Headworks Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Michele LaNoue

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Place to Learn and Grow"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Headworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is one of the best places to work for. If you are willing to put in the effort- you will be taken care of and provided the full support from Management and every other employee. Being a small company-- you are given the chance to learn and grow based on your skillset. If you are one of those people-- who is looking to hide behind a desk for 8 hours a day-- this is not the job for you. If you are one of those who wants to learn and grow everyday-- this is the perfect place.
    Working for a small company provides you greater visibility and Headworks provides the opportunity for you to grow based on your skillset. They are not hesitant to provide training to employees. The Senior Management is awesome and always trying to do what is right for the employees. They value employee feedback and this is taken into account wherever practical. The CEO is one of the best person i have ever met. She is very down to earth and always approachable to all employees. She is always looking to help employees and do what is right for them, even if that is a negative financial consequence for the owner. You couldn't find a more caring CEO. The negative reviews on this site are probably a mis-understanding of the situations. I worked closely with most people at the company and wanted to write a true, honest and unbiased feedback and hence never wrote a review while i was still with the company. The biggest advantage of working at Headworks is that you get to treat one of the most important resources on Earth, at the same time getting very well compensated and being given the freedom to chart your own career path while being able to enjoy quality personal time. If you get an opportunity to work at Headworks-- grab it before its too late. I left Headworks due to personal reasons but it was a difficult decision.

Cons

End of the year is pretty hectic- while most companies have holidays at that time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Headworks is going to go to great places. Giving employees the rationale for some of the critical decisions/feedback would probably eliminate all the negative reviews on this site.

"A very rough culture in which to thrive"

I worked at Headworks full-time

Pros

They are in a neat industry.

Cons

The owner is mercurial and somewhat unbalanced. They create facades (forced fake reviews, captive H1B employees) that are tricky, but it is not a pleasant place. Trust your gut, and their terrible reputation.

Advice to Management

Get professional management, remove the CEO, show progress. You are relying on a patent, and nothing more.

Nov 16, 2017 – CEO

All reviews written by employees or ex-employees are sincere just as we feel your review is as well. No fake news here! It must have been some time ago that you work for Headworks as it's been a... More

"Best Place I've Ever Worked"

I have been working at Headworks full-time

Pros

Working at a company where everyone is passionate about cleaning the water which goes back into the environment all around the world is my favorite thing about working at Headworks. Management truly cares about my progress up the ladder and that the career I want is the one they try to make possible for me. Compensation is fair no matter your gender, race or religion as it's all bench marked against Salary.com. The diversity in the headquarters office is a match for being in Houston, the most diverse city in the USA. I learn a ton from my colleagues, not only about the business, but about the world. The managers are respectful of my personal life and I only work late or on the weekend on the rare occasion when something really needs to get out and I've fallen behind.

Cons

This is a relative small business, so everyone has to pull their weight. If someone doesn't do their work, doesn't have the skill set they put in their resume or has a negative attitude, it shows up fast. The whole department participates in interviewing and deciding on new candidates, but sometimes we don't get it right and the whole process has to start again. People are expected to be professional and team oriented, too. If not, they are shown the door. It's sometimes frustrating that we are short a person in a department because of this, but the long term people here are always willing to help with the workload. And the policy of keeping the very best people happy is working well.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. The new senior executive team are rock stars and I'm so lucky to work with them. New head of engineering literally came from a company which removes nuclear waste from water. What a fantastic opportunity to work with people of that caliber.

Nov 16, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your kind words! As a current employee, you know how hard all of the managers are working to help grow everyone's career here and implement improved systems so everyone's work is... More

"Great people, great company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Headworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's great to be part of this friendly, hard-working team! Exposure to various departments, unlike in larger corporations. I've seen them promote from within, so plenty of growth potential. Casual office, somewhat flexible work hours within established guidelines. Benefits are ok, on par with industry standards.

Cons

Responsibilities expand beyond industry standard for a particular position, salary may not reflect that. This is probably due to it being a small company, but it can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Remember that your employees are what make you successful. Treat them well and loyalty will follow.

Mar 14, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for the review and we're truly happy that you are having a positive experience working here at Headworks. We are in the middle of annual employee reviews and hopefully once yours is... More

"RUN DO NOT WALK FROM THIS COMPANY!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Headworks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the people are great with exception to two in upper management. The pay is good, but not worth the treatment you will get here.

Cons

When you see good reviews on this company it is a lie! The “one of the top companies to work for” bit is also a lie. Most of the employees were asked to give a good review so that others could join the team. This is a small company with a lot of potential, but the leadership is faulty. Your job duties will not be explained to you properly and you will be expected to guess what the upper management is thinking. No matter how much you do for the company the upper management will still find something wrong with what you did. There are no formal write ups. They will manufacture these false scenarios so that they can put a reprimand in your employee file and you will never know this has happened until you are at the point where you are no longer with the company. Often times you will be given tasks verbally and when you complete them you will be told that you are wrong and that is not was requested of you. You never know when to email, go talk to, or approach upper management as you never know which person the upper management will be on that particular day. When you read the reviews, go back and look at the responses. They will always say that the employee is disgruntled and this is far from the case. There is a reason that this company has such a high turnover. There have been over 40 employees in and out of this company in the last 2 years. No one can match with the personality of the upper management because it is all over the place. There are some good people that work here, but the upper management needs to be gone! If the individual was not here, this company would run smooth. AGAIN RUN! DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID AND GIVE UP ANOTHER POSITION TO COME HERE. YOU WILL REGRET IT!

