Headspring Reviews | Glassdoor

Dustin Wells

"Getting back on track"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX

I worked at Headspring full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Dallas team is a great bunch of people who are mutually supportive and eager to help each other learn and grow. While the company has had some problems in the last year, they are back on track and growing again. Clients are happier, employees are happier, and the portfolio is growing. Senior leadership has taken some hard lessons to heart and are doing the best they can to serve their employees and clients.

Cons

Some of the projects are small or strangely shaped for a delivery organization. As revenue and the sales funnel grow, these should fade away in favor of more straightforward projects. Many teams use members from multiple offices so there is a lot of remote communication for a small company.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the team and remain open and transparent. Don't take your eye off the ball.

Aug 12, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for the feedback! We're committed to building an organization where you can grow faster than you would anywhere else, do your best work ever, and deliver great software that transforms ... More

2. "Great people and culture. Growing pains."

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Headspring full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People and Culture. The very best things about Headspring for me were the people who worked there - genuine, easy and fun to work with - and the culture that fostered this environment.

No questions were stupid, everyone was willing to help if you asked for it, and the leadership genuinely seemed to care about employee satisfaction.

I loved the attention to detail that was given to the execution of the projects across all levels of the organization. The focus on client satisfaction was refreshing to see in a consulting company that genuinely cared about making clients succeed and not just in boosting revenue as most consulting companies do.

My manager in the Houston office was truly a pleasure to work with and encouraged me to step out of my comfort zone, every day and helped me get things done that I normally would have shied away from.
    My co-workers formed a tight knit group that shared each other's successes without any of the typical office politics.

Cons

As many reviewers have stated before, the company tried to grow very aggressively this past year. Communication was extremely disorganized during this time and the promise of the company and its core values were compromised, if not in reality, at least in perception.
    Leadership did a poor job navigating through this rough patch including the way the downsizing was handled.

Advice to Management

Follow through on initiatives. More often than not, a new initiative dies out within a few weeks after being introduced without a proper follow up, leaving all those who contributed to it, deflated and discouraged.

CEO needs to maintain current level of focus on operations, including employee engagement.

3. "Declining"

Former Employee - Developer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at Headspring (More than a year)

Pros

Work with some smart people if you are lucky, equipment of your choice
    Opportunity to learn industry back practices

Cons

Many great people have left, Jimmy B. is at conferences 90% of the time.
    You may end up with a "mentor" who is actively working against you or in a death march project where management and/or client may put increasing pressure on the team if dates start slipping

Advice to Management

Do whatever you can to keep best people from leaving

Aug 5, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for the feedback. We had a tough Q1, 2016. We had a financial loss, and we made mistakes as leaders that led us to a situation where we had to make the tough decision to lay off 19 people ... More

"good people, struggling with growth"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Headspring full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company hires very smart people, who are enjoyable to work with, and has a great focus on growing skills. When things are going well, this culture is a huge benefit. The constant feedback can be daunting at times but also enables a lot personal growth and development. I learned a lot during my time at Headspring, and I've already seen it pay off in my new role. It's also great working at a company where people are truly excited about their job, as opposed to being jaded and just there to clock in.

Cons

The company exploded in size since 2014, both in the number of employees as well as the client/contract size, and have since struggled to find their way. It’s very different running a company of 12 people vs almost 100, while taking on larger engagements with higher stakes and complexity at the same time, and unfortunately management wasn’t equipped to handle it. This resulted in a drop in employee satisfaction, where a lot of good people left, plus some pretty drastic events that are referenced in other reviews. It wasn't clear how to handle the increased client demands, so employees were sometimes sacrificed to keep the client happy. Values were occasionally compromised in the name of the company. New roles were created with loose or poorly defined guidelines, and didn't have time to gel before they got nixed. The culture of growth and transparency suffered, and in some cases became a negative because the feedback evolved into finger pointing as they struggled to find their footing. I do believe that eventually that Headspring will find its way, but right now there's a lot of uncertainty.

Advice to Management

Seriously consider updating your leadership team - in some cases the selected leaders seem to be more a result of length of service than actually being a good fit for the role in the current environment. If you want a larger company with larger projects, you’ll need leadership that has the experience & skill set to handle the evolution.

Aug 4, 2016 – CEO

I appreciate your feedback. It is no secret that we had a difficult first quarter this year and had to let valued team members go. That was not an easy decision to make. I and the whole executive ... More

6. "Ups and Downs in Everything"

I have been working at Headspring full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I truly believe Headspring is a great company who's foundation is continually trying to do it's best for our entire team. This company is loaded with smart people who are focused on building a great culture with strong core values in every single one of it's divisions. They really care about people and are striving to invest in our growth. Not many companies make that kind of effort! This company offers us new challenges and opportunities to have a direct and positive impact on our own career paths both inside and outside of the company, something that's discouraged in most other corporations.

