning how to grow together by putting in place and practing the steps to help them succeed in life. It is a wonderful feeling to know that you have made a difference

Cons

Nonprofit-So trying to get an increase in pay is not always easy. I understand every company has a budget and must have a strategic plan when it comes to pay raises, but since we deal with the county, although we are not a county contracted job, it has an impact on our money.

Advice to Management

To keep an open door for communication with the employees, and to really listen to the needs and to do better at meeting them.

"Good salary and benefits but unrealistic expectations."

Former Employee - Clinician (Therapist) in Pacoima, CA
    Former Employee - Clinician (Therapist) in Pacoima, CA

I worked at Hathaway Sycamores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The training is remarkable. Salary and benefits are good. Most direct supervisors provide needed support. They pay for driving and cellular phone usage. They provide bonuses if you meet billing expectations per week.

Cons

Their billable expectations are extremely high so in order to meet them, an employee must work on average 50 hours per week and get paid for 40. Upper management gets very high salaries while the clinicians (who do all the work) get an average income.

Advice to Management

Provide better support and more realistic expectations from your team members.

"Satisfactory"

Former Employee - R B S Facilitator in Altadena, CA
    Former Employee - R B S Facilitator in Altadena, CA

I worked at Hathaway Sycamores full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Learned alot about my position and the field of which I was apart of

Cons

This is an Agency that is NON-PROFIT,and if you don't reach the numbers they let you know it's about PROFIT

Advice to Management

Take more interest in your co-workers

"Great Place to Work Helping Children and Families!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Hathaway Sycamores full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Treatment philosophy is amazing, supportive environment, great training.

Cons

Large company that has grown and sometimes lacks communication.

Advice to Management

Must be more visible at all locations.