Advice to Management

Get better control over your emotions. Stop and realize it is not everyone else that is the problem it is you. If someones personality meshes with an entire office full of people and not you then it is more than likely you. IT is not possible to learn what someone can do in under 3 months especially when the departments are not structured. Learn how to talk to people, give proper instructions, and do not leave it up to the person to guess what you are thinking. That is not possible when someone does not know you. Employees do not know when to email, call/text, or what direction to go in with you because we never know what mood you are in that day. These are just a few of many suggestions that I could give.

Mar 14, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your response and I would like to clear up several misconceptions you may have in your short time with the company. Our employees are not asked to provide positive reviews. All reviews... More

6. "Hands down, the best company I have worked for."

Former Employee - Field Service Technician and IT Administrative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Field Service Technician and IT Administrative in Houston, TX

I worked at Headworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful people, empowering work, great compensation and an opportunity to grow in your professional and personal life. The diversity of cultures and backgrounds within the company allow for fresh perspective on problems that need solving. The CEO is brilliant, compassionate and highly approachable. So is the majority of the company.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say so ill just say I wish there was a way I could work for them while living in a different state.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"A place to learn and grow professionally..."

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Headworks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Headworks is a small company that has recently made the short list for Houston Business Journal's 2016 Best Places to Work. Recently, the CEO has put key personnel in leadership roles that have helped the company function better and will help the company double in size within the next year.

About once a month, we have an in-office celebration called Friday @ 4 where everyone gets to relax and have fun enjoying each other's company.

The working environment here is more relaxed and less stressful than it has been in the past due to personnel changes that were significantly bringing the overall office morale down.

Cons

Being at a small company, you tend to wear many hats. But, you gain more experience working that way so it's better for you professionally in the long run.

Advice to Management

Listen to suggestions from your employees and keep up the good work!

Oct 4, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your review. We are all seeing the improvements in the company culture these last months with the exiting of people who saw the glass half empty and the addition of a suite of... More

"A Place for Growth"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Headworks full-time

Pros

We have once again made Houston Business Journal's Best Places to Work finalist list in 2016. The rankings are determined by a survey taken by all employees. Hundreds of companies participate and Headworks' employees decided that we're one of the best! Why are we the best? Well, I'll tell you...

Headworks offers a plethora of opportunities for those who willingly seek them. The CEO has personally invested herself in my career and is constantly seeking ways to propel me forward. I began at Headworks in the Procurement and Logistics department and in less than two years, I was promoted into our Project Management department. I come into work each day facing new and interesting challenges that further expands my knowledge and skill sets. The company owners have gone above and beyond in supporting my growth and no words could ever express how thankful I am for that. I shared my goals with them and I never would have imagined the support I continuously receive to achieve them. There is great comfort in knowing your employer honestly cares about you and is invested in your future.

In 2016, after careful vetting, we brought on a new team of senior executives. I'll be the first to admit, I was initially skeptical and a little wary of these newcomers, but, I'm to pleased to say all of that skepticism has disappeared. I cannot imagine Headworks without this team of leaders driving us forward. Not to mention the many years of experience, knowledge, and other intangible qualities they bring to the table. Every day I get to work and learn alongside some of the very best in the industry.

I have great co-workers. Each one of them brings something special to the table. I know that with their support, we can accomplish anything. Even on the busiest of days, there isn't a single person who wouldn't drop what they are doing to help a co-worker out. We're also a fun bunch to be around. We have a few pranksters on staff that keep us all on our toes. Every once in a while, we take off at 4 on Friday and go out to the back patio for BBQ and a few beers. A few of the departments go out for happy hour when they can. We have a rotating breakfast schedule for Friday's. It's amazing how little things like this make a huge difference.

Working in the water industry is often rewarding. We play a part in bringing clean water to communities all over the world. Since we're located in Houston, we've seen many oil & gas companies perform mass layoffs and have even seen many companies fold. You won't see that here at Headworks. The need for clean water will never cease to exist and the continuous development of our worldwide water infrastructure means we will continue to grow for many years to come! This is an industry I never considered working in and now I never want to leave.

Cons

It has been weeks and there are still no vending machines in the kitchen. I guess we'll have to manage...

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin' on! I feel that you have always asked for my opinion regarding anything major because you want to make sure you know how a decision may or may not impact me. I really appreciate that.

Oct 4, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your thoughts on what makes Headworks great. As you say, the new executive team is a great group who come from some of the best and most interesting companies in the water industry... More

"Great place to work"

Pros

Headworks is a privately owned company with a real family environment. The owners are committed to the employees and go out of their way to be supportive. It is a relatively small team and we all get along. People always are ready to chip in and help each other out.

Being in the water industry means that there is steady growth of business opportunities. In the last year, the company has really strengthened its technical capability to chase more business in the growth of the business.

Another thing to note is that even though the company is small, the benefits are better than I had at my last place which is one of the largest companies in the country. The company goes out of the way to make sure the employees are taken care of.

Cons

As a small company, it is missing some of the procedures I was used to when I worked at bigger places.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

Oct 4, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on what it's like to work at Headworks. We appreciate that you enjoy and appreciate the benefit package, what we do on a worldwide basis for the... More

"Run, Don't Walk Away From This Company!!!"

Pros

Friday at 4 pm, Health, Vision, Dental Benefits, and 401K Plan and match by Employer

Cons

Owner/President/CEO is always in a bad mood and very difficult to work with in any situation. She does not listen to her employees regarding anything and often hollers and screams at them. Everyday employees would ask her EA what kind of mood she was in. If she came to the office in a bad mood, everyone was walking on eggshells to see who she would holler at first. Company has VERY VERY high employee turnover. In my opinion it is due to the way that the CEO is always demanding something, talking down to employees and not showing enough appreciation for the work that the employees do each day.

Oct 4, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your review. We take both positive and negative reviews seriously here at Headworks Int'l particularly as the negative reviews allow us to see what the company needs to change to... More