Cons

The company recently had a tough time and is trying to survive the after effects of layoffs which includes resentment and distrust among some that left and some that remain. I know layoffs are never intentional and though we lost some great people in this process, it was necessary to keep our doors open. I thought management did a great job in navigating the company through this period. We are all learning as we go, including this management team, so I hope these growing pains have taught us ALL something about ourselves and our company's resilience.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on the team we have today, help them grow, and keep doing what you’re doing. Lead with the core values and keep providing visibility into the numbers.

Aug 5, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for your feedback! Based on the actions we took and the tough decisions we had to make, we have turned the company around and are profitable YTD for 2016. We are financially healthy and are ... More

"Should Have Trusted My Gut"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Headspring full-time

Pros

If I remember correctly once a month the newer employees went out to lunch with uppper management and got to speak about their own experiences at the company, both positive negative.

Cons

I should have trusted my gut, yet didn't. When I went through the interview process I found it odd that there were several others who had more sales experience that I had turned down the role at Headspring.

Still I shrugged that off.

Then it came to my start date, HR didn't have the strat date correct and when I did start they weren't ready for me. Didn't have a computer and I ended up doing busy work as in stuffing envelopes.

Another rather shocking thing was that the person I was working for never went through a sales process and over what Headspring actually was selling.

Even worse I was working under basically stated money was the most important thing and even a certain family member had pointed that out. Note it wasn't said as a joke.

So, it's seems rather shocking to me to find on a yearly basis this company is among the top places to work. My suggestion avoid at all costs especially when upper management cares about money.

Advice to Management

Won't get taken, yet get rid of said person who only cares about money

Jul 28, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for letting us know about your experience. A lot’s changed at Headspring over the last three and a half years. As we continue to grow and seek the “Better Way” in everything we do, there’s ... More

"Best Team I've Ever Worked With!"

I have been working at Headspring full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a very open and transparent company where everyone is really working for the benefit of the company, the clients we serve, and each other. You never see anyone just out to help themselves or putting in less than 100% effort. It's a joy to come to work everyday with such a wonderful group of people who are so talented and committed to Headspring. We work hard and we have fun.

Cons

Growing pains are going to happen, especially at the rate we're growing. I appreciate the company's willingness to change what needs to be changed to make things better, whether it's processes or people.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"The most challenging and rewarding place I ever worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Headspring full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Profitable, growing, dynamic company. Single owner, trasnparency to the company of the good and the bad from the executive team, and a collection of word class engineers focused on delivering great software to transform organizations. Great benefits, great secondary perks, and core values that matter more than the bottom line.

Cons

We're growing fast, and sometimes that means there's a mis-hire. Company's quick to address performance issues, but that means it can feel like turnover outside of engineering is higher than it ought to be.

Advice to Management

Stay focused - it's easy to want to take on every new opportunity to grow, but being self funded, we don't have the capital to go after all of them!

"Great People and Amazing Opportunities"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX

Pros

I have worked at Headspring for over a year and can say that I work with the best people imaginable. One of the best things about Headspring is that you can count on everyone to work just as hard as you, to care about what they do and deliver on our brand promise. Our core values are not just words on the wall, but something alive within our company.

Cons

Our standards are high and that can cause ramping up to be a bit rough, but everyone works hard to help each other succeed. The one thing I haven’t seen much is internal vying for positions; meaning there is plenty of growth opportunity for everyone. I believe this to be even truer in the Houston office, where we are aggressively hiring and growing.

On top of it being hard to ramp up it is also tough at times to maintain the standards that we set, especially if you have previously worked at a company where you can surf on a little success for a time. At Headspring success is celebrated, studied and replicated. Once it is repeatable we reset success to a higher standard.

Advice to Management

Keep standards high and continue to grow the team responsibly. We all truly appreciate the work you do for the team.

"Culture, Culture, Culture!"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Headspring full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You have the opportunity to work with some of the smartest people in the industry.
    Culture is fantastic and everyone is HAPPY!
    Opportunity for company growth as well as career growth.
    Open space allowing for easier connection and honest communication.
    Constantly working on big business challenges that impact large enterprise clients.

Cons

Bar is very high and it's a fast paced environment. Need to make sure you can keep up!

Advice to Management

Love what you're doing! Keep it up!