Hays Reviews in London, UK | Glassdoor

Hays CEO Alistair R. Cox
Alistair R. Cox

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours can be a struggle but the rewards are great (in 325 reviews)

• Maintaining good work-life balance can be a bit challenging at times (in 88 reviews)

1. "Review of Hays from the perspective of an Associate Recruiter"

Current Freelancer - Associate Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Freelancer - Associate Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays (Less than a year)

Pros

From the initial telephone interview I have found Hays to live up to the expectations that I had set. As the number one recruiter in the UK I was worried that I may go "missing" in what is a large company. However, I feel that the training, support, advice , guidance and coaching supplied by the company, and my colleagues have literally been the best I have had, which is significant praise having previously worked as an Assistant Headteacher.

The culture of the company resonates in everything that it does, from the support and training to the benefits and rewards available to those who work hard.

Cons

From my perspective, I have yet to see something I would consider a negative.

2. "Recruitment Consultancy"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic training and career progression. Training is through, well structured and useful.

Cons

Yet to come across them!

3. "Great team and support given at all levels"

Current Employee - Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hays has given me training throughout my whole career and the opportunity to develop as an individual. The people are fantastic and will support you through the tough times.

Cons

As with all jobs in recruitment you have to work hard to achieve success

Advice to Management

Keep supporting and training

Aug 6, 2017

Thanks for your 5 star review!

4. "Career in outsourced recruitment services"

Current Employee - Global Solutions Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Global Solutions Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Forward thinking and extensive network of experienced colleagues to work with
    Focused on growing and developing our service offerings
    Supportive in people development
    UK and International opportunities for career development
    Strong focus on customer and candidate experience

Cons

As a service provider our hours are long (so we can support our clients when they need us), so the commitment to your career must be strong - there are easier places to work, but not sure they are as rewarding

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in people and technology and review the flexibility to enable a better work / life balance

Aug 20, 2017

Thanks for your review

5. "Personally..."

Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Experience, Management, People, Expertise, Innovation

Cons

Limited progression for non fee earners

6. "Money, Money, Money"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in City of London, England (UK)
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in City of London, England (UK)

I worked at Hays as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Hays has an extremely high performance, meritocratic environment. If you are committed to making money and want to progress within the business Hays will support you along the way. You are in charge of how much you earn, that's the beauty of commission.

Hays is also very transparent. Directors will sit with recruitment consultants and their is very minimal hierarchy.

Cons

Not really a con, more of a reality, as a recruitment consultant you are expected to make the business money. If you don't like working under pressure and with competition then recruitment isn't for you.

7. "The best"

Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

An abundance of experts.
    Great support.
    Development opportunities.
    Strong leadership.
    Great benefits.

Cons

Literally nothing to put here.

Jul 9, 2017

Thank you for your 5 star review!

8. "Great place to work if you like a challenge."

Current Employee - Credit Manager in New Malden, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Credit Manager in New Malden, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are always opportunities to progress for those that have the ambition and drive to want to progress.

The senior management team will put trust in their workforce if they demonstrate that they have the desire and the talent to take on additional responsibilities.

Cons

The business operates in a very challenging marketplace which can be impacted by political and economic uncertainty. Fortunately the business is robust enough and has the expertise to operate within this environment.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your workforce and trust them to deliver results.

9. "Positive, but not for everyone"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hays is a good company to work for. The support and training they provide is outstanding and really contributes towards your personal development. Their database, and candidate reach is miles ahead of the competition.

Cons

Unless you are billings well the pay isn't the greatest. It's a little too KPI driven which can lead to consultants logging fake activities, I have seen a lot of consultants leave due to high pressure environment - it's really not for everyone. Questionable motivation techniques..

Jul 22, 2017

Thanks for your review.

The harder you work the more you earn and commission is uncapped and as a result we do have high expectations around KPIs.

"Just Because they are the biggest, does not mean they are the best! Worst company EVER."

Former Employee - Senior International Headhunter in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior International Headhunter in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hays full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The office was pretty nice, in a good location...

Cons

I was only at the Hays for 2 months, straight after finishing university. This was a terrible experience, which felt a lot longer than the 2 months. The atmosphere in the office was awful (terribly Corporate), with 'Senior' consultants looking down on the new people and not letting them feel involved or accepted (having to earn respect - this should not be the case!) Also, as a new recruitment consultant, I was unaware of a good or bad commission structure. However, after being in the business for over 3 years now, it is clear that Hay's are getting away with murder. The commission structure is abysmal. Also, all consultants are competing with each other to fill the same roles - which means it is less likely to fill the position yourself. In my current role, there are no caps or thresholds with commission ranging from 10% to 25% of your billing. After receiving proper training and guidance, I have now opened a whole new sector for the company, having full responsibility for all clients - and after less than 3 years, are now the number 1 biller in the company. This would not have been possible at Hays.
    The 'world class' training at Hays was average at best, feeling more like a school classroom and not getting a full understanding of the full recruitment life.
    To sum up, it is no surprise that all the 'Associates' who joined at the same time as me, have all left the company. If you are thinking about getting into recruitment, DO NOT go to Hays. Choose a smaller, niche, company that will provide you more freedom, better one to one training, and ultimately you will earn a lot more money.

Aug 20, 2017

I'm sorry to hear you had such a negative experience in the short time you were with us. As you'll see from the other reviews on here it's not the common experience but I'm disappointed that this was... More

Showing 317 of 1,533 reviews