Hays plc Reviews in Cambridge, East of England, England | Glassdoor

Hays plc Cambridge Reviews

Updated May 2, 2017

Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hays plc CEO Alistair R. Cox
Alistair R. Cox

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours can be a struggle but the rewards are great (in 324 reviews)

• Maintaining good work-life balance can be a bit challenging at times (in 83 reviews)

1. "Great Company with excellent career prospects"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Pros

Rewarding career where they really invest in you as a person. Everyone wants you to do well and there is a great team camaraderie in the offices and across the regions. You feel part of the success of the company and you are supported fully. You are treated the same regardless of your job title. Excellent career prospects and training so you are always learning.

Cons

Long hours however if you put in the work you will reap the rewards. You need to manage your time wisely, strong time management skills are required.

Advice to Management

Reduce the working hours by 30 mins a day (instead of 6pm finish, finish at 5.30pm) and you will ensure your staff have work-life balance, those that need to stay will stay late to the job done, this will increase staff retention. Allow flexible working for those that have far to travel. Location weighting allowance to be paid for those cities where housing prices are expensive.

May 8, 2017 – Head of Internal Recruitment

Appreciate your comments from Cambridge. Noted your comments about hours and you should have access to the flexible working request forms on the intranet if you'd like to submit one.

"Good place to start out, but not to progress."

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Hays plc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The initial training on offer really is very good quality, and the KPI-driven management style does give you a very good handle on the metrics of how to run a recruitment desk right from the start. There are also a lot of great people at ground-level in the business and I've genuinely enjoyed working with a lot of the people I've encountered.

Cons

The work/life balance can be brutal. Actually working your contacted hours without putting in any (unpaid) overtime is frowned upon, as is actually taking your (also unpaid) lunch break. It's often a pretty emotionally taxing job too so the long days are also hard days. The stock response to raising these concerns is that you're not driven or ambitious enough.

I would also not recommend Hays as a place to truly develop a career. Managers are promoted almost entirely on fee performance rather than management ability, so don't look here for real people-managers who'll develop you as a consultant. You can progress if you want to, but only by parroting senior management and doing things the way they've always been done. Any suggestion of doing things differently will get nowhere.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge that the best salespeople rarely make the best managers, and look at how different people will add value in different ways which may not necessarily be quantifiable in £'s. You're losing a scary number of good people by fixating on what you can measure with KPI's and ignoring everything else. KPI-based transactional management is a fail-safe but lazy method that pretty much anyone can perform regardless of their actual aptitude for leadership, which is necessary because you're putting sales animals in leadership roles that they are by nature highly unsuited to. If you put people who could actually manage in these roles, KPI management wouldn't be necessary because you'd have people in the business who could do it properly. As other businesses in this sector are rapidly acknowledging that KPI management is no longer relevant, this is inevitably going to cause increasing retention problems.

The work/life balance attitude is also self-destructive. The irony is that in a commission-driven business most people would voluntarily put this effort in when they actually needed to without being forced, but the effect of this expectation of constant 'above and beyond' working hours is demoralising and unproductive.

Might also be worth bearing in mind the possibility that you (as a business) could actually be wrong occasionally. A perfect example is the fact that when leaving after nearly 4 years with the business I didn't even have an exit interview. The fact that you care so little about the opinion of one of the longest serving non-managers in the area goes to show how little you value any opinion other than your own.

Mar 6, 2017 – Head of Internal Recruitment

I take the comments made in your review very seriously and would like to respond. 1. Thank you for your complement regarding the training you had at Hays and the friendships you made. We're very ... More

3. "Excellent opportunities, drive your own career path"

I have been working at Hays plc full-time

Pros

Good reward structure and training. Most offices come together to celebrate success and people are generally willing to help you / share information. The brand brings in some good business and for the most part once you have earned your stripes you are able to run your desk in the manner you find most appropriate.

Significant amount of opportunity to progress your career and grow your responsibility's / earnings with promotions and internal moves determined by your own personal appetite, effort and success.

