Hays Reviews in London, England | Glassdoor

Hays CEO Alistair R. Cox
Alistair R. Cox

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The recruitment industry is long hours (in 332 reviews)

• Maintaining good work-life balance can be a bit challenging at times (in 89 reviews)

1. "Great Start"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Environment and fantastic people to work with. Lots of training opportunities and great staff outings and incentives.

Cons

Long work hours mean living for the weekend.

Thanks for your review

2. "There's more to life than 'life at Hays'"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hays full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training is very good and all the competition know this! You can learn a lot and fast track your career if you are able to play the game and dedicate yourself at the start.

Cons

I played the game and I reaped the benefits, however once it was time for my next challenge (outside of Hays) I was blacklisted, blanked and deemed the traitor. Being an ambitious person (A Hays brand value) I naturally wanted to progress fast – a challenge was presented to me outside of the business and I took it. I should add that due to the fact I enjoyed my job at Hays, this wasn’t an easy decision to make. Nevertheless, I resigned and with almost immediate effect the atmosphere changed. When you have exceeded targets and helped a business grow, the least you would expect when you leave is a goodbye…. But no, this was not the case. I’m not angry or negative towards Hays, I just hope they can address this issue so that not everyone who leaves the business leaves with a bitter taste and wants to bad mouth what could still be a great company.

Advice to Management

Not everyone is a ‘Hays for life’ but you need to remember the hard work, dedication and respect people have for your business when they work for you. People move on and want to do better for themselves, this is business. My biggest recommendation for management would be to bear in mind that there is more to life than ‘life at Hays’.

Thank you for your review.

We take your feedback seriously and would like to explore this with you further. Could you please get in touch with Trisha Brookes, our Head of Human Resources, for a... More

"I didn't expect that!"

Former Employee - Recruiter in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruiter in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hays full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I spent a long time at Hays. My initial career with the company was great - the training was good, I was fast tracked and I made decent money. There was a point in my time at Hays that I thought I'd never leave. I loved it.

Cons

As time progressed and I continued doing the same job (recruitment) every day, regardless of my additional responsibilities, I started to become bored. I was contacted by another company outside of recruitment and decided it was time to hang up my Hays boots and diversity my experience elsewhere. It was a difficult decision.

Resignations are rarely taken well but I certainly didn't expect to be treated like a leper and I am not trying to be dramatic when I say that.

My access to documents was removed almost instantly, my team was redirected to other managers and I was shunned by all senior management including Board level. My MD stopped speaking to me, people openly mocked my decision in front of me and I was made to feel like a complete outsider.

As you can imagine, this made my last weeks really difficult and all I have taken away from my time at Hays is how much they lack loyalty to their staff, past or present. You're told to end on a good note, to leave with a good performance on the board and never burn the bridge. Meanwhile, Hays will burn the bridge without a second thought and your name will forever be on the naughty list.

Advice to Management

You demand respect from your staff and perhaps you would get it if you treated us with some respect. I made a lot of sacrifices during my time at Hays and on leaving I didn't get so much as a thank you.

Thank you for your review.

4. "Wonderful Employer, lots of opportunities"

Current Employee - Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/Life balance
    Excellent salary & benefits
    Plenty of training & development
    Lots of fun socials
    If you do not perform, you will be dismissed

Cons

No negatives working for Hays

5. "Great place to work - loved it"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hays full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are amazing - have made life long friends here
    They give you responsibility from day one making you feel valued and a key part of the team
    The training is done in groups so you have a nice set of peers on the same level as you
    Clear progression structure
    The social aspect of amazing - be prepared to have a lot of fun, drink and company parties
    Great location

Cons

The hours are long - 8.30 -6pm
    The work gets repetitive but then again - what doesn't !!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing! I loved it and it's still the best place I have ever worked!

6. "Internal Training"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays (Less than a year)

Pros

I recently attended an internal training course and I was very pleased with the quality of the content.

Because of their previous hands-on experience, all trainers had great understanding about our current challenges and difficulties, therefore not only it was quality content, it was relevant too.

As a whole, the training was very engaging and realistic towards implementing what we learnt in our daily workflows.

Cons

I would have liked to see a higher degree of tailored content towards the different modalities and specialisms at Hays as that would've only improved the quality of the course.

Advice to Management

I would recommend to include activities and/or seminars that focus on specialism-specific content.

Thank you for your review.

We pride ourselves on our world-class training and our trainers are very high quality and passionate about what they do.

"Do NOT join if you can recruit"

Current Employee - Business Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Can't think of any significant pros - Maybe a god central London office

Cons

The worst commission scheme in the industry

They a management team with an average age of 22 years old - Who are all clueless and forced to take senior roles on that are way beyond them.

Useless career prospects

No chance of earning superb money - No matter how great you are

Advice to Management

Get with the times

Offer basic salaries in line with the industry

Offer a commission scheme in line with the industry

Stop employing grads and start to hire experienced people

Seriously look at the management you have - Especially in areas outside of London - The regional offices don't seem to have a clue

Sep 17, 2017

Thank you for your review.

I'm disappointed that you feel disengaged with the business and the management team at Hays but there must be something that keeps you working for us so hopefully that... More

8. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Credit Controller in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Credit Controller in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bonus scheme
    Social events
    Free food Fridays

Cons

Cannot recall any cons

Sep 17, 2017

9. "Recruitment Consultancy"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic training and career progression. Training is through, well structured and useful.

Cons

Yet to come across them!

Aug 29, 2017

10. "Career in outsourced recruitment services"

Current Employee - Global Solutions Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Global Solutions Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Forward thinking and extensive network of experienced colleagues to work with
    Focused on growing and developing our service offerings
    Supportive in people development
    UK and International opportunities for career development
    Strong focus on customer and candidate experience

Cons

As a service provider our hours are long (so we can support our clients when they need us), so the commitment to your career must be strong - there are easier places to work, but not sure they are as rewarding

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in people and technology and review the flexibility to enable a better work / life balance

Aug 20, 2017