KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Hawthorne Gardening Company Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2022

Found 54 of over 59 reviews

3.5
Hawthorne Gardening Company General Manager  Chris Hagedorn (no image)
Chris Hagedorn

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
    There are no cons to display at this time.
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great

Jul 5, 2022 - Supervisor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people and good benefits

Cons

Business slowed, had schedule change

2. 5.0

Very good

Jun 12, 2022 - EHS Lead in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good people good place. Benefits.

Cons

Downsizing. Other than that great.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

I love my job. I love this company.

May 24, 2022 - Human Resources Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent leadership Exceptionally above average benefits Great Work/life balance Great people/co-workers/managers VERY focused on associate development and training Growth opportunities

Cons

Cannabis Industry is volatile, so things can change quickly.

4. 4.0
    Current Employee

Good experience

May 26, 2022 - Shift Lead
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great wage, good benefits, three day weekends

Cons

Long hours, monotonous hard labor

5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Honest

May 26, 2022 - Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay and good culture

Cons

Difficult time in the business right now

6. 1.0
    Former Employee

The Kool-Aid Isn’t Worth Your Soul

May 28, 2022 - Sales
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working with legacy brands and products in the cannabis industry and meeting some of the most wonderful people over the years has definitely enriched my personal and professional life. Nice to have the name and experience on my resume and enjoyed some pretty solid perks during my employment there. What was once a great place to work has now been run into the ground and a race to the bottom for the cannabis industry due to the corporate greed and poor executive management from Scotts Miracle Gro.

Cons

Hawthorne is a burning ship dragging down the retail hydroponic market with it and forcing the hand of their retailers into doing business with them by acquiring all the major brands of the industry. Within the past couple months, they’ve terminated the very individuals who literally built the relationships for what was once Sunlight Supply (before the corporate takeover by Scotts Miracle Gro). Numbers-driven executives have infiltrated the ranks of the company while actively pushing out the veterans who were the LIFE and SPIRIT of the the company. Lack of respect for an individual’s personal medical choices, no loyalty to those who have devoted years of their life to the company and even less loyalty to their retail customers. If you want to be the hated face of the cannabis industry, that’s what you’ll find at Hawthorne as Scotts continues to destroy it.

7. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great Place

May 4, 2022 - Senior Supply Chain Analyst in Vancouver, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay, amazing benefits, super nice people, cool industry to be in

Cons

Not a lot to say, I had a great experience here.

8. 5.0

Great place to work!

May 9, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people and passion for the product!

Cons

Very corporate and fluctuating market!

9. 2.0

Learned Helplessness

May 4, 2022 - Production Operator
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, steady work until recently.

Cons

Everyone I've encountered in low to mid level management seems to be "just doing their job" and is unable to step outside of the status quo. Associates are looked down at and talked down to.

10. 3.0

Brand New Management Team

Mar 27, 2022 - Warehouse Associate in Tracy, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Relatively easy, good pay, good benefits through Scotts

Cons

New upper management, receiving and shipping department leadership create a toxic work environment for employees. Receiving department leadership is quick to write-up associates.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 54 Reviews

Hawthorne Gardening Company Reviews FAQs

Hawthorne Gardening Company has an overall rating of 3.5 out of 5, based on over 59 reviews left anonymously by employees. 67% of employees would recommend working at Hawthorne Gardening Company to a friend and 52% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -7% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Hawthorne Gardening Company employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Hawthorne Gardening Company. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

67% of Hawthorne Gardening Company employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Hawthorne Gardening Company 3.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.6 for culture and values and 3.4 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Hawthorne Gardening Company to be career development, coworkers, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, culture, management.

Popular Careers with Hawthorne Gardening Company Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at Hawthorne Gardening Company? Share Your Experiences

Hawthorne Gardening Company logo

Hawthorne Gardening Company Careers

Cover image for Hawthorne Gardening Company

Cultivating companies with a love for gardening as green as the gardens they grow. Hawthorne Gardening Co. is a house of brands that...More

• What We Believe
  • What You'll Get

Company Updates

807 days ago

Health, Safety and Financial Wellness amid Coronavirus Our business is a key part of the supply chain for essential businesses and activities, from home centers and hardware stores to fresh food cultivation and the controlling of rodents and insects. During this time of uncertainty, it's important to know where companies stand before making a job or career change. We're dedicated to the safety of our candidates and associates. That's true whether you're looking for a part-time role to get through this tough season or want to make your next career move. Our coronavirus (COVID-19) response team monitors the impact daily. We have introduced premium pay as a temporary benefit and have taken steps to sanitize facilities and protect our frontline associates. We hope you're healthy and safe, and look forward to connecting with you.

1693 days ago

Our Vermicrop team recently held their 3rd annual VermiFest: Our festival for the community! The event is totally free, and attendees get a taste of the Vermi culture. We also show them crazy amounts of Vermi love. We recently held our third VermiFest celebration, and over 350 people from the community attended. It was amazing! This year, we had music, food trucks, candy, bounce houses, balloon animals, and games including limbo, giant Connect Four, corn hole and many other carnival games. We also had a Halloween costume contest, pumpkin decorating, free photos, and great raffle prizes. VermiFest means a lot to our associates and is a highlight of our team’s year. Throughout the event, our volunteers are making sure that our guests are having a great time. And after the event is over, we’re already anxious for the next one. Everyone feels more connected with the community because of VermiFest. Thank you to Vermicrop Director of Operations John Perrino and our Vermicrop associates who make this event possible!
Shared image

Hawthorne Gardening Company Photos

+ Add Photo
Hawthorne Gardening Company photo of: Our friends at Leafly spotted this relic of a backpack on the train in Seattle. Must be at least 5 years old. Anyone else have one of these?
Hawthorne Gardening Company photo of: Always a fun time at the GH headquarters
Hawthorne Gardening Company photo of: Zowee can't help but smile when looking at all that great GH product. Make sure to swing by Ecogarden Supply located at 800 Transfer Rd #3 St. Paul MN 55114
Hawthorne Gardening Company photo of: Zoe visiting Cerritos Hydroponics. Shoutout to Cody and Jack for holding it down.
Hawthorne Gardening Company photo of: We call this one- Focused Primal Rage
Hawthorne Gardening Company photo of: Our team had a great time at CannaCon Boston not too long ago. Thanks to everyone who stopped by the booth
Hawthorne Gardening Company photo of: Keep that CaMg+ in your sights during your next purchase.