HauteLook Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 7, 2017

1.0
Terry Boyle

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Cool Environment and you can work from home or in office (in 15 reviews)

• Very professional, yet chill and fun work environment that will push you to learn new things (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • If the high turnover rate is not evident enough to the company, I'm not sure if anything will ever change (in 12 reviews)

• Turnover rate: I have never experienced a higher (in 12 reviews)

"If you are not upper management, you are not appreciated here."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I have been working at HauteLook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Easy going dress code

Cons

-Favoritism: Jobs have been created for the favorites of the company. Benefits have also been given to favorites including additional time off/working from home. If you are not one of the favorites of upper management, you are treated as though you do not matter at the company.
    - No discipline: There is no discipline from anyone in upper management. There have been other employees that have broken common HR rules and have continued to work in the company without any disciplinary action (ie: yelling at other employees, attendance discrepancies)
    - No help in career growth: The company has gotten better about letting employees know of positions within, however the issue with trying to grow your career at Hautelook is upper management. Upper management has said that they will assist you in learning about other positions, but once you ask, they end up making you feel bad about taking time away from your normal work day to go shadow. On the other end, there are certain departments that you reach out to to shadow, and they don't respond to your emails or requests. If the company is so willing to help your career growth, they should be promoting processes across the board.
    - Pay: The pay for all hourly positions is pathetic. You are expected to go above and beyond your position duties, but you are not paid out to those expectations. Whether you are on the creative team or on production team, the pay as an hourly employee does not match to the work that is done.
    - Turnover rate: I have never experienced a higher turnover rate than at this company. At one point there was 4-5 employees in production that were quitting and moving on to other companies because they were so dissatisfied here. If the high turnover rate is not evident enough to the company, I'm not sure if anything will ever change.
    - Drama: There is so much drama. I know that the company cannot always control what is said, but they are responsible for how they deal with the aftermath. There is nothing that is ever done.
    - Management: As stated earlier, upper management "plays favorites" and will promote employees they like into management positions. This allows for young, inexperienced employees into positions of power. There have been several issues of mismanagement of various departments and the stats show the performance. There has never been any training for managers missing the mark and the issues are never addressed until they are escalated to a point that the department can not recover from.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees! We take an employee survey for a reason. I have personally taken three employee surveys during my time here and nothing has ever changed. Stop the favoritism. It has become so obvious that some employees are treated better than the majority. Update the job descriptions to correctly reflect what is expected of employees or increase the pay of the employees. Treat your employees like the matter!

"hostile management"

Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at HauteLook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product and business platform. Nice discount. Amazing opportunity for tremendous growth.

Cons

The support team is run by young inexperienced leaders through no fault of their own. This was a start up that was acquired by Nordstrom that grew too fast. Instead of bringing in an experienced leadership and paying them market rate, they promoted young undisciplined entry level reps , continued to pay them entry level salaries to run the run. It created a hostile, high school like environment. The most high skilled workers leaving frustrated, the loud bully's being promoted. Reps going out to their car to smoke pot, drink..etc with no consequence. Reps having loud fits on the floor, coming in still drunk from the night before, mean, nasty gossip. Managers fighting with each other over petty items out in the open. High turnover rate. Many reorgs within a short amount of time. Sad situation. The entire culture is bad. It is not inclusive to the support team. Employees are not aware of the company's mission statement. Not even sure if Hautelook has one.

Advice to Management

Hire a great, strong, calm, leadership team with integrity. Get rid of your drama. No more 5th chances. Bring a Nordstrom leadership team in. Look at a company with a great culture and see what they doing right, like Google, Twitter, Meundies.

"Worst place to work"

I worked at HauteLook full-time

Pros

There are none. Maybe free bagels once a month

Cons

The most cliquey workplace I've ever seen. Even my two managers in the copy writing team (production) rarely said hi to you if you ever run into them in the kitchen or in passing by. Definitely feel that the culture trickles down from upper management. It was pathetic. the turnover rate on our team was so high. I was on the copy team for less than a year and I saw so many people go in and out. All the people I know that worked there in 2016 now no longer work there.

