Headspring Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Headspring Founder & CEO Dustin Wells
Dustin Wells

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • This company is loaded with smart people who are focused on building a great culture with strong core values in every single one of it's divisions (in 14 reviews)

• No questions were stupid, everyone was willing to help if you asked for it, and the leadership genuinely seemed to care about employee satisfaction (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Growing pains are going to happen, especially at the rate we're growing (in 5 reviews)

• A couple of the company's core values are "people are valued" and "honest communication", however, they're just for show and buzz-words (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Excellent Place to Grow and Impact"

I have been working at Headspring full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Headspring is a company that lives up to it's core values (People are Valued, Honest Communication, Passion for Learning and Growth, Drive for Excellence, Own Your Experience). The leadership strives to ensure that decisions are made not just for the benefit of the company, but for each of the Headspringers it will impact. A culture of learning, growth, and professionalism ensures that each individual is given opportunities to improve in every way and excellent feedback across the board helps foster insight and reflection. There's a fountain of knowledge and experience here for anyone willing to step up to the plate.

Cons

Not so much a con, but a friendly FYI: If you prefer to hide behind corporate policy walls or isolated to a cubicle, this place isn't for you. Headspring lives and breathes its core values, and part of that requires you to be willing to step outside your comfort zone. There's help and guidance here, but you have to be willing to grow and adapt... and be honest with yourself about whether or not you're willing to do so. If you are, an incredible journey awaits.

Advice to Management

N/A

Oct 30, 2017 – CEO

Hello and thank you for the kind words! We work so hard to make the best decisions that are aligned with our core values. I am so happy to see that you are experiencing that.

Also, regarding... More

2. "A breathe of fresh air - outstanding company"

Current Employee - Breaking Glass and Moving Fast in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Breaking Glass and Moving Fast in Austin, TX

I have been working at Headspring full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Leadership - this company has strong leadership that is willing to go the distance, leading by example. I have been thoroughly impressed with the level of transparency displayed throughout Headspring. The teammates all care...care for their work, the overall environment/culture as well as each other. Headspring is a company where you can realize your full potential, as leadership empowers the team to grow and develop. I haven't been at a more collaborative and transparent company in my entire career. The work done here is transformational across a wide body of work and use cases. I am grateful to be a Headspringer!

Cons

The only cons I can think of are that we are growing pretty quickly and could use some great engineers. We'll be fine in the interim, but we will need to add high performing talent going forward...and that is a testament to our ability to deliver world-class software to our clients.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your people and continue to be transparent. This is a great company with a bright future, don't fix what isn't broken.

Jan 4, 2018 – CEO

Thank you so much for your feedback. We will continue to lead by example and to provide visibility into all areas of the business. In 2018, we are doubling down on what's working today to make it... More

3. "Finally a place that values people!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Headspring full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked with companies in every major business sector and consulted many others. A common theme between businesses is that they all have their “Core Values”. No matter the name of the company or the sector of their business, they all list a value that they value their people. The differentiating factor with Headspring is that it’s not just something that is posted on the wall. Demonstrating that people are valued is the at the heart of Headspring and it drives everything from hiring to client interaction.
    It is extremely refreshing to see a company that desires to understand what people value and how to live that out day to day.

Cons

The hardest thing for Headspring lately has been hiring solid talent. People read the reviews on sites like this one and assume that nothing has changed. That couldn’t be further from the truth. Headspring has made a major turn and only needs some solid talent to assist in the growth.

Advice to Management

Keep driving and working hard. People appreciate all the work that's being done to grow Headspring into a more amazing place to work.

Oct 30, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for the feedback. It is awesome to see that you experience the priority that we put on creating an environment that truly values each and every person. We know that if we can deliver great... More

4. "Challenging and Rewarding"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Headspring full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learning and Development - I can't imagine a company where you can learn and develop your skill set in a better way than at Headspring. This is from a few main reasons:

1) There are multiple learning sessions each week, where a topic is presented to anyone at the company that is interested

2) We are a small company, so we all have to help out in different areas in the company. In less than 2 years I have led an internal software project, led multiple external software projects with different clients, helped write RFP responses, presented in sales meetings, and led an architecture assessment of a Fortune 500 company.

3) We rotate between projects, so we get to learn new industries and technologies with each new project that is assigned.

Culture - It really feels like a team at Headspring where we are all working towards the same goals. I believe that everyone sincerely cares about each other, which can be seen by the number of times that someone goes out of their way to answer a question or help out on an issue that someone else is having even if they are not on the same project.

Overall, there is a solid group of smart, driven, and genuinely nice people that work at Headspring, and we are all working towards making Headspring a better place to work and providing an exceptional software development consulting experience to our clients.

Cons

The company hired too quickly which caused some layoffs in early 2016. Because of this, we have been hesitant to increase our headcount. This has definitely improved the financial outlook of the company and put us in a great place, but it has lead to some of the more senior team members being stretched across multiple projects.

We've recently made the decision to actively start hiring again, which should alleviate some of the pain that we've been feeling.

Advice to Management

Continue being open and honest, even when tough messages need to be delivered.

