Hayneedle Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Jon Barker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Hayneedle values a work life balance, and they value their employees as people, not just numbers (in 12 reviews)

• The company is pretty laid back (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Customers (this is a call center environment) can be hard to deal with, just like any customer service position (in 6 reviews)

• Workforce seems to be the ones holding all the cards and don't communicate very well with upper management (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Hayneedle"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Hayneedle (More than a year)

Pros

Hayneedle has a great culture. It's a positive place to work. The company is growing and it's an exciting time to work there. In years to come, I think people will look back at Hayneedle and wish they would've joined the team at this pivotal time.

Cons

I think the positives outweigh the negatives. I'm looking forward to seeing what changes take place to the benefits in coming months.

2. "Great company with solid growth"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Hayneedle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hayneedle is a stable, yet growing company. They pride themselves on having a casual / non-corporate culture and providing a transparent work environment. Shorts and flip-flops are the norm during the summer and the executives hold town hall meetings monthly to allow for questions. Management has been engaged with broadening employee's skills and career pathing. Those who stick around and put in the work are rewarded.

It will be exciting to see how Hayneedle scales and collaborates with our sister companies / growing e-commerce family.

Cons

We'll be switching to Walmart's benefits next year, nice to find out if there are advantages.

3. "Marketing Assistant"

I worked at Hayneedle full-time

Pros

Liked working with my peers

Cons

Low pay but good benefits

Advice to Management

na

4. "Growing pains but great company."

Current Employee - Customer Care in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Customer Care in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Hayneedle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get your own desk. They host lots of fun activities such as 80's day, snack days, cookouts. Great people to work with. Supervisors are fantastic. I have never had a supervisor that worked with me on issues like this or that listened to our concerns.

Cons

Poor health care, There are a few bad apples in the management bunch that are highly unprofessional. They seem to play favorites and hold grudges. This company is currently going through lots of growing pains. Changes to the stats are great but are inaccurate and we have crap software to work with. You will need to bid for shifts every 3 months based on rankings. The rankings will be based on your stats yet the stats are not accurate at this time.

Advice to Management

Workforce needs better management and training. Their poor management trickles down throughout the call center. We need everyone to be on the same page. A lot of information is passed through word of mouth rather than communication from management or training. Sometimes leads or supervisors will give you different answers for the same basic question. That being said I do love this job. Management is frustrating at times and their mistakes are what make me give this position a lower rating.

5. "Laid back work place but needs to work on their communication skills."

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Hayneedle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love how casual and laid back the Hayneedle workplace is. Everyone pretty much gets along and the job itself is not difficult.

Cons

The lack of communication from the supervisors and other higher up employees is lacking. There is often confusion amongst teams. Seems like they are never on the same page. Also, the rules and the way we do things is often changing and it gets confusing. It's hard to be doing things one way for so long and then have to change our policies 2 times within a few months. Another thing is, they claim to hire and promote internally for the most part. They do not. I have been here just under a year and have applied for 3 different positions within the company just be told "Sorry. We have decided to hire externally for this position." My stats have always been above average so I know that I was qualified for every position I went for.

Advice to Management

Have more meetings or something. Get on the same level.

6. "Good people, but policies in need of change"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Omaha, NE

I worked at Hayneedle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people and management are very helpful and everyone generally helps each other out. Pay is pretty good for the work.

Cons

Policies are very strict. Many good and tenured employees were lost due to attendance issues and honest mistakes.

Customers (this is a call center environment) can be hard to deal with, just like any customer service position.

Shift bidding.

Advice to Management

Revisit attendance policy and other policy. Life happens and while the point system for attendance was pretty liberal in comparison with other companies, good employees were let go when they deserved a second chance. I would like to recommend your direct supervisors should have a little more say in this. Circumstances need to be considered. Also, shift bidding does not feel good to have to do every couple of months.

7. "So-so"

Current Employee - SCA in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - SCA in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Hayneedle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can work at home. Very casual dress code.

Cons

Low pay. To many new hires cuts the hours. No communication. Tower had all the power. HR lies about shifts. Was told after training I could change schedule and work mornings. Nope you have to bid. Popularity contest. No way to truly move up. They say you can but don't follow through. Their employee of the month?? A joke. Just another popularity contest. Corporate only cares about themselves.

Advice to Management

Be 100% honest. Really appreciate all employees. This pick one peta month is a joke. There is more than one person doing awesome things.

Hayneedle Response

Jul 5, 2017 – Customer Care Supervisor

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We can understand how having a morning shift is desirable and we strive to work with our team members to provide options that fit both... More

"Great Company - Avg Pay"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Hayneedle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Casual work environment, collaborative minds, and a positive buzz around the office. Summer Hours are a plus for corporate employees.

Cons

The only cons are the headaches that come with an acquisition. This will iron out as the company progresses and I am confident that it will succeed. The only bad part about the company is the pay. I have worked with the company for almost 3 years and they are notorious for increasing your workload without increasing your pay. They will word a "promotion" as positive, but in all reality it is just a transition into a new title (same responsibility) with a bump in pay that is now the "base salary" for all new incoming employees in that position.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what they are worth. Nothing is more frustrating than to feel as though you are not paid enough for the job you do. Take care of your current employees before focusing on hiring mass amounts of new people.

"Love Coming to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Hayneedle full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've worked at Hayneedle for about 8 years. I've held numerous positions within the company & have enjoyed every second of it. They make it a priority to train you & give you the skills you need to succeed & thrive in any area of the company if you have the interest. They care deeply about their employees & want to see them work their way up within the company. Our culture is open, honest & welcoming. Hayneedle values a work life balance, and they value their employees as people, not just numbers. The previous CEO made a point to know everyone's names & what everyone did. All the senior leadership are incredibly open & welcoming. 5 out of 6 of my most recent managers have been women.

Cons

There is no parental leave policy, and last I was told by HR, there was no plan to put one in place. (This may change now being owned by Walmart.) For young employees who want to have families, this is a big negative. The pay is a little on the low side.

Advice to Management

Implement a parental leave policy & tuition reimbursement. Keep valuing your employees & your culture.

10. "Love working for Hayneedle"

I have been working at Hayneedle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people and the culture are definitely the best things about working here, although the killer employee discount doesn't hurt. The 401K plan recently improved.

Cons

As the company grows, the corporate office space is getting more and more crowded. Health insurance isn't great, but they offer a Health Savings Account and they contribute something like $600 to it.