Hazen and Sawyer Assistant Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Assistant Engineer

5.0
Charles S. Hocking

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Unlike many "big box" engineering firms offering a world of services, Hazen has specialized in water and wastewater since 1951 (in 5 reviews)

• Very supportive work environment that fosters professional growth, refinement of existing skill set, and development of new skill sets (in 8 reviews)

Cons

1. "Wonderful Place to Work"

Current Employee - Assistant Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Engineer in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Upward Mobility, Friendly and Helpful Peers and Superiors, Challenges build with experience, Post-Graduate Tuition Reimbursement incentives.

Cons

None to report. A great place to work.

2. "Happily Employed"

Current Employee - Assistant Engineer in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Engineer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers are friendly
    Opportunities to learn new things and work on a variety of projects
    Work is challenging and helps employees grow
    Work is valued

Cons

Work load can feel like it is too much as times

Advice to Management

n/a

"One of the best in the Industry"

Former Employee - Assistant Engineer
    Former Employee - Assistant Engineer

I worked at Hazen and Sawyer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at Hazen & Sawyer immediately after school and enjoyed the experience entirely. There is a great network within the company, so there are opportunities to grow in whichever field you find your niche. The work environment was also great: Most of the senior staff have been in the industry for 10-30 years, so they are very comfortable in their jobs and stress is very low. Deliverables were always carried out thoughtfully. All of the senior staff was extremely clear-headed and very impressive!

Cons

Sometimes people are thrown into new projects out of the blue, which took some getting used to.

Advice to Management

Consider offering relocation bonus to new grads.

"Great work environment with lots of opportunities"

Current Employee - Assistant Engineer
    Current Employee - Assistant Engineer

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a young engineer, I have really appreciated the level to which I am exposed to interesting projects and given a meaningful role in them. I am given responsibility to handle tasks that I am qualified to carry out, but also pushed to grow and learn as I take on new responsibilities. There is a culture of collaboration at this company and a lot of really talented individuals who work here. I have access to the all the necessary resources and can get feedback or input whenever needed.

There are also plenty of opportunities to get involved in activities related to professional development. I have really enjoyed my involvement with the local chapter of the Water Environment Federation, and the opportunity to author papers and give presentations on topics on relevant wastewater issues. Overall, I feel that I am valued as an employee at Hazen and Sawyer, and I am able to meaningfully contribute to the company and our clients, which makes my job very fulfilling.

Cons

I honestly don’t have any complaints. It is sometimes necessary to put in additional hours to meet deadlines etc., but I believe I am well compensated for that time.

"Great opportunities and Mentorship"

Current Employee - Assistant Engineer in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Hazen and Sawyer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working for Hazen and Sawyer for 3 years and 10 months. Since starting with the company I have been exposed to a variety of different projects that have expanded my knowledge on water/wastewater treatment both "in the fence" and "out of the fence". After having worked on various projects I found myself more interested in wastewater-related projects. The company has been extremely good in allowing me to work on these types of projects and getting involved in various different ways. It has helped me to grow both in knowledge on the various wastewater treatment process, but also gain some design experience.

From Day 1 I have been provided PLENTY of guidance on whatever project I have been working on and constantly have had a mentor or someone to give me direction along the way. Having a mentor and other professionals to learn under has added an immense value to my employment and one which I would not give up.

The company also provides me with ample opportunities to get involved in various professional organizations for networking and professional development which have helped me immensely. Another great point is that I can participate in these professional development activities (i.e. attending a state/national conference) and am not required to make up the hours.

I have a generous/fair amount of PTO (120 hours/year for your first 5-years) and have never had issues with taking PTO so long as I gave plenty of advanced notice to my project managers. We are also able to roll-over any hours that are not used in a calendar year, but with a cap on the roll-over (140 hours).

There is also a vast amount of knowledge/experience within the company which is available all the time by simply picking up the phone and calling someone or sending an email.

I have had to work some extra hours to complete project work, but working extra hours is never encouraged or forced by any means. There is no overtime pay; however, there are other means of compensation.

Annual evaluations are conducted with raises based on merit. Thus, I have received recognition for my hard work and receive compensation via pay increase reflecting my efforts. Motivated individuals will be noticed.

Cons

I do not have anything negative to say about the company at this time.

Advice to Management

Please continue to emphasize mentoring the younger engineers by partnering us with project managers and other senior engineers to provide guidance/direction in our work.

Please continue to provide opportunities for younger engineers to network and interact with other professionals by attending conferences and other professional development activities. This has actually helped me to see greater benefits of being part of Hazen and Sawyer compared to other consulting firms.