Havenly Designer Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Havenly Designer Reviews

Updated Oct 15, 2019

3.7
Havenly CEO Lee Mayer (no image)
Lee Mayer
  1. "Havenly cares about the quality!"

Current Employee - Designer in McKinney, TX

I have been working at Havenly full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working as a Havenly designer is amazing! They care about the quality, the clients and designers. Designers go through an intense training so they can deliver the best experience to the clients. The design process is easy and fun! I recommend them 100%

Cons

I have nothing to complain about them!

Havenly2019-09-06
  2. "Great for interior design experience"

Former Employee - Interior Designer

I worked at Havenly part-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to set your own hours, work from anywhere, and choose how much work you take on. You gain a ton of valuable design experience working with different clients in a broad range of decor styles.

Cons

My biggest con would be that you very rarely get to see your designs implemented which can get discouraging in a creative position.

Havenly2019-10-15

"Work from home"

Current Employee - Designer

I have been working at Havenly full-time for less than a year

Pros

Havenly provides an online platform to connect designers to clients. You can get as many clients as you want & make commission if you sell product.

Cons

Takes much longer than anticipated for projects.

Havenly2019-09-30
  4. "Like a well-oiled machine"

Current Contractor - Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Havenly for less than a year

Pros

I just started and the on-boarding process was so smooth. Great communication, enthusiastic team, and even though we work remote, the team is right there should you need anything every step of the way. Such a great experience.

Cons

Systems are down sometimes unexpectedly, but whether it's mercury in retrograde or computer robots, it happens. The team provides reassurances and is always on it.

Havenly2019-08-26

"Run for your life"

Former Contractor - Interior Designer in Austin, TX

I worked at Havenly for less than a year

Pros

Formerly, the only pro of working with this company was you could work at home

Cons

After flailing around as a start up and running throught their first round of churn and burn investment cash, they now realize their business model doesn't work (treating designers like unskilled labor) and that they must hire actual employees. However, that does not means a competitive salary or that they have learned how to run a business. The quality of work here is very low, the work expectation of hours... worked is very high and the admin side are inexperienced hacks. Now they want to move into very competitive markets where they will fall on their face. If you are expecting a long career, forget it. They are woman owned, but have failed to provide the salaries and benefits that all women need, taking advantage of women who have kids and want to be home especially (so much for empowering women) . There is no learning here, just hire and fire high turnover, no type of actual two way communication. Another former employee has done a great write up on this company and it's day to day deficiencies so I won't repeat that excellent job. Designers, you need a job that will reflect an excellent portfolio of work. This place is the McDonald's of the design world. All smoke and mirrors.

Advice to Management

Get out of the design business you have no ability to understand it, and don't value your employees.

Havenly2019-09-06
  6. "My Favorite Company So Far!"

Current Contractor - Interior Designer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Havenly for less than a year

Pros

Great platform to work on Lots of compensation opportunities Fair amount of work Easy to communicate with havenly staff Very streamlined process

Cons

Obviously no benefits for a contract employee

Havenly2019-07-31
  7. "Great people, large impact"

Current Employee - UI/User Experience Designer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Havenly full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing team, scrappy & fun work, everything you do directly impacts the product and the business. Honest, transparent leadership team who will support you however they can.

Cons

The only con I can think of is there's no 401k, which is somewhat typical for startups.

Havenly2019-06-25

"Misleading Interior Designers- very pay, long hour, high expectations"

Current Freelancer - Design Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Havenly for less than a year

Pros

Work from home. Management was available to answer questions quickly through chat.

Cons

Not real interior design work. Make designers use their own photoshop to crop out images and their own floor plan software. No software is provided, yet everything the designers do is micromanaged all the way down to how many emojis you use in chat. Advertised as a position for Interior Designers, with opportunities to work from home and flexible hours. Told you will be paid per client with expectations for how... long each client will take. Presents as a great opportunity as a side job or part-time job for anyone with design skills. They present the job to expect to earn between 1,8000- $3000 a month as a design consultant. Quickly learn that each client takes far longer than advertised. Including review processes and client revision work. After one week of working over 60 hours, and 1 full week of unpaid training, I made less than $40. Requires you to have your own software, and to be available to clients and management 24/7 even if you update the calendar for your working hours.

Advice to Management

Give access to software that cuts out the furniture pieces on the boards and your consultants and designers will be much more productive. Other companies have this and it works. Provide your people floor plan software, instead of directing them to use free versions of other companies Hire designers on salary. Paying per board, when one board can take 3 hours and one can take 3 days equates to pay far under the... minimum wage. Huge turnover, more hiring, more training costs. You'll save in the end.

Havenly2019-06-12
  9. "Love Havenly"

Current Contractor - Interior Designer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Havenly for less than a year

Pros

- Work from home - I am able to be home with my babies - Design spaces and do what I love - Clients are sent to me, I do not need to promote - Can work as much as I want - Potential to make commission - Employers are friendly and wonderful to work with

Cons

- Design program sometimes has bugs that delay deadlines - lack of getting to know client and spending time on what they want - capacity and deadline push makes design personalization difficult

Advice to Management

N/A, love the management!

Havenly2019-04-05

"DON'T Waste Your Time"

Former Employee - Designer

I worked at Havenly full-time

Pros

Started working here because I wanted to transition into creative work and I had visions of Havenly being a fun, young, hip company to work for. I DID enjoy the design work and became super efficient in Photoshop - however, just like all the other reviews say, the expectations at this company are beyond reasonable and what could be a cool opportunity became something that I was highly resentful of. As for the "cool"... work culture, there are definitely some great people who work there, but there is a twisted discomfort and unhappiness in the company - I believe stemming from the fact that people are over-worked and trying to keep up the facade that they love their jobs and Havenly is an awesome company when, in fact, they are resentful and angry with the way this place is run. In fact, had this suspicion confirmed multiple times when I talked to co-workers one on one. Lee, the CEO was completely cold, immature and at times straight up insulting. Which trickles down into terrible management below her.

Cons

The place is infected with bad management. The managers openly talk badly about designers and offer little support. They are forever demanding more with little respect for your efforts, time, or paycheck. They honestly have zero compassion for their designers who are working endless hours for clients with EXTREMELY minimal pay, they are never on your side or working in your best interest. Then the pay.... You make a... small base amount per project you take on and the rest is commission. I could go on and on about how horrible the commission structure is. You've already seen it in other reviews, but the percentage you make is criminal to the point that Havenly should be shut down. The only way to make any sort of reasonable money is to take so many clients per week that you are essentially working 24/7 - I kid you not, you are constantly replying to client's messages, so you're really never off the clock. The juggling act of taking SO many clients per week, while answering messages, while editing projects for clients that have been dragging on for weeks, while trying to devote enthusiasm and good experiences for your new clients, while trying to make commission on finished projects drives designers to burn out. I've talked to so many Havenly designers that have experienced this. Not to mention, after all of that, MAJORITY of the clients take your design, disappear from messaging, and never purchase a thing. This company is in serious panic mode - the model just isn't working. NO one is buying. And when they do? The shipping process is flawed - every single time. I'll be surprised if this company makes it. I highly suggest you do not waste a single moment working for this company. If you're like me, I thought, I'll just use this as an opportunity to build my portfolio and move on. Do not make the same mistake - I left this company feeling used, extremely resentful and not a step further towards any other design job.

Havenly2019-03-01