Hays Reviews in London, England | Glassdoor

Hays CEO Alistair R. Cox
Alistair R. Cox

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The recruitment industry is long hours (in 333 reviews)

• Maintaining good work-life balance can be a bit challenging at times (in 90 reviews)

1. "Director of Client Operations"

Current Employee - Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity for progression. Volume, breadth and variety of client base. Organisation structure. Culture and quality of hiring managers.

Cons

Competitive market place - difficult to match agility of smaller competitors.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote within & progress the career of high performers.

Oct 16, 2017

Thank you for your 5 star review and constructive advice

2. "intern"

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hays full-time (More than a year)

Pros

money, people, exposure, resources, training

Cons

hours, slow, benefits, disjointed, reputation

Oct 10, 2017

Thanks for your review

3. "Wonderful Employer, lots of opportunities"

Current Employee - Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/Life balance
    Excellent salary & benefits
    Plenty of training & development
    Lots of fun socials
    If you do not perform, you will be dismissed

Cons

No negatives working for Hays

Sep 27, 2017

Thank you for your review.

I wouldn't say we're as black and white as "if you do not perform you will be dismissed" - we have high expectations and we do hold people accountable but we want our... More

4. "Great place to work - loved it"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hays full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are amazing - have made life long friends here
    They give you responsibility from day one making you feel valued and a key part of the team
    The training is done in groups so you have a nice set of peers on the same level as you
    Clear progression structure
    The social aspect of amazing - be prepared to have a lot of fun, drink and company parties
    Great location

Cons

The hours are long - 8.30 -6pm
    The work gets repetitive but then again - what doesn't !!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing! I loved it and it's still the best place I have ever worked!

Sep 27, 2017

Thank you for your review. We're delighted to hear that you had a great time working at Hays and that even as a former employer you have positive things to say about us. Thanks for your comments and... More

5. "Internal Training"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays (Less than a year)

Pros

I recently attended an internal training course and I was very pleased with the quality of the content.

Because of their previous hands-on experience, all trainers had great understanding about our current challenges and difficulties, therefore not only it was quality content, it was relevant too.

As a whole, the training was very engaging and realistic towards implementing what we learnt in our daily workflows.

Cons

I would have liked to see a higher degree of tailored content towards the different modalities and specialisms at Hays as that would've only improved the quality of the course.

Advice to Management

I would recommend to include activities and/or seminars that focus on specialism-specific content.

Thank you for your review.

We pride ourselves on our world-class training and our trainers are very high quality and passionate about what they do.

6. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Credit Controller in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Credit Controller in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bonus scheme
    Social events
    Free food Fridays

Cons

Cannot recall any cons

Sep 17, 2017

7. "Great Start"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Environment and fantastic people to work with. Lots of training opportunities and great staff outings and incentives.

Cons

Long work hours mean living for the weekend.

Thanks for your review

8. "Brutal"

Current Contractor - Human Resources Professional in London, England (UK)
    Current Contractor - Human Resources Professional in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

none, none none none, none

Cons

Incompetent, unprofessional, immature, has no sense of any form of business acumen. consultants that I have dealt with not qualified to do their job

Advice to Management

liquidate

"I didn't expect that!"

Former Employee - Recruiter in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruiter in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hays full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I spent a long time at Hays. My initial career with the company was great - the training was good, I was fast tracked and I made decent money. There was a point in my time at Hays that I thought I'd never leave. I loved it.

Cons

As time progressed and I continued doing the same job (recruitment) every day, regardless of my additional responsibilities, I started to become bored. I was contacted by another company outside of recruitment and decided it was time to hang up my Hays boots and diversity my experience elsewhere. It was a difficult decision.

Resignations are rarely taken well but I certainly didn't expect to be treated like a leper and I am not trying to be dramatic when I say that.

My access to documents was removed almost instantly, my team was redirected to other managers and I was shunned by all senior management including Board level. My MD stopped speaking to me, people openly mocked my decision in front of me and I was made to feel like a complete outsider.

As you can imagine, this made my last weeks really difficult and all I have taken away from my time at Hays is how much they lack loyalty to their staff, past or present. You're told to end on a good note, to leave with a good performance on the board and never burn the bridge. Meanwhile, Hays will burn the bridge without a second thought and your name will forever be on the naughty list.

Advice to Management

You demand respect from your staff and perhaps you would get it if you treated us with some respect. I made a lot of sacrifices during my time at Hays and on leaving I didn't get so much as a thank you.

Thank you for your review.

We take your feedback seriously and would like to explore this with you further. Could you please get in touch with Trisha Brookes, our Head of Human Resources, for a... More

10. "There's more to life than 'life at Hays'"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hays full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training is very good and all the competition know this! You can learn a lot and fast track your career if you are able to play the game and dedicate yourself at the start.

Cons

I played the game and I reaped the benefits, however once it was time for my next challenge (outside of Hays) I was blacklisted, blanked and deemed the traitor. Being an ambitious person (A Hays brand value) I naturally wanted to progress fast – a challenge was presented to me outside of the business and I took it. I should add that due to the fact I enjoyed my job at Hays, this wasn’t an easy decision to make. Nevertheless, I resigned and with almost immediate effect the atmosphere changed. When you have exceeded targets and helped a business grow, the least you would expect when you leave is a goodbye…. But no, this was not the case. I’m not angry or negative towards Hays, I just hope they can address this issue so that not everyone who leaves the business leaves with a bitter taste and wants to bad mouth what could still be a great company.

Advice to Management

Not everyone is a ‘Hays for life’ but you need to remember the hard work, dedication and respect people have for your business when they work for you. People move on and want to do better for themselves, this is business. My biggest recommendation for management would be to bear in mind that there is more to life than ‘life at Hays’.

Thank you for your review.

Could you please get in touch with Trisha Brookes, our Head of Human Resources, on... More

Showing 296 of 1,620 reviews