Cover image for Hawthorne Gardening Company

48% Recommend to a Friend
63% Approve of CEO

Found 65 of over 70 reviews

3.3
Hawthorne Gardening Company General Manager  Chris Hagedorn (no image)
Chris Hagedorn

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 3.0

Review

Nov 15, 2022 - Production Supervisor in Vancouver, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pay Exceptional 401k match Medical benefits

Cons

Poor understanding of production forecasting and product life cycle which caused over production and mass layoffs

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good pay

Oct 23, 2022 - Lead Operator in Romulus, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay. Nice Large warehouse.

Cons

Slow work. Lots of standing around

3. Join the Hawthorne Gardening Company team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great people, fun culture, archaic operations.

Oct 22, 2022 - Engineer in Vancouver, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The culture is laid back and basically everyone is friendly and has a good attitude. Good mentality in the face of "adversity" - overall just an awesome group of people. Bar none the most laid back job I've ever had. Benefits are really good for a run-of-the-mill company. Expect decent compensation. Work-Life balance was good.

Cons

Fundamental disorganization. Zero high level follow through on projects/initiatives which cripples incentive. Things get forgotten every 30 days. No operational standards. Numerous and large blind spots. Decades behind the curve in terms of technology and systems. Literally everything is done brute force (like buying space rather than optimizing inventory) and because of the foundationally flawed infrastructure & blind spots, large scale & expensive initiatives continue to fail epically. Sadly, not currently a place where elegant, intelligent ideas can come to fruition.

5. 2.0
    Former Employee

Meh

Oct 4, 2022 - Inventory Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Paid decently, decent Healthcare and holidays off

Cons

Management never knew what they were doing, favoritism, and bad management over all

6. 1.0

Nepotism and Ignorance

Sep 26, 2022 - Warehouse Operator
    Business Outlook

Pros

We have a terrible coffee machine. And we intentionally slow our work-pace because we'd run out of things to do if we ran full speed.

Cons

Severe favoritism, near-total lack of discipline, phobia of rational thought, borderline-provable racism.

1 person found this review helpful

Hawthorne Gardening Company Response

Thank you for sharing your review. We're sorry to hear your negative feedback. If you could please reach out to your HR partner or our HR Hotline 1-888-YOUR HR1 (1-888-968-7471), we would like to learn more. Thank you.

7. 5.0

Hawthorne

Sep 22, 2022 - Inventory Control Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

Over expanded, not closing some facilities

1 person found this review helpful
  8. 2.0

A Father's gift to his Son

Sep 11, 2022 - Research and Development Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Autonomy for setting your daily routine within reason. Exposure to emerging technologies and methods.

Cons

It doesn't appear any of management are intimately familiar with cannabis culture and seem insistent in a business model that gate-keeps access to equipment at a fair value. Any expression of being undervalued is met by gaslight and that the opportunity is once in a lifetime. You will be told of the "family dynamic" they foster as the "kids" starve at the dinner table

2 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good Company

Sep 5, 2022 - Sr. Electrical Engineer in Vancouver, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance is good

Cons

Company could be better organized.

10. 3.0

Great place to work!

Jul 31, 2022 - Outbound Lead
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great Benefits and Job Culture.

Cons

Toxic work environment and favoritism

11. 3.0
    Former Employee

Not too bad

Jul 13, 2022 - Inventory Control Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

A growing company that is experiencing issues with the growth ebbs and flows of the cannabis industry. Opportunities for growth at the high points of the market.

Cons

less opportunities during the ebbs.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 65 Reviews
</>Embed

Hawthorne Gardening Company Reviews FAQs

Hawthorne Gardening Company has an overall rating of 3.3 out of 5, based on over 70 reviews left anonymously by employees. 48% of employees would recommend working at Hawthorne Gardening Company to a friend and 31% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Hawthorne Gardening Company employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.9 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Hawthorne Gardening Company. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.

48% of Hawthorne Gardening Company employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Hawthorne Gardening Company 3.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.3 for culture and values and 3.0 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Hawthorne Gardening Company to be career development, coworkers, benefits and the cons to be diversity and inclusion, senior leadership, management.

Work at Hawthorne Gardening Company? Share Your Experiences

Hawthorne Gardening Company logo

Hawthorne Gardening Company Careers

Cover image for Hawthorne Gardening Company

Cultivating companies with a love for gardening as green as the gardens they grow. Hawthorne Gardening Co. is a house of brands that...More

• What We Believe
  • What You'll Get

Reviews by Job Title

Company Updates

1015 days ago

Health, Safety and Financial Wellness amid Coronavirus Our business is a key part of the supply chain for essential businesses and activities, from home centers and hardware stores to fresh food cultivation and the controlling of rodents and insects. During this time of uncertainty, it's important to know where companies stand before making a job or career change. We're dedicated to the safety of our candidates and associates. That's true whether you're looking for a part-time role to get through this tough season or want to make your next career move. Our coronavirus (COVID-19) response team monitors the impact daily. We have introduced premium pay as a temporary benefit and have taken steps to sanitize facilities and protect our frontline associates. We hope you're healthy and safe, and look forward to connecting with you.

1901 days ago

Our Vermicrop team recently held their 3rd annual VermiFest: Our festival for the community! The event is totally free, and attendees get a taste of the Vermi culture. We also show them crazy amounts of Vermi love. We recently held our third VermiFest celebration, and over 350 people from the community attended. It was amazing! This year, we had music, food trucks, candy, bounce houses, balloon animals, and games including limbo, giant Connect Four, corn hole and many other carnival games. We also had a Halloween costume contest, pumpkin decorating, free photos, and great raffle prizes. VermiFest means a lot to our associates and is a highlight of our team’s year. Throughout the event, our volunteers are making sure that our guests are having a great time. And after the event is over, we’re already anxious for the next one. Everyone feels more connected with the community because of VermiFest. Thank you to Vermicrop Director of Operations John Perrino and our Vermicrop associates who make this event possible!
Shared image

Hawthorne Gardening Company Photos

+ Add Photo
Hawthorne Gardening Company photo of: Our friends at Leafly spotted this relic of a backpack on the train in Seattle. Must be at least 5 years old. Anyone else have one of these?
Hawthorne Gardening Company photo of: Always a fun time at the GH headquarters
Hawthorne Gardening Company photo of: Zowee can't help but smile when looking at all that great GH product. Make sure to swing by Ecogarden Supply located at 800 Transfer Rd #3 St. Paul MN 55114
Hawthorne Gardening Company photo of: Zoe visiting Cerritos Hydroponics. Shoutout to Cody and Jack for holding it down.
Hawthorne Gardening Company photo of: We call this one- Focused Primal Rage
Hawthorne Gardening Company photo of: Our team had a great time at CannaCon Boston not too long ago. Thanks to everyone who stopped by the booth
Hawthorne Gardening Company photo of: Keep that CaMg+ in your sights during your next purchase.

Expert Career Advice

How to Negotiate Your Salary

A Guide to Negotiating the Salary You Deserve

How to Write a Resume

Write a Resume Recruiters Can't Resist

Glassdoor has 70 Hawthorne Gardening Company reviews submitted anonymously by Hawthorne Gardening Company employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if Hawthorne Gardening Company is right for you.