Oct 27, 2017 – CEO

Thank you so much for sharing this! One of my deepest commitments to our team at Headspring is making us an organization that allows someone to grow faster here than they would anywhere else, so I am... More

5. "Industry Catalyst and Career Accelerator"

I have been working at Headspring full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've had the privilege to advance my career to new heights, work on engaging projects, mold the culture around the office, and learn new technologies. What more could you ask for?

We build software with an iterative approach - so why not build a company's culture the same way? This allows each and every person to have an impact on the direction of the company and services we provide. Leadership is fairly in tune with the employee atmosphere, and run things by the team before making significant changes.

The hungrier you are, the better. This is not the kind of place where you can sit around and exist - there are no cogs in the machine - and that's not a good fit for everyone. If you're willing to make a difference, whether it's on a culture side or technical side, then you'll fit right in.

Cons

Headspring has felt the normal growing pains of a business that is trying to break through the 100 person mark, and has had to adapt its longterm strategy.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your team - they're what have brought you this far, and they're what will bring you to new heights.

Oct 28, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to write in! I love your comment about building a company with an iterative approach – and totally agree. As you know, we try small experiments, and they don’t all work... More

"A company that lives its values"

I have been working at Headspring full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've never worked at another company that honors its core values so consistently. That's probably because these values were originally developed by the team (not management). These aren't just catchy slogans on the wall - they are common beliefs that are shared by the team. At the start of my career, I might not have valued that, but now I see it's absolute gold. If you interview here, ask about the core values. If they resonate with you, Headspring will probably be a great place for you.

From a practical standpoint, the insurance plan is the best I've had -- even better than what I got working at "BigCorp". 401k matching is good. 40 hour work week is taken seriously. And of course, there's working every day on interesting projects with really smart people who care about their work.

Without a doubt, Headspring is the best place I've worked.

Cons

Consulting isn't for everyone, and I think this takes engineers who expect to keep their head down and code all day by surprise.

Advice to Management

Continue with the transparency and accountability to the team.

Sep 12, 2017 – CEO

I really appreciate your feedback and thank you for taking the time to share your experience! We all work hard to create an environment where everyone at Headspring can thrive and grow. Your feedback... More

"Senior Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at Headspring full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to work with extremely smart people and work-life balance is actively encouraged. They take transparency to a whole new level and you just have to ask to know anything that you want to learn. Absolutely no politics..

Cons

small company, a very small revenue runway is visible.

Advice to Management

Senior management is top-notch. All of them are hands-on and lead by example.

Sep 19, 2017 – EVP, Operations

Thanks very much for sharing your feedback. It's great to see confirmation that what we're doing internally is working, to build an organization where talented people can do their best work... More

"Recruiting"

Pros

Fantastic CEO/Founder
    Core Values that play out in reality
    Commitment to continuous improvement

Cons

Sometimes the commitments to clients run counter to the work/life balance that the company aspires to offer to all employees, especially the developers who are on the front line of delivering the services

Oct 9, 2017 – EVP, Operations

We're really glad to know that you're seeing our core values alive and well in the organization, and hopefully through the course of this year you've seen us double down on our commitment to... More

"Great people and culture. Growing pains."

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Headspring full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People and Culture. The very best things about Headspring for me were the people who worked there - genuine, easy and fun to work with - and the culture that fostered this environment.

No questions were stupid, everyone was willing to help if you asked for it, and the leadership genuinely seemed to care about employee satisfaction.

I loved the attention to detail that was given to the execution of the projects across all levels of the organization. The focus on client satisfaction was refreshing to see in a consulting company that genuinely cared about making clients succeed and not just in boosting revenue as most consulting companies do.

My manager in the Houston office was truly a pleasure to work with and encouraged me to step out of my comfort zone, every day and helped me get things done that I normally would have shied away from.
    My co-workers formed a tight knit group that shared each other's successes without any of the typical office politics.

Cons

As many reviewers have stated before, the company tried to grow very aggressively this past year. Communication was extremely disorganized during this time and the promise of the company and its core values were compromised, if not in reality, at least in perception.
    Leadership did a poor job navigating through this rough patch including the way the downsizing was handled.

Advice to Management

Follow through on initiatives. More often than not, a new initiative dies out within a few weeks after being introduced without a proper follow up, leaving all those who contributed to it, deflated and discouraged.

CEO needs to maintain current level of focus on operations, including employee engagement.

"Getting back on track"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX

I worked at Headspring full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Dallas team is a great bunch of people who are mutually supportive and eager to help each other learn and grow. While the company has had some problems in the last year, they are back on track and growing again. Clients are happier, employees are happier, and the portfolio is growing. Senior leadership has taken some hard lessons to heart and are doing the best they can to serve their employees and clients.

Cons

Some of the projects are small or strangely shaped for a delivery organization. As revenue and the sales funnel grow, these should fade away in favor of more straightforward projects. Many teams use members from multiple offices so there is a lot of remote communication for a small company.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the team and remain open and transparent. Don't take your eye off the ball.

Aug 12, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for the feedback! We're committed to building an organization where you can grow faster than you would anywhere else, do your best work ever, and deliver great software that transforms... More