Hazen and Sawyer Reviews

Updated Jun 18, 2021

Found 110 of over 121 reviews

4.6
Hazen and Sawyer President & CEO Charles S. Hocking (no image)
Charles S. Hocking
Pros
  • "Healthy work environment, cares about well-being of employees(in 12 reviews)

• "They specialize in water and wastewater treatment so their expertise goes deeper: with research and application(in 5 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work-life balance can become a problem for some (depending on how much responsibility you take on)(in 5 reviews)

• "Cons: Folks do have their own fiefdoms(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Treated fairly

Jun 18, 2021 - Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

Laid back yet professional work atmosphere. Low stress and lots of fun if you work with the right people. Work with peers you can respect and who aren’t out to get you. You’re all on the same team pursuing the same mission. Great job security. Excellent pay and benefits.

Cons

Training needs to be more thorough.

2. 5.0

Barter

Jun 9, 2021 - Administrative Assistant
      Business Outlook

Pros

The culture at Hazen and Sawyer is second to none because every employee is expected to be the best they can be, and we’re all shown exactly HOW to become the best we can be. Everyone from management to your coworkers are willing to devote their time to showing you "what it takes." It's very much a culture of “pay it forward” here at Hazen and Sawyer. Management also does this by just leading by example. They’re always the first in the door in the mornings and the last ones to leave. They work harder than the rest of us and that’s why it’s so easy to respect them. In my opinion, Hazen and Sawyer is a successful company because of its dedication to: Communication Collaboration and teamwork Problem-solving Accountability Open-mindedness Diversity Working here has taken me to the next level not only as an employee but as an individual and I can’t thank the H&S Team enough for the values and mindset that they’ve instilled in me over the years. This is an amazing company directly because of all the amazing people who work here and who live the values they preach every day.

Cons

Growth is never easy and it doesn’t come without struggle, but being on the other side I can see clearly how it was worth every minor inconvenience and frustration.

3. 5.0

Jun 14, 2021 - My Review in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

PAY & BENEFITS This is where the company really shines. The pay is insane and add in the bonuses and the fact that they give regular raises to the top performers, the limit is even higher than the sky! Benefits are good too. WORK ENVIRONMENT Very professional. I’m not buddy-buddy with everyone in the office but we get along well enough. COWORKERS My coworkers are nice. I’ve learned a lot from a few of them and the other ones are always respectful and kind when we’re conversing or if I have a question. MANAGEMENT Not bad. Some of the managers are not good, but what company can’t say the same? I stick to directing all my questions and comments to the ones who are nice and I don’t have any issues. CLIENTS Sometimes they take your advice, sometimes they don’t. It’s true: you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink. OVERALL Overall I enjoy working at Strategic Financial Solutions and would recommend it to anyone considering applying here.

Cons

I think I said everything I needed to say in the previous section.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Craig

May 27, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Hazen and Sawyer provided me with excellent growth opportunities. The day-to-day aspect of my job is never the same twice so I’m constantly in new and unfamiliar territory that keeps me on my toes. I’ve also learned a great deal about how to work with a wide range of individuals in a variety of stressful situations. Sometimes I still can’t believe I got the chance to be part of such a worthwhile growing company that has aspirations of greatness and the desire to contribute positively to the world at large. We’re less of a company and more of a giant group of people who care about the cleanliness of the world’s drinking water and work together to effect change.

Cons

My only recommendation is that you don’t apply if you aren’t 110% dedicated to what we’re doing here. Work/life balance is only an issue if you’re not passionate, driven, and dedicated. So if you really don’t care about clean water at least don’t complain about the work we put in because for the rest of us it’s a labor of love.

Continue reading
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

One of the best jobs I have ever had!

Jun 9, 2021 - Financial Consultant in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent managers and supervisors who lead by example and give you all of the tools and support you need to succeed at your job. It is a huge responsibility consulting on other people’s finances, but we go the extra mile to ensure the job is done right. There are obvious logistic challenges to speaking with so many people every single day, but we are given all the tools needed to overcome those challenges. Sometimes the days are long, but that is comes with the territory. My coworkers are amazing. They’ve taught me everything I know. Overall, this is one of the best jobs I have ever had. Strategic Financial Solutions is committed to their clients AND their employees. I feel valued and respected and I know my clients feel the same.

Cons

Not a one! I love it here.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Hazen and Sawyer stands by their employees

May 30, 2021 - Current Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The title says it all but it’s so much more than just that. They don’t just stand by their employees, they heavily invest in them as well. This is the ideal work environment for any aspiring engineer looking to make their mark in the world. At the very least it’s a great place to build up your resume and get your career started off on the right foot. I’ve worked on a variety of projects that have greatly expanded my knowledge and skillset pertaining to water and wastewater treatment. The more I work here the more I find myself interested in learning more. Guidance has been plentiful from day one and still continues a full year later. There’s always someone on standby to give me much needed guidance when I need it. Do I recommend Hazen and Sawyer? Wholeheartedly!

Cons

This company has always taken care of me. I don’t have a single con.

7. 5.0

Professional work environment

Jun 16, 2021 - Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

No need to worry about some over domineering manager leaning over your shoulder and micromanaging your every move. You work directly with your colleagues without smothering oversight. Everyone has a role to play. Hard work is openly acknowledged by higher ups. Everything you do here will have a major impact in the grand scheme of things.

Cons

There is no hand holding. Some of the younger engineers may feel like they’re floundering for a time before they figure things out. Either that or they continue to flounder.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

A company with an amazing mission

Jun 9, 2021 - Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

A clean water supply is essential to the health and wellbeing of any community and while it’s an incredible mission it comes with exceptional challenges. Over the past 70 years Hazen and Sawyer has developed and improved upon systems and processes to pursue their company mission to the best of their ability and have gathered the brightest environmental engineers and scientists the world has to offer. Having pursued this mission myself for 4 years of my life, I’m satisfied with where I left things.

Cons

They require that I write a minimum word count in this section. Here it is.

Continue reading
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Rewarding & Fulfilling Work

May 30, 2021 - Assistant Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

H&S is the first company I’ve worked for where I can actually feel a sense of pride in the work I’m doing. So many companies nowadays are just out to turn a profit. But H&S genuinely cares about the world we live in. We’re finding new and more efficient ways to provide clean water to everyone and do so in an environmentally friendly way. I used to hate conversations that start with “so what do you do” but now I can’t wait to be asked so I can boast about the company I work for and the part I play in what we’re doing.

Cons

I haven’t been here very long but I can already tell H&S is the kind of company that doesn’t have any cons.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

No hive mind here

Jun 10, 2021 - Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

It isn’t that hard to stand out from the rest of the pack. Very bright engineering people and a diverse workforce to boot. Despite the size of the company it doesn’t operate in a “hive mind” mentality. Each region is unique in their approach to water and wastewater. Helps to move around to get a unique company wide perspective.

Cons

Some projects managers need more training to be truly qualified of their title.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 110 Reviews