Cons

The hours can be long at times
    Quite a formal structure - little flexibility on working hours and dress code

Feb 13, 2017 – Head of Internal Recruitment

Five stars from Cambridge, thank you very much!! A note that there are options for flexible working hours and you can find these details on the intranet.

"Worst company ever to work for!"

Former Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Pros

Training is very good and they give you ownership of your desk. You build your targets with the managers.

Cons

Everything! From the management that only care about KPI's to the colleagues that only care about booze and talk bad things about the others as soon as they turn their back. Horrible place to work! Really long hours and pressure to the top!

Advice to Management

Motivate the employees. Try to put some tought on why you have such a high turnover

Feb 20, 2017 – Head of Internal Recruitment

I appreciate you feel disgruntled by your exit from the business however I would appreciate your comments having some fact or example to support a 1 star review. You can reach me on 0203 465 0202 if ... More

5. "Fun and Challenging"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My mentor is very useful and has taught me a lot throughout my time here. The team is very helpful when asking new questions.

Cons

went on a training course in London, however did not receive any feedback and asking several different people several times.

6. "First month at Hays"

Current Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Welcomed into a very strong team and offered plenty of support, given a chance to get involved straight away and management have been brilliant

Cons

Slightly longer hours compared to previous roles.

7. "A BRILLIANT company to work for"

Pros

I have been at Hays for (3 months) it is a brilliant company to work for!

Cons

There have been no cons since my start date.

8. "Three months with Hays"

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Prior to joining Hays I was aware of their reputation as a great company to work for, however they have far exceeded my expectations.. I've found Hays to be an extremely professional yet supportive culture. The quantity and quality of training I've received is fantastic, this includes on the job, class room training and two weeks of group training. All my colleagues have been very supportive and the incentives for both individual and group achievement seem to be never ending.

Cons

The only negative I can think of is the starting salary. The associate level salary is well below the average living costs for anyone who has rent/mortgage, car, etc to pay for. The targets to earn bonus are achievable but as with any Sales/Performance based role you can never be 100% sure of what the next month will hold, regardless of your skill.

Advice to Management

None

9. "Hays Review"

I have been working at Hays plc full-time

Pros

Consultants are encouraged to run their desk as their own business which gives recruiters the chance to take ownership of their work flow, KPI's, effort and most importantly their commission. This job proves that the more you put, in the more you get out.

Training is second to none. A nine month programme is in place for Associates to complete before being promoted – this training programme does not prevent associates from earning well via commission. If anything, the good habits and text-book ways can ensure quick turnaround placements and fees.

The management style in my team is encouraging and at times completely selfless. Efforts are made to make sure that hard work is always recognised and rewarded.

Cons

Long work hours (which is to be expected in recruitment.) On average, the working day is 08:00 - 18:00.

No parking on site complemented by terrible city traffic (the latter is obviously no fault of Hays.)

Advice to Management

More onsite parking - closest free parking is just over a mile away.

Dec 7, 2015 – Head of Internal Recruitment

Many thanks for your review on our Cambridge office. I have passed your comments and advice onto the Regional Managing Director.

"All about money and not about people"

I worked at Hays plc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Potential to earn good money.
    The three offices I worked in we're all lovely spaces.
    I got on well with my colleagues.

Cons

Long Hours - Rubbish basic - I dared to ask questions and have an opinion, this was not received well - Senior management can be bully's, I protected several members of staff when I worked there - Ridiculous levels of micro management - Don't expect to be an individual at Hays, you have to be a robot.

Advice to Management

A lot of Senior Management came from uni to Hays so have never worked anywhere else. A lot of things they deem to be normal are not normal in any other company.
    A good recruiter doesn't always make a good manager. People management is a specific skill, not everyone has this.
    Stop micro-managing. Let people breathe. Client rapport is built through personality and skill. Allow people to be themselves, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Nov 12, 2015 – Head of Internal Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed to hear you do not recommend Hays however value your feedback and will be speaking to the Regional Managing Director to address your concerns and ... More

Showing 12 of 1,464 reviews