Hays plc Reviews in Bristol, England | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hays plc CEO Alistair R. Cox
Alistair R. Cox

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours can be a struggle but the rewards are great (in 289 reviews)

• Work/life balance is sometimes questionable (in 71 reviews)

1. "Lovely company!"

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- the people
    - the team environment
    - the support through the training, whether this be the training programme or just needing help
    - money
    - the actual job has a lot of variation so you are never stuck doing the same thing
    - career opportunities with the company

Cons

- the online training is a bit boring, some of it is necessary, but a lot of it could be cut down
    - learning on the job is great and I see the benefit, but it does make it hard

Advice to Management

The management I have received has been really good. I like that they do not do all the training so that we can see how other people do things. For example, it is good to do business development training with the person the company has recognised as being really good at that. My manager has been a great support and seems to have time for me. I have not felt like a burden or like I am keeping on. She completely gets that I need help and constantly tells me I am good enough. She also seems to know what I need before I do, I tend to ask a question and she says 'I thought so, you have training in that today'. She has gone through my day plan at the start and end of each day so I do know what I am doing and how I have done. She has set realistic targets for me so that I feel like I have achieved a lot.

Feb 8, 2017 – Head of Internal Recruitment

5 starts from the Bristol office, thank you very much. Noted you find the online training a little dull. We offer 3 different learning styles to suit everyone as a collective unity. I imagine you ... More

2. "Good career if you're good at sales!"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at Hays plc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great progression, your career is mapped out from the moment you start
    Good commission structure, a lot of money can be made!
    Good social scene

Cons

Can feel a bit intense at times, very sales focussed and target driven. Can also feel like a bit of a cult at times!

Advice to Management

Accept that recruitment isn't black and white, and different specialisms should have different approaches. Also need to accept it's a lot easier to make money in some specialisms so targets should be adjusted accordingly.

"Good company"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at Hays plc full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good company great staff good atmosphere good events reasonable packages flexible benefits chances for progression

Cons

Constant changes in direction hire and fire attitude too many grads with no experience

Advice to Management

Make your minds up about what you want do you want people to stay in their jobs and develop relationships to enable long term business

Nov 2, 2016 – Head of Internal Recruitment

Hi. I'm slightly confused by your comments. In pros you talk about a good company, good atmosphere, etc yet in your cons you comment on a 'hire and fire' attitude which would give one the impression ... More

5. "Hays"

Current Employee - Business Director in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Director in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

High performance culture embedded in the office.

Cons

Nothing to mention at the moment

6. "Recruitment Consultant"

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The support and the people.

Cons

I cannot think of a single downside to working for Hays.

Oct 4, 2016 – Head of Internal Recruitment

Not a single downside? Wow! Excellent news! Thank you Bristol, your review is very much appreciated.

7. "The best recruitment company in which to grow your recruitment career"

Current Employee - Associate Trainer in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate Trainer in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent training and development whether that is classroom based or 1-to-1 with your manager to ensure that you have the right tools and opportunities to be the 'go to recruiter' in the market. There are a raft of incentives whether that is trips abroad for top billers, dinners for high-performing consultants and the opportunity to grow your career rapidly. You can progress from an Associate Consultant (entry level position) up to a Senior Consultant within 18 months and every promotion is based on your merit not how long you have been here

Cons

Work life balance can sometimes be challenging but the more you put in the more successful you will be and the more you will earn. This therefore may be seen as a negative but actually can be a positive!

Advice to Management

Continue developing and growing your people so that their talent is nurtured and they can be the best recruiter possible.

Oct 3, 2016 – Head of Internal Recruitment

Appreciate your comments so thanks for taking the time to complete your review.

8. "Fantastic company to work for until it goes bad."

Current Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a real effort to make everyone succeed and drive forwards and this comes from the very top. Also the training and development is very good with a clear pathway to success and promotions. This provides a great working atmosphere with everyone out to improve and assist each other to make the office as successful as possible.

Cons

Nothing you ever do feels like enough ie if you hit a PB in something that then becomes the accepted norm rather than an exception to the standard and although you do get rewarded for your successes I feel like there could be more when you've done well not just the best you've ever done.

Advice to Management

I feel like personal situations are not always counted against performance within the workplace and that PBs are not supposed to be consistently broken.

Oct 4, 2016 – Head of Internal Recruitment

Thanks for your review. We openly admit we are a high performance business and I am sure you've heard many of us saying "you're only as good as your last month" which is why we're always encouraging ... More

9. "Fantastic company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hays is such a rewarding company to work for, I have been lucky enough to relocate and the transition within Hays was smooth, hassle free and exciting. Hays truly delivers on the opportunities offered with progression along with the fun, thrilling and exciting atmosphere to be part of. There are so many opportunities within the offices, the regions, nationally and international, they are literally endless! You are certainly well looked after from a cultural point of view as well as amazing incentives and rewards.

Cons

With my experience so far I would not say there are any cons to Hays, you put in what you get out and that is shown across the company. I am so proud to work for Hays and represent the company on a regional level.

Sep 15, 2016 – Head of Internal Recruitment

How great! Thank you for taking the time to complete a review - it's fantastic to hear you're enjoying your career with us. Good luck with your relocation and enjoy it!

10. "Hays Review"

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic employee incentives and rewards.
    The people.
    Fun place to work.
    Great training for new starters.

Cons

The working hours are quite long.
    The job is not without it's stresses.
    There could be more sporting/active schemes or teams.

Advice to Management

Continue the great work and continue making Hays a great place to work. The training schemes are great but I would like the opportunity to do more lunch and learns.

Aug 30, 2016 – Head of Internal Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback. I have made the Head of Training aware of your request for additional lunch and learns and I know he will implement more if the Training team have capacity.

11. "Loving it!"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Bristol, England (UK)

Pros

You are fully supported the whole way through the process. I have only been here one month after taking a complete change of career from Beauty and feel that the training so far has been brilliant. I am really excited to learn more and develop my desk. Everyone in the whole office and my team are so driven, hard-working but really nice and friendly also. Which makes a huge difference in a role! Bring on the uncapped commission! :)

Cons

None what so ever

Advice to Management

Thank you for the opportunity!

Showing 14 of 1,285 reviews