Hawaii State Department of Education Reviews in Hawaii | Glassdoor

Hawaii

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Randolph G. Moore

Pros
  • Good pay especially for part time (in 4 reviews)

• The vacation benefits are unlike any other profession, and Hawaii state worker benefits are very good (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Bureaucracy, Low pay relative to cost of living, discipline issues (in 9 reviews)

• The worst thing about the work with the Department of Education is low pay and no benefits (in 4 reviews)

1. "Teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher in Lahaina, HI
    Current Employee - Teacher in Lahaina, HI

I have been working at Hawaii State Department of Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Living in Hawaii, Vacation, Benefits

Cons

-Bureaucracy, Low pay relative to cost of living, discipline issues

Advice to Management

-Allow teachers to be creative professionals, reduce the need for pointless paperwork and meetings, have the schools be about the kids

"English Teacher"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wailuku, HI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wailuku, HI

I worked at Hawaii State Department of Education full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees are encouraged to bring the previous knowledge and expertise in daily lessons. Coworkers are incredibly supportive and will strive for collaboration in longer lesson units.

Cons

Extremely difficult to retain a sense of work-life balance. There is a heavy workload in which employees are simply expected to sacrifice personal time to get the necessary work done.

Advice to Management

Be clearer about the purposes of training and more open to feedback from veteran teachers. Many meetings seemed to be punitive rather than constructive.

"Undervalued. Low morale. Honolulu School District Special service provider (SLP, BHS, OT, SW, CP)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Hawaii State Department of Education full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

When you grow up here, no problems. Flexible work schedule, no strict supervision, get to service half of a complex (Farrington), dont usually have to be at every meeting (SFT, IEP, eligibility meeting etc), don't work over time usually, and not too much hassle from school staff

Cons

So much gossip and bad talking about each other-especially the mainland Haoles who come to work on the island. Low moral and a lot of favoritism/passive aggressive bullying, especially from the higher ups (DES, supervisors, office clerks). SLPs don't have much say on who should or shouldn't be tested, get services, and aren't valued when they try to give recommendations. Similar complaints have been noted by the psychologists social workers and occupational therapists.
    Also a lot of favoritism from the des in honolulu, if you're liked, you get all the good schools, the easy schools, the easy case load, but if you aren't a favorite then you get thrown to the wolves. I overheard a supervisor telling one of the clerks that "they hope they can encourage her to quit" I was so shocked and they didn't even try to be quiet when I walked in. Also pay is crap. Offices are dirty and unhealthy. You spend all your time driving from school to school and the staff isn't always inviting. They won't give you wifi even though you're working at your school, they sometimes don't make you feel like you're part of a team or feel included.

Advice to Management

Make special services SBBH professionals feel valued. Low expectations and low oversight only creates lazy unhappy undervalued employees who don't feel like what they do means anything to anybody. The whole point we service kids and families is because we want to feel connected, like we are doing something meaningful (even if we are kind of over testing or meeting w parents, at least what we do day in and day out is valuable to someone... also, there has to be an end to all the gossip and bad mouthing especially from higher ups. If I can't trust my boss and I see them disrespect and share other employees private personal matters, I can't feel secure about what they may say about me.

5. "McKinley Community School for Adults"

Former Employee - Part-Time Teacher in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Part-Time Teacher in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Hawaii State Department of Education part-time

Pros

Friendly staff
    The admin gave the teachers freedom to develop their curriculum.
    Flexibility in which semesters teachers can teach.

Cons

With no pay for prep time and what administrators demand that requires extensive prep time, you're better off working as a retail sales associate.
    Some students lacked motivation to learn.

Advice to Management

Pay the teachers more.
    Hire full-time, rather than part-time, teachers, so they can invest themselves more into their classes.

6. "substitute teacher"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Hawaii State Department of Education (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours and days, time spent with teenagers, helping out teachers in all curriculums.

Cons

No benefits, always on call

"teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher in Lihue, HI
    Former Employee - Teacher in Lihue, HI

I worked at Hawaii State Department of Education full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working with the students is always the best part of teaching. The office staff are always helpful and the school day hours are great for those with children of their own.

Cons

Hot classrooms, extended meetings, poorly organized, dictated curriculum and watchdog environment.

Advice to Management

The Department of Education in the state of Hawaii needs an overhaul. They are often 10 years behind in educational practices and waste time, money and resources. The schools are run down and poorly maintained. Principals are rarely at their schools. Mismanaged from top to bottom.

8. "Special education teacher"

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher, Elementary School in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Special Education Teacher, Elementary School in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Hawaii State Department of Education full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The weather Is great in Hawaii.

Cons

Sped teacher worked their butts off. Admin tends to treat education like a customer service job and the customers are the parents. You will get burnt out and we will work way over your union contractual hours.

Advice to Management

Pay sped teachers for all the time they put into IEP related activities.

9. "paraprofessional"

Former Employee - Paraprofessional in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Paraprofessional in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Hawaii State Department of Education (More than 3 years)

Pros

any time off you like and work around you avalability