Hays Reviews in Bristol, England | Glassdoor

Hays CEO Alistair R. Cox
Alistair R. Cox

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The recruitment industry is long hours (in 329 reviews)

• Maintaining good work-life balance can be a bit challenging at times (in 89 reviews)

1. "Unrivalled career progression and reward if you are a top performer!"

Current Employee - Director in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Director in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

At Hays you have the ability to develop and progress at the pace you desire. If you are a high performer and are willing and able to push yourself to the your limits, you will be rewarded - both financially, through promotions and amazing incentives which range for token prizes to all expenses paid trips. You are responsible for your own business, therefore you get out what you put in! The training and support provided at all levels is world class.

Cons

A career in recruitment is challenging, you have to be motivated and have a positive mind set at all times which isn't for everyone

Aug 13, 2017

Thank you for your review!

2. "Offering new challenges"

I have been working at Hays full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the great things about working with Hays is that they will open the door for future opportunities for staff, who want to stay within the business whether this be moving to a different specialism within the same office, different office or perhaps abroad. The business will support your growth and progression and plans and ultimately leave it in your hands as to how successful you are.

Cons

At times, the business can be quite focused on activity numbers as opposed to the relationships that are being built as a result which eventually convert to revenue.

May 22, 2017 – Head of Internal Recruitment

You're right when you say we look at activity because we're a performance based business after all. I do think however that we manage our relationships with clients and candidates well too because... More

3. "Amazing training, support and structured career progression!"

I have been working at Hays full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Having come from a very different industry where there was minimal training and no career progression I wanted to work for a company where this was clearly structured and you would be support. The initial training is for-nominal and so structured to give you all the tools you would need to become an expert. However this doesn't stop, at every level as you work your way up there is structured training programmes in place. The career progression is endless and it's entirely down to your own performance in a meritocratic culture to get to where you want to be, you are in full control of your career but know you are supported by your managers, directors, colleagues and the business. Not only is there the financial aspect that rewarding but as a corporate business there are many national incentives along with regional and local incentives which makes it a work hard play hard fun culture.

Cons

People say that the cons are the long hours and yes they are but I don't see it as long hours as I enjoy my job.

Advice to Management

Continue in the development of your staff.

4. "Hays Review"

Current Employee - Intern in Bristol, England (UK)

Pros

Great place to work as an intern due to what the internship gives you exposure to do.
    No day is ever the same.
    Provide support if, and when needed.
    Wonderful culture and everyone is engaged.

Cons

Work life balance can be tricky, especially when having to perform university work as well as this job.
    There can be a sense of favouritism from time to time.

May 10, 2017 – Head of Internal Recruitment

Thank you for completing your glassdoor review. - I appreciate you taking the time and scoring us 5 / 5. I have to admit, I am concerned by your comments about favouritism and would like to speak to... More

5. "Senior Consultant"

I have been working at Hays full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment, supportive management and a fantastic team to work with. You get all the help you might need to do well.

Cons

Work-life balance is not great but that is recruitment for you. The stress can get to you but again, it is what you make it.

May 8, 2017 – Head of Internal Recruitment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on life in Hays Bristol, much appreciated and I will pass your review onto Simon and the team.

6. "Placement Year Review"

Current Employee - Intern in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays (Less than a year)

Pros

You are treated as any other member of staff so have full responsibilities.
    Managers/team members always take time out of their day to help you with issues.
    Good work ethic, everyone is motivated and driven which helps drive you to succeed
    Not heavily micromanaged so you are free to run your business as you wish which shows the high level of trust they place on there interns
    Most people in the office are of a similar age which means there are lots of social opportunities outside of work

Cons

Hours are long which does compromise work/life balance, however this is expected in this industry
    Pay is low for the amount of hours worked
    Believe interns should earn commission rather than bonus which could help with motivation to hit targets

Advice to Management

Can't really fault management, if I ever need anything they are always there to help and have been really supportive

May 8, 2017 – Head of Internal Recruitment

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on working at Hays. The intern programme is very important to us so I am glad you've enjoyed the year. All the best in your final year at... More

7. "Internship - Bristol Office"

I have been working at Hays full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- You are recognised for hard work and exceptional performance
    - No two days are the same and although the hours are long, the time goes very quickly
    - Great levels of responsibility afforded to you from the outset
    - Client visits and candidate interviews are great for improving interpersonal skills
    - Good social scene as lots of employees are of a similar age and mind-set
    - The training provided is fantastic and you can always ask for more should you need it
    - You're not treated as an intern, you're given the same treatment as a regular associate

Cons

- Interns should be allowed to make commission the same way an associate should, I really can't see why this isn't the case
    - Not much else, generally very positive

Advice to Management

My experience with management has been nothing but positive, if I've ever had to come to them with advice they have given me the time and helped agree a plan to move forward.

May 8, 2017 – Head of Internal Recruitment

Thank you very much! It's great to hear that you enjoyed your internship with Hays and we hope to see you back after your graduated and in a fee earning (commission based) role.

Good luck with... More

8. "Lovely place to work!"

Current Employee - Associate in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lovely place to work, I get fully supported in everything that I want to do. I always know where I stand and how well I am doing. My manager takes time out on a weekly basis to chat about how things are going. I am able to progress quickly here and know what steps need to be taken to achieve promotion.

Cons

Its longer hours than a standard 9 till 5- but that is the recruitment industry in general.

Advice to Management

Thank you for listening and taking feedback on board.

Apr 25, 2017 – Head of Internal Recruitment

And thank you for the positive review - it is always appreciated.

9. "18 months in, a UK transfer, a regional role and loving it!"

Current Employee - Internal Recruiter in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Internal Recruiter in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I feel very proud to say I work for Hays. Having ran a successful desk in the East of England I took the opportunity to transfer to the West of England and embark on the journey of Internal Recruitment. My role is very challenging and demanding but that's what I love. The overall satisfaction of seeing consultants that I've placed join the business, grow and become successful is very rewarding. Working for Hays is such a supportive and fun culture, the meritocracy environment allows me to develop myself and progress down to my own performance.

Cons

I wouldn't say there any cons for working at Hays. You make it your own, of course we are all supported in our roles but the challenge is taking on those tasks that will push you to the next level. It is down to your own performance to get to where you want to be.

Advice to Management

N/A

Mar 6, 2017 – Head of Internal Recruitment

It sounds like you're really enjoying your Hays story and it's great to hear - long may it continue!

10. "Recruitment Consultant"

I have been working at Hays full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Happy, motivating place to work.

Cons

There isn't anything bad to say.

Mar 6, 2017 – Head of Internal Recruitment

Thank you for your comments!

Showing 20 of 1,580 reviews