Haven Life Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 7, 2019

4.7
Haven Life CEO Yaron Ben-Zvi
Yaron Ben-Zvi
  1. "Unique Environment, Unique People"

Current Employee - Full Stack Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Haven Life full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Plenty of challenging work, if you want something to get you out of your regular programming you can easily find it. - Very pro innovation. Leadership doesn't shy away from trying out new things, and they even support an innovation challenge every year to actually implement things. - Culture is really awesome. So many interesting people and you can basically find a group in anything you're interested in. We work hard and we like to play hard, especially in foosball. - Very smart and collaborative coworkers. You can learn a lot from the people around you, and everyone is welcoming when it comes to bouncing off ideas.

Cons

- As some teams grow rapidly, their leadership should assess how to shuffle people around and allow for people to move around within them. Some sub teams seem to have become isolated and are not as transparent about things that will effect other groups. - We need to work on accountability more especially in the flat structure environment.

Advice to Management

As the company grows, dare I say there should be a bit more *structure* to some of the flat structure initiatives. Lots of opinions and loud voices can drown out good ideas without a way to move things forward clearly. It turns into stale mates and "he said she said" problems.

Haven Life2019-10-07

"Great people, inspiring leaders and important mission"

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Haven Life full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Everyone you work with is driven, smart and reliable - Our leaders embody our company values and have a clear vision for the future - Perfect balance of total freedom and structure (little if any bureaucracy) - Amazing office space

Cons

- A "bigger" startup so you don't get to work with everyone here directly (although they allow you to move between teams for new challenges if there's a need / fit)

Haven Life2019-10-03

"Constantly Challenged"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Haven Life full-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot of higher growth opportunities as well as lateral movements. The products are constantly evolving and growing. Which leads to a lot of learning along with working. The company rewards employees with high-level skills as well as provide opportunities for anyone to develop higher-level skills. The company's bonus system is unlike any company I have even been with or heard of anyone having been with. It's a very complicated product, that leads to always room to learn more. Also, no remote workers.

Cons

Not working from home friendly. Having said that, the company does invest a lot of money into making sure they provide an amazing workplace with snacks, drinks, etc. And they do not hire remote workers. Everyone is in the same building, same time zone so available for communication, assistance. When needed work from home is allowed, just not on a regular basis. That may be a deal-breaker for some people.

Haven Life2019-10-03

"Great atmosphere, great values, great product"

Current Employee - Customer Success Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Haven Life full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's really nice to know I'm coming to work every day to collaborate with a group of people who really care about serving our customers. Literally every person I have met is respectful, collaborative, and very thoughtful. The team-based structure of the company creates a really stable and productive environment where you can really grow. It's also incredibly nice to work for a company with a great product. Every person really wants to provide a high quality product which truly provides a benefit to our customers. As someone who is the "voice" of the company in most direct interactions it's nice to be able to truthfully let our customers know we are on their side. We do work pretty hard, but work-life balance is very important. This is the first tech job I've had where being a person outside of work (for example scheduling a doctor's appointment) isn't a stressful thing to plan. The benefits and bonus structure are also great! I was honestly a little hesitant to move to a company which seemed more "traditional" but the MassMutual backing provides stability, structure and vision which other startups don't have.

Cons

Honestly, none so far. The only thing I could think of is if a startup with a flat org structure isn't something that is attractive to you, this would not be the place for you.

Advice to Management

Please keep being approachable and collaborative. You do a great job of providing a clear vision for the company and helping employees to grow personally and within the company.

Haven Life2019-10-02
  5. "Meaningful Mission, Challenging Work, Humble Colleagues"

Current Employee - People & Culture in New York, NY

I have been working at Haven Life full-time for more than a year

Pros

Haven Life has grown a lot over the past few years but despite the growth they have kept the start-up feel through hiring a team of kind, smart, and interesting people with positive energy and a passion for their work. The management structure is relatively flat and employees have autonomy to get their work done with minimal bureaucracy. Overall, a great place with team that is focused on getting work done while also being kind to one another and helping each-other succeed!

Cons

The organization is flat and curiosity, innovation, and continued development are valued more than titles and levels. So, it may not the right place for people who are motivated by a title or coast by.

Haven Life2019-10-04
  6. "A job you can be proud of"

Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at Haven Life full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Collaborative, smart team -Opportunity to work on projects that will directly impact the product -Transparent and clear company-wide goals -Great work-life balance -Fast-paced environment with new and exciting challenges every day -You get to innovate and improve a product/industry that has a positive impact on people's lives -Standout work and going above and beyond is recognized by leadership

Cons

-The work and environment are geared toward self-starters. If you need to be micro-managed, this might not be the place for you

7. "n/a"

Current Employee - Office Manager

I have been working at Haven Life full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly hardworking environment that I enjoy working at

Cons

I currently have no cons for Haven Life

Haven Life2019-10-02
  8. "Awesome group of people"

Current Employee - Administrative

I have been working at Haven Life part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Fun, respectful coworkers who are excited about what they do - Management that cares about you as a person, not just an employee - Great benefits such as a bonus program, health care, pro-rated gym membership, snacks, tons of coffee - Beautiful office - Owned by MassMutual but does a great job of making itself unique and autonomous - Great work life balance

Cons

Honestly no cons. I love working here!

Haven Life2019-10-02
  9. "Cutting edge innovation in the insurance industry and a great crew"

Current Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Haven Life full-time for less than a year

Pros

- smart and inspired people - feel of a startup experiencing massive growth, but backing of one of the largest insurers - from the top down everyone is incentivized to achieve common goals and the flat org structure means there's a lot of opportunity for anyone to make an impact

Cons

- pains that are common to companies growing fast

Haven Life2019-10-02
  10. "I wish I found them sooner"

Current Employee - Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Haven Life full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Collaborative working environment Great work-life balance People in leadership are approachable Admirable values Pay is great You're actually helping people here Awesome snacks

Cons

Tech stack could be better

Found 29 reviews