Head Injury Association Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Stuart Gleiber

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Community Habilitation Specialist"

Former Employee - Community Habilitation Specialist in Hauppauge, NY
    Former Employee - Community Habilitation Specialist in Hauppauge, NY

I worked at Head Injury Association part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, supportive management, and supportive of further education. There are a lot of job opportunities and training opportunities.

Cons

Although the work schedule is vet flexible the trainings may interfere with your schedule if you have more than one job.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Worst employer ever."

Former Employee - Residence Manager in Hauppauge, NY
    Former Employee - Residence Manager in Hauppauge, NY

I worked at Head Injury Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Their "Clubhouse" is great for the individuals they serve. Residences are quite nice.

Cons

Literally everything else. See below.

Advice to Management

I was employed with Head Injury Association for a period of less than a year before I decided to resign. I had years of experience in the field of residential management.

Head Injury Association tricked me into managing multiple IRA's. I had many times more paperwork than anyone else in my position. I was also expected to manage all of this extra responsibility without an office or computer of my own to do work on. My car and briefcase were my only office. I was paid the same as everyone else.

I was on call 24/7 with the agency but they gave me a broken phone to handle business with, which they could not manage to replace in six months.

Employees I was responsible for managing would be let go mysteriously and no one would explain why. I had to pick up the pieces after this occurred on a number of occasions. The agency promoted the van driver and med assistant during my first week at the agency, which left me to pick up that duty as well. My assistant manager also let me know she was resigning within the first few weeks of me being there, which left my residences completely underequipped. No additional support was given by upper management.

The agency had a very specific way of doing things, different from other agencies in this field....but they did not want to invest any time or energy into training new managers in their procedures. Nothing was ever enough for upper management. Not sure what they spent their time doing but they essentially did not want to deal with middle management besides having paperwork on their desk at a certain time. No training, no example setting, no expectation setting...the director did not visit any of my multiple sites one time in the more than six months I was there. The asst.director visited two or three times. This is in contrast with other agencies I have worked in where the director would visit each site at least weekly to both ensure quality, provide guidance and set expectations,

The residential department in general was a mess, with numerous disgruntled managers and one storming out in a fit of curse words. Many others quit in my relatively short time there, I got the sense there is quite a revolving door situation.

After repeatedly asking for at least working equipment and an office and being denied, I requested a transfer to another department. This was approved, so I resigned my position.

However, the agency let me serve my entire four weeks notice and then pulled the transfer out from under me, cutting me loose and leaving my wife and I without insurance.

A truly terrible work environment and one of the most miserable periods of my life. Stay away.

On the bright side their buildings were nice and the individuals in the program were fantastic across the board.

"MSC"

Current Employee - Medicaid Service Coordinator in Hauppauge, NY
    Current Employee - Medicaid Service Coordinator in Hauppauge, NY

I have been working at Head Injury Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers very nice and willing to help. Facility is clean and pleasant atmosphere. Hiring process was quick. The cost of health insurance is cheaper than most. Might make up for it with lack of services though, not sure yet.

Cons

There is absolutely NO job training and it causes employees to leave VERY quickly. They give you a full caseload from DAY ONE and automatically expect you to know what to do. Despite having experience or not, every job should offer SOME type of instruction and this position does not. You learn how to do things by pretty much harassing co-workers and direct supervisors. This wastes a MASSIVE amount of everyone's time.
    Clients are very frustrated with turnover rate and how long it takes to receive services because of it.
    Everyone talks to you like you've been there a year but it's your first day.
    A 403b is the only form of pension.

Advice to Management

PLEASE train your MSC's. It is completely unfair to overwhelm them from the beginning. New employees dread coming to work because they don't know what to do.
    Consider a true pension plan as an incentive to stay with the company.

4. "Wonderful ! No better words to explain"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hauppauge, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hauppauge, NY

I have been working at Head Injury Association part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Helping the participants and making a difference in their everyday lives.

Cons

It was just very far about 45 - 1 hour with traffic

Advice to Management

Keep up the wonderful work

5. "Medicaid Service Coordinator"

I worked at Head Injury Association full-time

Pros

I worked with a great team, from supervisor to fellow colleagues. Everyone helped each other especially when coming into the case management field as a newbie. I was able to approach my supervisor whenever I needed help with a client or case note.

Cons

Benefits were lacking and there was no room for advancement. Cases often crossed with other agencies. They offered no incentives to stay.

6. "Community Habilitation Counselor"

Current Employee - Community Habilitation Counselor in Islip Terrace, NY
    Current Employee - Community Habilitation Counselor in Islip Terrace, NY

I have been working at Head Injury Association part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Supervisors are easy to reach and communicate with.

Cons

No medical benefits available for p/t workers.

Advice to Management

Work on affordable medical/dental benefits for p/t staff.

"Day program specialist"

I have been working at Head Injury Association full-time

Pros

The individuals I support are awesome.

Cons

The CEO is annoying and doesn't understand the needs of the individuals.

Advice to Management

Get rid of your CEO. The rest of management is great.

8. "Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Head Injury Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere was very friendly and the location was convenient for me.

Cons

The pay rate was extremely low and they expected you to work more than was expected for extremely low pay.

Advice to Management

Up your pay rate or you will continue to have good employees constantly leaving your company.

"Residental"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stony Brook, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stony Brook, NY

I have been working at Head Injury Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with individuals who suffer TBI's. Very flexible. Decent benefits. Residental management was pretty chill, just over worked.

Cons

Huge, huge turn overs. Nurses don't stay. Managers are way over worked and don't stay. Drivers don't stay. They have workers driving a mini school bus without a CDL! Lets talk driver position. Drivers have to pick up there residents (a-signed house), plus extra individuals , run doctors appointments, fill out paperwork. Work in day hab when the van is parked. Stay pass 4 o'clock most of the time until someone shows up, all for 12 dollars a hour. Next you can't work past 16 hours. If there no one to relieve you past the 16 hours you're expected to punch out and wait. Sounds illegal. They punshed employees last year who worked over 16 hours by coming up to sign for checks. Some checks where as low as $3.00! No joke. Had to go into office indiviually and get spoken to and sign a sheet that you received the money. They constantly expect workers to drop everything to come up the main office for whatever. They the clients where ever they find for. Not always the best place for the individual.

Advice to Management

This for upper manacement, Wake up! Come up with solutions. Stop treating the clients as a way to get money and start actually looking at ways to help them. There a lot clients that are placed in condos and houses that aren't right for them. Stop treating your emloyees like you own them

"Very bad experience, I only stayed for a month"

Pros

none. I don't see anything good about tis agency, beside tat they pay time and a half for snow days

Cons

Pay is low. Managers and assistant managers are nasty. Too much driving. Their buses are too damn big! We are not cdl drivers, do they know how much an access a ride driver gets paid???