Hawks Cay Resort Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Enjoyable workplace"

Current Employee - Massage Therapist
    Current Employee - Massage Therapist

I have been working at Hawks Cay Resort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with Hawks Cay for a few years now and have really been enjoying my time working on Duck Key. For the field I am in they have a competitive pay structure and excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401k, paid holidays, and employee meals. This is a huge perk for me. My coworkers are great and I find my work both challenging and rewarding.

Cons

I work on a somewhat remote island in the keys. We have high turn over because of this and a lot of time, money and resources are spent on training new people.

Advice to Management

Try to find incentives to retain your key employees and managers long term

2. "food and beverage supervisor"

I worked at Hawks Cay Resort full-time

Pros

good company to work for

Cons

clickyness between members
    manager favorites
    benefits package too pricey

3. "Hawks Cay is great!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Hawks Cay Resort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of room for advancement! I started out at an entry-level position, and moved up to management within a year with hard work. The resort is large, and always looking for good team-members.

Cons

Sometimes there is too much work in the day, for just one person/manager.

Advice to Management

Some of the smaller departments need more team members to run more efficiently.

4. "Corporate... corporate... corporate..."

Former Employee - Food Server
    Former Employee - Food Server

I worked at Hawks Cay Resort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My coworkers were awesome. It was a friendly and beautiful atmosphere. They have health benefits, 401k etc. It was a team atmosphere.

Cons

It is extremely corporate. Management gets SO caught-up in the rules that they lose sight of the guests. The middle managers are terrible. They are almost like a little club and they are put on a pedestal. They are NEVER heald accountable. Blame alwsys falls on the employee.

Advice to Management

The head manager of this place is top-notch. My advice to him is to train your managers to treat their employees as equals. Although i loved working for hawks cay, in the end i resigned because of terrible managers.

5. "Would definitely recommend to work here"

I worked at Hawks Cay Resort full-time

Pros

Employees are treated well. All you can eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. Diverse environment. SUNSHINE! Everyone says Hi with a smile. Beautiful people everywhere.

Cons

high turnover. health benefits were okay, but could've been better.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do best. Hawks Cay is truly a gem.

6. "Server"

Pros

Good Company to work for. Good People. Fun area.

Cons

Not that much time off.

7. "Great Place to Work... If You Don't Commit"

Pros

Cheap staff housing is provided, along with three meals a day.

Plenty of opportunity for upward growth for intelligent, well spoken employees who take initiative and stick to the company policies.

Beautiful location, it feels great to work in paradise every day.

Guests are usually very amiable and easy to get along with.

Benefits including insurance and 401k are provided.

Very diverse culture and co-workers. Co-workers and management are very friendly, upper management makes a point to learn your name and greet you when they see you.

Cons

Provided meals are usually MSG laced, heavy-in-your-gut hotbox trays that are a far cry from healthy.

Wages are on the low end if you aren't a manager. Not a problem if you're living in staff housing, but otherwise you will struggle to make ends meet.

Management, especially upper management, is a hot, sticky, sweaty mess. They will ignore any issues that are not related to expenses. Managers rarely last longer than a year.

The turnover rate is outright comical. During my first year, four new managers were hired, two were fired, one suspended, almost every supervisor on property resigned over the course of the year and was replaced, some of whom resigned/were fired, and were replaced again. The entire Marina department save for three people resigned. They were not replaced. At the time of writing this, the entire Recreation department has resigned, been fired, or is leaving within the next two months, with the exception of one employee and one supervisor. Half the maintenance department has resigned.

Human Resources is there solely to minimize liability. Be sure to document and record proof of any complaints before bringing it to HR.

Company is very disorganized. Be prepared to let things go, and just enjoy your job day-to-day. This is a very stressful and frustrating job if you concern yourself with how the business is run.

Advice to Management

Work on the frontlines for a week. Management would understand what the resort needs much more effectively if they experienced firsthand the most common issues and complaints.

Stop importing your labor. I realize that it's cheaper for you to import workers on 3-month visas and not have to pay out benefits for them since they don't work beyond the legal 3-month probationary period, but the trade-off in quality of work and guest satisfaction isn't worth it.

Re-assess payroll distribution efficiency. Mid-level managers and supervisors do 90% of the work, frequently working more than 50 hours a week to keep the departments running. Department heads are generally ignored by everyone under them, and vice-versa(Food & Beverage, and front desk being the notable exceptions).

Invest in improving facilities. I hear almost daily guest complaints that the rooms/villas are shabby, dirty, and dysfunctional. The maintenance guys usual response is to shrug/sigh in resignation "Yeah, I know. It's not my call to make."

8. "Amazing place that could use a few changes."

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Hawks Cay Resort full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful grounds, amazing coworkers and most management. Housing villas great. HR department always a pleasure. If you're willing to work, the hours are there. A few perks to working there like sunset cruise and kayaking. Potential to make some money.

Cons

Upper and new management company, the same 5 and 10
    Foot rule should apply to you as well. Alma manager needs to be replaced with someone willing to work and not bully employees. Find someone who cares for PM Ocean restaurant to manage it so that it will thrive and raise morale among employees.
    Same buffet every day, change it up! Variety is the spice of life
    Auto grat only applies to spa and in room dining.

Advice to Management

Upper management and new management company, try practicing what you preach. The rules apply to you as well. Recognize that your employees are there working hard to not only make money but make it a memorable experience for the guests. They are the ones that represent the resort. They're the ones that are taking care of the guests every day and talking with them. Show some respect. They work harder than you do.

9. "Server"

Pros

Busy and could make money

Cons

Tip not included
    Season not busy

10. "front desk"

I have been working at Hawks Cay Resort full-time

Pros

the people to work with are great! place is so beautiful!

Cons

management is very open to hire anyone, better wages, less work load , very remote area, no advancement into management, big turnover means less permanent employees

Advice to Management

better hireing process, better compensation for employees, less work load, more qualified employees