4. "Highest Turnover Rate - HOPELESS"

I worked at HauteLook full-time

Pros

There is none. The pay is low.

Cons

I was on the copy team and I never have seen such a high turnover rate before. People were constantly in and out. Cliques existed even among the two supervisors. I'd be surprised if my current supervisor at that time would even say "Good morning" to me if I ran into her on my way to the kitchen. You wonder why there's even a "team" when clearly everyone just works in their cubicle, not talking to each other and just writing about clothes. Another thing that bothered me is that your supervisors never talk to you in person. They just message and bug you to change this or that in your copy.

"Many challenges… but not the good kind"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at HauteLook full-time

Pros

So desperate for talent that you can work on any project you want.

Cons

Most of the software development team are random Infosys contractors. This caused a lot of rework, delays and frustration. The talent they do attract doesn’t last long.

Advice to Management

Discount the cloths, not your people.

"Lack of communication"

Pros

Other than the nice office space not many pros to speak of. The culture of the teams could use more team building and trust.

Cons

very unorganized management and lack of knowledge sharing. If you want to create a 30/60/90 plan forget about working here. There was no assistance to getting up to speed as the manager already way behind schedules was frustrated and angry to work with.

Advice to Management

Get serious training for managers to develop better working relationships.

"Poor management, no support"

Former Employee - Member Care Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Member Care Representative in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Work from home, discount, my co-workers were awesome people - met my best friend working here

Cons

Super disorganized management, virtually no support - if you have trouble completing a task there is no one to reach out to as managers don't listen and will insist you figure it our for yourself, high turnover rate because of low pay and manager incompetence - majority of managers have little to no management experience and instead moved into roles due to turnover and the company needing bodies to fill the positions even if they're unqualified, virtually impossible to give any anonymous feedback - they have suggestion box that is supposedly anonynmous but it's located inside the downtown office breakroom out in open, the head of department hired multiple employees who lacked experience but were personal contacts of hers, seem deeply confused about how to integrate HauteLook into Nordstrom model so policies and procedures constantly changing

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more and find some way to allow honest, anonymous feedback and then actually take it into consideration. Low morale and mediocre pay will ensure your high turnover problem continues

"Don't Work Here"

I have been working at HauteLook full-time

Pros

The benefits package is great with a 401k. Discount is great and at times of the year it is a bit higher.

Cons

No growth, lots of cliques, they play favorites, micromanaged, unprofessional environment, ineffective hr, pay is a lot lower, the open door policy is nonexistent, money is spent on unnecessary items for the company rather than employees pay checks, start up there will be no change.

Advice to Management

Make time for training management and supervisors they don't know their role.

"Avoid at all costs"

Pros

No pro's. Perhaps the best thing they offer is free valve once a month. How sad

Cons

- high turnover rate because of low pay
    - no room for growth
    - no connection with supervisor. Very exclusive office culture and environment - girls stick together and eat lunch
    - they emphasize "open door policy" but so you can share your thoughts ..absolutely no change or action will occur
    - no personal relationship with supervisor ..hardly will they ever take you out for lunch or get to know you or your background
    - no parking (culver city office) yet they assign parking spots to models who come in earlier than most employees

"look for another company that values you"

Current Employee - Stylist
    Current Employee - Stylist

Pros

Good entry level position
    Very laid back environment
    Bagels every first Friday of the month
    Good benefits

Cons

There's no room for growth here. If you want to get promoted, you kiss people's butts. Promotions are not based on merit, they're based on favoritism. HR doesn't do anything about it when you come to them for their support. Pay is ridiculously low for how hard you work everyday. Your opinion does not matter here. Management is always right. They are stubborn and will not value your opinion or respect you, for that matter. Listen to your employees when they tell you that something is wrong. You're going to lose very valuable people because of bad judgement of your HR team and management. This is not how a Nordstrom company should run. HauteLook is going to ruin the company's reputation of how their employees should be treated.