KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Havenly Reviews

Updated May 31, 2022

Found 172 of over 323 reviews

3.3
Havenly CEO and Co-Founder Lee Mayer (no image)
Lee Mayer

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "I think after I've been with the company for a few years I might grow tired of the low pay and lack of benefits...(in 50 reviews)
  • "The place is infected with bad management.(in 16 reviews)
  • "Make less than minimum wage for quality time and designs.(in 15 reviews)
  • "6% commission, with the average rate being 2%).(in 13 reviews)
  • "there is no work/life balance(in 7 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Havenly and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great community of people!

Mar 14, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have personally loved working for Havenly for the last couple of years. Starting in an entry-level role to learn the nitty-gritty of a start-up has been challenging and ever-changing. I like the fact that not every day is the same. We are always learning something new. We have a really good support system of colleagues and everyone is really delightful to work with, even remotely! I feel like I have "family" to lean on even though we've never met face to face. That means a lot to me during the times we are living in through covid. PTO, Floating holidays, Volunteer time off is very very good!

Cons

A clear vision for future growth & opportunities could be enhanced but having said that, direct managers are always open to hearing feedback and act on it if they are able. The benefits package is not great for my needs but I understand that seeing it's a smaller company.

2. 3.0

Great Company, Little Pay

May 31, 2022 - Interior Designer in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

The team is great and very supportive, always offers help and gives extra help and time when needed. Very convenient to be able to work from home and set your own schedule and client capacity as well.

Cons

It takes a LOT of work for little compensation. No base pay is guaranteed, and you have to build up clientele and get a lot of purchases to make any type of commission. It takes a few months at the start to make any sort of paycheque.

1 person found this review helpful
  3. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Slave labor (average $1.50 per hour, 12 hour days), clients are rude and purchase items elsewhere

May 31, 2022 - Designer
    Business Outlook

Pros

The illusion of freedom until the reality of the job sets in

Cons

I initially did my research on Havenly by reading employee reviews and saw that all over the internet they have horrible employee reviews (except for a few good ones, but these employees were not designers, they were in management roles...pay attention!) I chose to believe that these reviews were written by disgruntled former employees who had a falling out with the company, and that everything would be fine... unfortunately not. Havenly has an extremely high turnover and people excitedly start their "designer" role with the promise of time and location freedom, the ability to set your own schedule, an enjoyable design career, the potential to make money through commission. Every single aspect of that is a lie. I was working what was considered "part time" (three new clients per week) and was literally working 12-13 hour days, 5 days per week, with an average paycheck of $350 per MONTH. (To break that down, that's an average of 240 hours per month, and a compensation of $350 per MONTH =$1.45 per HOUR of extremely high intensity work, not to mention that this is a 1099 role, so subtract your own taxes from that plus you pay for your own Photoshop license and any other software and devices as well...) I was working at a frantic pace to complete each project and started this role in very high spirits. I was constantly threatened that if I didn't sell enough items I would be fired, and whenever I asked for help from my manager I was just told that I needed to be "more efficient...." Management does not treat you like a human being, you are a robot expected to churn out constant content for literal pennies. Aside from making no money at all and working at a super intense pace 12+ hours per day, the clients are the actual worst. I had a few clients that were nice or pleasant to work with, but most clients want constant revisions (you do not get paid for this. You get paid like a $15 flat rate per design board, and then a small commission on items IF you can sell any. I sold ONE ITEM in my 4 months at Havenly, despite getting super high ratings from clients.) The clients pay a small fee for the entire project, and then act like they are so boujee and hired a fancy interior designer that they can boss around. I was constantly talked down to by clients and ordered around like they owned me, and spent hours upon hours making revisions for them, and then EVERY. SINGLE. client I had went out and bought cheaper versions of the items elsewhere online, or at Costco in one case. They were also fully aware that I was working almost completely on commission, and just straight up didn't care one bit. They would send me links to items they purchased halfway through the design process and say "I bought this from XYZ.com, include it on the board." + that means one less item I could potentially make commission on. It makes sense, though: currently Havenly packages are "on sale" for $45 for Memorial Day. If someone doesn't want to pay for a real Interior Designer (and I get it, that's very expensive!) and they can only invest $45 into their design advice, there is just no way that they are going to want to shell out $3K for a sofa and $1.5K for a coffee table, and so on. They are very high end pieces of furniture, but Havenly is sucking people in with the low design rate, pocketing that, and then not caring that their designers are getting paid in 3rd world country rates, because they know their turnover is insanely high, and its just part of their business model. I cannot believe I invested months of my time at this company. I kept thinking it would get better, I would sell more, and then realized that was ridiculous and finally quit. It was the most stressful role I've ever had and regret every minute of it. I hope this review is transparent. I was so, so excited to work at this company, to work from home and have a fun job, but sadly none of that is true.

