Hays plc Reviews in Leicester, England | Glassdoor

Hays plc CEO Alistair R. Cox
Alistair R. Cox

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours can be a struggle but the rewards are great (in 325 reviews)

• Maintaining good work-life balance can be a bit challenging at times (in 85 reviews)

1. "Still Loving HAYS"

Current Employee - Senior Compliance Specialist in Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Compliance Specialist in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have worked for Hays for over 7 years and recently returned to the HTS business in Leicester are and I am very proud to say that I have come home.

HTS is a global operation and you have opportunities to interact with colleagues from other countries and be involved in various projects, some of these tap into your proven experience and some of these take you out of your comfort zone and challenge you in the most positive of ways.

Targets in HTS will challenge you and are naturally increased when these are consistently achieved, I welcome this as this gives me a sense of achieving the goals of the Talent Solutions business along with challenge myself personally. I have also had the opportunity to set myself some objectives for the first quarter at my end of year review with my line manager.

We have a wrap up at the end of period to celebrate our success in Leicester, I find this information useful. Some people receive a bottle of wine and we have a draw to win a bigger value prize for achieving or exceeding targets. The head of Leicester even puts on some drinks for us which I feel is a really nice gesture and something I have not experienced in other business I have had the pleasure in working for in the past.

Every six months there are promotions and these are all based around performance and going that extra mile to achieve the goals of the business and these are very well deserved.

Our hours have recently changed too which means I get an hour back every day and I very rarely need to stay late. If I do this is of my own free will because I take pride in my work.

There are so many more positives to HTS but I am very aware that you get out what you put in. Work hard, drive success and you will be rewarded.

Cons

I don't have any cons about the HTS business, I just love what we and I do here.

Advice to Management

Please keep challenging me, please keep me on my toes with objectives, please allow me to help the business grow.

Jul 16, 2017

"Underpaid, Overworked, Favouritism Culture"

Current Employee - Sourcing Specialist in Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sourcing Specialist in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Quite a few non-financial rewards available but often go to a chosen few
    Can quickly learn the basics to recruitment here

Cons

Commission structures regularly change and always manages to mean you walk out with less.
    Favouritism culture is huge, if you're not one of them you'll soon know about it.
    Pressure to come back early from sickness (happened to a colleague).
    Recently reduced hours to prevent giving bottom level staff a pay rise when NMWT went up.
    Targets raised around the time hours were reduced.
    False promises with career paths leaving prospects non-existent.
    Middle management often break promises and share personal information with work friends.

Advice to Management

Remember that your staff help the company acheive its' goals and reward them fairly.
    There is something fundamentally wrong when the staff turnover has doubled recently
    Senior Managers need to take a serious look at the managers below them to see how they treat 'non favourites'
    Stop pretending a bottle of wine for a select few is enough to keep underpaid staff happy

Jun 29, 2017 – Head of Internal Recruitment

I would like to thank you for taking the team to feedback to us on how you feel your experience is going at the Leicester CoE. While I am clearly disappointed in how you currently view a number of... More

3. "Great start to hopefully a long career"

Current Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time

Pros

Great colleagues, Lots of training, No end of support, Lots of Career Opportunites

Cons

No company navigation systems for getting to meetings so keep using all of my phone internet on the satnav

Apr 25, 2017 – Head of Internal Recruitment

Hi and thanks for your comments. Can I ask if you have raised your 'con' with your business? I can completely appreciate the frustration and you may find one of your directors has a sat nav in their... More

4. "Rewarding"

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People focused culture, learning and development, rewarding commission structure, Good progression

Cons

Long hours, salary without commission is poor

5. "My opinion of Hays - Midlands office"

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great education, training, support, office moral, services. Everyone is actively helpful and act in the best interest of everyone even if it does not directly benefit them. I have been made to feel welcome despite coming from a different country and having worked in a different recruitment sector. I can see a long term career building with this company and look forward to making a name for myself and giving back all that I have already received.

Cons

Some consultants over work to ensure they hit their targets. The level of IT knowledge is slightly lower across the office than I initially expected and not everyone is using OneTouch as well as they could be to benefit their own desk, as well as others in their sector.

Advice to Management

Have a new starters check list that the consultant can go from number 1 right through to the end to ensure they have covered all bases and not missed anything.

Oct 5, 2016 – Head of Internal Recruitment

Thanks for your comments from the Midlands. We do have a check list for new starters and consultants and if you speak to your internal recruitment team or the training team they will be able to share... More

6. "Excellent!!!"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Top notch training and leadership throughout the company. They really value progression and reward hard work. Client base is excellent and the core values of the company are second to none.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any cons of working at the company. Essentially, your desk is in your own hands, so it is what you put in which results in what you get out of working here.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. All the incentives are amazing and they really do drive more business. Motivation is key in this industry so keep this up as you do it very well already.

Sep 26, 2016 – Head of Internal Recruitment

Thank you Leicester - I really appreciate your positive comments. All the best.

7. "Associate Recruitment Consultant"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Leicester, England (UK)

Pros

- Challenging work right from the start
    - Training throughout work
    - Freedom of managing your own desk and organising your day
    - Great management and advice

Cons

No cheap parking, however understandable considering office is in city centre

Aug 10, 2016 – Head of Internal Recruitment

Thanks for your review from Leicester. Appreciate parking is not cheap but there is a subsidised parking area for Hays staff that may be of interest to you. I'd suggest speaking to the comms & bens... More

8. "Project manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Leicester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Leicester, England (UK)

Pros

Hays was(at the time) the world's largest specialist recruitment organisation and as a result offered lots of opportunities and massive resources

Cons

Being large meant that one didn't often get the opportunity to try different things; there was also quite an aggressive management style, and a short term vision rater than a speculate to accumulate one.

Advice to Management

To value staff more as people rather than just commodities and to support a more long term view of success and personal development

Jul 25, 2016 – Head of Internal Recruitment

Thank you for your review from Leicester. I appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback and have passed your comments onto the Leicester Management team. Thank you, Jenna Alexander

9. "Hays Talent Solutions Review"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great development for staff
    Excellent training available
    Engagement between senior management and employees
    Informative intranet
    Opportunities for internal mobility
    Great office environment to work in

Cons

Limited amount of car parking within the building and close by is quite expensive
    Long Hours for full time staff

Advice to Management

Better rewards and compensation for non "sales" staff would be good, a lot of the incentives don't include everyone

Jul 1, 2016 – Head of Internal Recruitment

I hear you Executive Assistant in Leicester and the UK&I Board is aware of your thoughts around compensation for non sales staff. Naturally, as we are a recruitment business and operate in a... More

10. "Very good place to work"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Leicester, England (UK)

Pros

Great potential to build a career. Hays really look after their own and develop people to their full potential.

Cons

Tough to progress above team leader/management levels, but appreciate the size of step to director/client management takes time. More opportunity with more accounts we win.

Showing 35 of 1,494 reviews