HauteLook Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 6, 2017

2.0
Terry Boyle

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Cool Environment and you can work from home or in office (in 15 reviews)

• Very professional, yet chill and fun work environment that will push you to learn new things (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • If the high turnover rate is not evident enough to the company, I'm not sure if anything will ever change (in 12 reviews)

• Turnover rate: I have never experienced a higher (in 12 reviews)

1. "No logic. No sense. Paid in cents."

Current Employee - Stylist in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Stylist in Culver City, CA

I have been working at HauteLook full-time

Pros

Holidays/weekends off. Generally chill environment.

Cons

Extremely underpaid and overworked. Hautelook started as a quantity of quality type of business. Expectations increase but compensation doesn't. Pay isn't merit based. Part of the photo studio is salary and the other part hourly. This causes issues of trust and respect. We're "rewarded" with early release and summer Fridays which is great for management and photographers but those of us hourly are shafted.

There's no transparency. A bunch of startup minded leaders operating under the big business Nordstrom mentality living by an "it is what it is" attitude. The turnaround is crazy. We've had 3 HR directors in the last 2 years that have all given us the same answer of "we're looking into it" whenever low compensation is addressed.

Those leaders that have the power to make changes hide away upstairs or at HQ, not sure if their hands are tied or if they are actually that oblivious.

Feedback is encouraged and somewhat enforced with a yearly survey that addresses customer service and other factors that have nothing to do with the job we do, yet nothing ever comes of the feedback. Just overall, when it comes to decisions that effect us all there is seemingly zero logic as a result of a lack of collaboration and experienced leaders, which is a shame because the photo studio is packed full of talented workers that just want to work hard and be compensated accordingly.

Advice to Management

Listen to your team. Don't wait for survey results to then bring up issues that we've attempted to address, especially if you don't have the answers. And if you do have the answers, please share.

Also, fight for your teams. We're so often told that "it is what it is" but as leaders, you have the visibility to make changes that the rest of us don't.

"Hautelook HS"

I have been working at HauteLook full-time

Pros

Great for entry level people fresh out of college looking to gain experience shooting catalog.

Cons

Poor management, overt favoritism, no long term career opportunities. Compensation is at the bottom of industry standards.

Advice to Management

Lead by example, promote those who work hard and have talent, not those who brown nose and buy gifts for their managers.

"Working in Customer Care is like working in a Summer Camp"

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at HauteLook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home and benefits

Cons

Inept leadership, favoritism, lack of transparency, no regulation, and poor customer service policies.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting incompetent agents to supervisors.

"Low pay, unorganzied, toxic work environment"

Pros

Flexible schedule, office location, free parking, employee discount

Cons

This place is a zoo. There is high turnover in every department. Managers and employees from different departments are unfriendly and can't even say hello or good morning in an elevator which creates a very low morale.

In addition, HR is non-existent and never makes themselves available. There's always new policies every week, and flip-flopping which makes no business sense, and has no reasoning behind it.

Furthermore, advancement was offered, and to apply, you you had to commit to working up to 60-100 hours unpaid to even be considered, even though other employees were given the opportunity 2 weeks prior.

Advice to Management

Having Nordstrom corporate takeover was inevitable and has proven to be a terrible decision. Everyone is terribly unhappy in their positions, and the lack of productivity in their work shows.

Instead of victimizing loyal employees for non-issues, take the time to look at the bigger issues you have within your own management, and to improve working conditions in order to stop violating labor laws.

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at HauteLook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with new technology, ahead of the curve as far as continuous integration, code quality, test coverage etc.

Cons

During my last 4 months management has been a core issue, very opinionated, rude, and constructive criticism isnt taken well. Many engineers have left including myself, as well as top product people.

Advice to Management

Message for the top dog(software). You are not fit for that role, you should be where you were architecting, problem solving, new tech exploration, etc. The recently hired managers have single handedly destroyed the once thriving environment that we in the past enjoyed.

"Not Worth It"

I worked at HauteLook full-time

Pros

Fun office environment, lenient and understanding in most personal situations

Cons

No transparency, no possibility of moving up at the company, many broken promises, constant neglection between two offices (one is treated better than the other), super super low pay, high level of work for zero compensation. Turnover rate is the highest I have ever experienced.

Advice to Management

Please understand that you have a good, smart and well rounded staff of employees who deserve to be compensated way more. This place is full of people who work hard and are willing to work harder if their efforts are noticed.

"Wouldn't recommend..."

Former Employee - Member Care in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Member Care in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at HauteLook (Less than a year)

Pros

-Option to work from home or Downtown LA offices
    -20% discount (sometimes more depending on time of the year)
    -Set schedule, can change every few months when shift bidding opens up
    -Full time hours for those looking, benefits (health, 401K) after working a certain number of hours/months
    -Bagel Fridays? Food trucks sometimes?

Cons

Pay: Member Care Agents start at $13.25, regardless of experience
    Schedule: Set schedule is nice however you don't always get your preferred hours, schedules assigned/chosen based on seniority then by performance
    Hours: If you are not looking for F/T employment I would suggest you look elsewhere (ahem students), the schedules are already fairly inflexible and the part time shift availability is basically nonexistent
    Opportunities for advancement: None that I could see. There is a lot of talk about growing within the company but they seemed to really want to keep you in your entry level position for as long as possible.

The turnover is high, higher than any other company or retailer I've ever worked for. About half of my training class left before I did, multiple supervisors, help desk agents and even some higher ups left as well. This made it difficult to keep up with your workload because you are expected to pick up the slack. There were days when I was one of half a dozen people working the phones with 50+ calls in the queue.

From my experience, having thick skin will not keep the really awful customers from getting to you. I have never personally been screamed at, cursed at, and called stupid so many times.

As a lot of others have mentioned, everything is super disorganized. Policies changed all the time with little to no notice, its very much like a start up without any of the benefits.

Despite all of this, I hear the company is doing quite well so I'm sure they'll be around for many years to come.

Advice to Management

Pay people based on experience and they might be willing to stay. Pay equal attention to "good" and underperforming employees. Hire more people to help out your overworked staff, based on the quarterly meetings it certainly seems the company has enough money to do so.

8. "Inventory Data Analyst job is really horrible Data Entry"

Former Freelancer - Inventory Data Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Freelancer - Inventory Data Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at HauteLook (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the people were nice enough. Always got out of work on time at 6 PM. (Hours: strictly 9-6)

Cons

Boring work at a "Data Analyst" which is actually just mind-numbing data entry.

Advice to Management

Automize data entry to save yourself time and money and use your employees in other areas.

9. "Member Care Supervisor"

Pros

The Discount...sometimes. And some of the people

Cons

The pay, lack of leadership. Young company with not enough customer service experience leading Member Care. No focus on Customer satisfaction or Employee appreciation

Advice to Management

Learn to Manage. Take care of your customers and take care of your people.

10. "Member Care Representative"

Current Employee - Member Care Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Member Care Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at HauteLook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home, stipends.

Cons

Schedules change every 3 months. Not flexible. Poor communication with employees.

Advice to Management

Be more flexible with schedules. Focus on providing quality over quantity.