8 people found this review helpful

Havenly Response

We’re sorry that your experience with Havenly was such a negative one. We truly value the Designers who work with us and are incredibly motivated to support them to help them grow their business, and are currently in process of rolling out new tools and processes to do just that. The role is clearly not for everyone, as Designers experience different levels of success. However, it’s also worth mentioning that we have a large number of Designers who have been working with Havenly successfully for many years now. Your feedback is valuable to us as our goal is to bring on the right Designers who don’t end up regretting their decision after investing their time and effort. We hope you know that we are looking critically at the issues you have mentioned here, and actively implementing better solutions.

4. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Interior Designer

Mar 30, 2022 - Independent Contractor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home, choose your own design styles, easy and fast training program

Cons

I asked for Part-time since I was still enrolled in University, I was working 10 am-6 pm every day Monday through Friday and sometimes Saturdays. The client always comes first and you only have 24hrs to respond to every message (even on holidays)

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Incredible group people to work with

Mar 9, 2022 - Associate Support Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Remote, great people, room to grow and promotions

Cons

Started in CX and pay was pretty low. They have since increased the pay for that position.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work

Feb 22, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Love the culture, leadership team is very strong, exciting growth trajectory for company and professional development

Cons

None as of now, great place to work

7. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Not great

Mar 1, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Remote work , Some perks, okay

Cons

Hard to move up in the company lower level staff under-appreciated toxic positivity instead of transparency

3 people found this review helpful

Havenly Response

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We rely on the input from current and former employees to allow us to better understand how we can best serve our team in addition to all our clients.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Many more pros than cons!

Feb 14, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- One of the most supportive and kind work cultures I've ever experienced. Leadership genuinely cares about employees' work-life balance, well-being, etc. - Even in entry level jobs, there is a lot of room to create your own projects, stretch into more challenging tasks, and work with a variety of teams. - Pay is competitive, and leadership is open to evaluating compensation when needed. Benefits are pretty standard, but there are some fun perks, like fertility benefits and design perks! - Employees are empowered and trusted to make decisions for the good of customers.

Cons

- Super quick growth the last couple of years means that a lot of back end systems and processes could function much more efficiently. The current emphasis on addressing customer-facing systems makes sense, but does lead to lots of workarounds! Anything that prevents you from doing your job gets fixed quickly, but if there's a workaround available, expect to use it indefinitely. - Paths for progression could be clearer. The company is growing quickly, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of support for those who wish to grow into different teams.

1 person found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Incredibly Rewarding , Amazing team, Extraordinary Job!

Feb 17, 2022 - Chief Business Officer in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

For the first time, I truly feel able to move the needle on a professional challenge that is important to me. Creating spaces that people feel good in at an accessible price points. The team is smart and motivated but also so creative. It is incredible to see so many bright people aligned on similar goals. Not only that, the team is excited to take thoughtful risks and explore new possibilities that make the job challenging and exciting. I truly feel supported here and trusted. At times when there have been challenges, there was open conversation and discussion. The CEO is inspirational and is truly trying to build a better company that offers accessible solutions to real issues.

Cons

I wish there were more people looking for creative work in Denver, it can be challenging to recruit for in person roles even though we have a flexible remote work structure!

10. 2.0
    Current Employee

Portfolio Builder but not a forever position

Feb 21, 2022 - Home Stylist in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

3D renderings, Design experience, Remote working

Cons

Pay is per project + Commission, when you break down the hours you are making less than minimum wage Unclear expectations and insufficient training Unfit managers and reviewers Glitchy platform

4 people found this review helpful

Havenly Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We appreciate your input regarding the onboarding of designers, as this certainly assists us in building best practices moving forward. We consistently review our designer compensation program, and have recently implemented new opportunities for designers to increase their earning potential and overall compensation. Our goal at Havenly is for all of our Designers to grow their businesses with Havenly and achieve success. Please feel free to reach out to us to learn more about what we’re doing to ensure our designer pay is competitive in the market.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 172 Reviews

Havenly Reviews FAQs

Havenly has an overall rating of 3.3 out of 5, based on over 323 reviews left anonymously by employees. 60% of employees would recommend working at Havenly to a friend and 59% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 10% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Havenly employees rate their compensation and benefits as 2.7 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Havenly. This rating has improved by 16% over the last 12 months.

60% of Havenly employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Havenly 3.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.7 for culture and values and 3.2 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Havenly to be benefits, culture, coworkers and the cons to be career development, management, compensation.

Popular Careers with Havenly Job Seekers