KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Hawaiian Telcom Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2022

Found 96 of over 100 reviews

3.6
Hawaiian Telcom President and General Manager John Komeiji (no image)
John Komeiji

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Sexual Orientation

This rating reflects the overall rating of Hawaiian Telcom and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

A great place to work in Hawaii

Apr 12, 2022 - Telecommunications Technician
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay, benefits, opportunities to grow. Company provides tools and most training. It’s a career move if you can handle the work. Union strong.

Cons

Schedule is not flexible like some may need. Mandatory overtime does come up from time to time and although I love it some may not. Lots of on the job hazards so you always need to bring your A game.

1 person found this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good job

Apr 11, 2022 - Outside Sales Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good job and able to make some serious cash, mustnbe motivTed

Cons

If you’re not motivated and do the minimum, you will not get good leads and the job will be hard. Hard workers get rewarded, lazy workers get trash.

3. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Decent place to work

Apr 7, 2022 - Lead Planner in Honolulu, HI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedule, fast pace, team oriented.

Cons

Demanding work projects, limited resources.

4. 4.0

Infrastructure projects

Mar 4, 2022 - Project Engineer in Honolulu, HI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good work culture and people in company

Cons

Limited upward mobility unless you are experienced in management

5. 5.0

Awesome place to work

Jan 28, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good management and leadership. Expectations and visions are clear and communicated well.

Cons

Can’t think of anything currently

6. 3.0

Easy to work with

Mar 15, 2022 - Helpdesk Agent
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great management Reasonable Schedule Decent pay Comfortable work environment

Cons

Advancement within the company is difficult

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great place to work.

Dec 23, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Aloha culture within the workforce

Cons

Hard to get decent pay raises unless you change positions

8. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Excellent pay and benefits but highly stressful and no career growth

Nov 8, 2021 - Call Center Representative in Honolulu, HI
    Business Outlook

Pros

I started out at an entry level as a contractor and worked my way up to the highest position in the call center. Since we are under a union contract, we have excellent pay and benefits but it all stops there. This job is a highly stressful one, compared to my previous job where we only have 1 software to use daily... In my 12 years of experience, I have learned around 24-26 softwares for sales, customer service, billing and technical support and needless to say, those softwares are mediocre at best. They are nowhere to close to my old job where all you have to do is to click. You don't just use the systems, you also troubleshoot it yourself when it acts up!!! How can you get better at your job when you are not focused on one thing and improve yourself as your experience grows? When you start off at customer services, billing and sales, the training is great and you start off fairly decent with enough training but not all of the things you've learned in training is sufficient for real world scenario, there are so many things that you will learn only on the floor. Sales expectations are really high, you get assessed daily on your work performance and have one-on-one meetings with your supervisor quarterly, if not monthly. If you fail to meet the requirements consistently, you will be placed on a disciplinary, improvement plan and if you still fail to make progress, you will be let go. The culture and work environment is toxic, you talk to customers all day with majority of those calls are complaints and irate callers. I'm a tough cookie and I don't take things personally, that's not the hard part. The difficulty that every rep on the floor struggles with is the lack of tools and resources to fully help the customer due to its antiquated system where there is a lot of manual work involved and lots of passing the buck to different departments where it takes even longer for them to come back with solutions. Our hold time is ridiculous, sometimes we have customers waiting for up to 4 hours on hold to speak to a representative because of the high turnover and the staff has decreased to 40-50% due to stress. Management does not listen to employees concern and even if they do, it takes them forever, literally years to improve on something that shouldn't take a few weeks to implement. They reward unethical sales behaviors and turn a blind eye to high achievers even if their sales are questionable, thereby lowering the employees morale. Also, they do not promote career growth therefore you are stuck at your position. I've seen numerous times where nepotisim is exercised, you only move to a different dept or get promoted when you know someone or chummy in the higher management. When I first started, there were 6 of us in training, before the 6 months probation was up, I was the only one left. The most recent batch of new hires, some of them only lasted 2-3 months after their training. This should speak to the extremely high level of stress involved. We do get paid up to $35 an hour with great benefits and 10% 401 matching but in the overall scheme of things, these are not enough for me to stay with Hawaiian Tel. I would have loved to retire here but I could not take anymore the stress involved.

Cons

Antiquated systems, poor management, low morale

1 person found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Great Company

Sep 19, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great inter-departmental teamwork at every level of the company.

Cons

While growth is possible, due to size, you may not be able to move up when you're ready.

10. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Good place to work

Aug 16, 2021 - Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good senior leadership and management team focused on employee satisfaction. I feel like they want me to succeed and grow.

Cons

It can be very stressful at times working here. The company asks a lot of you. Salaries should be higher.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 96 Reviews

Hawaiian Telcom Reviews FAQs

Hawaiian Telcom has an overall rating of 3.6 out of 5, based on over 100 reviews left anonymously by employees. 78% of employees would recommend working at Hawaiian Telcom to a friend and 63% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Hawaiian Telcom employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.1 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Hawaiian Telcom. This rating has improved by 2% over the last 12 months.

78% of Hawaiian Telcom employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Hawaiian Telcom 3.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.6 for culture and values and 3.5 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Hawaiian Telcom to be coworkers, career development, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, culture, management.

Popular Careers with Hawaiian Telcom Job Seekers