Headworks Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michele LaNoue

1. "Best Place I've Ever Worked"

I have been working at Headworks full-time

Pros

Working at a company where everyone is passionate about cleaning the water which goes back into the environment all around the world is my favorite thing about working at Headworks. Management truly cares about my progress up the ladder and that the career I want is the one they try to make possible for me. Compensation is fair no matter your gender, race or religion as it's all bench marked against Salary.com. The diversity in the headquarters office is a match for being in Houston, the most diverse city in the USA. I learn a ton from my colleagues, not only about the business, but about the world. The managers are respectful of my personal life and I only work late or on the weekend on the rare occasion when something really needs to get out and I've fallen behind.

Cons

This is a relative small business, so everyone has to pull their weight. If someone doesn't do their work, doesn't have the skill set they put in their resume or has a negative attitude, it shows up fast. The whole department participates in interviewing and deciding on new candidates, but sometimes we don't get it right and the whole process has to start again. People are expected to be professional and team oriented, too. If not, they are shown the door. It's sometimes frustrating that we are short a person in a department because of this, but the long term people here are always willing to help with the workload. And the policy of keeping the very best people happy is working well.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. The new senior executive team are rock stars and I'm so lucky to work with them. New head of engineering literally came from a company which removes nuclear waste from water. What a fantastic opportunity to work with people of that caliber.

2. "Great people, great company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Headworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's great to be part of this friendly, hard-working team! Exposure to various departments, unlike in larger corporations. I've seen them promote from within, so plenty of growth potential. Casual office, somewhat flexible work hours within established guidelines. Benefits are ok, on par with industry standards.

Cons

Responsibilities expand beyond industry standard for a particular position, salary may not reflect that. This is probably due to it being a small company, but it can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Remember that your employees are what make you successful. Treat them well and loyalty will follow.

Mar 14, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for the review and we're truly happy that you are having a positive experience working here at Headworks. We are in the middle of annual employee reviews and hopefully once yours is ... More

"RUN DO NOT WALK FROM THIS COMPANY!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Headworks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the people are great with exception to two in upper management. The pay is good, but not worth the treatment you will get here.

Cons

When you see good reviews on this company it is a lie! The “one of the top companies to work for” bit is also a lie. Most of the employees were asked to give a good review so that others could join the team. This is a small company with a lot of potential, but the leadership is faulty. Your job duties will not be explained to you properly and you will be expected to guess what the upper management is thinking. No matter how much you do for the company the upper management will still find something wrong with what you did. There are no formal write ups. They will manufacture these false scenarios so that they can put a reprimand in your employee file and you will never know this has happened until you are at the point where you are no longer with the company. Often times you will be given tasks verbally and when you complete them you will be told that you are wrong and that is not was requested of you. You never know when to email, go talk to, or approach upper management as you never know which person the upper management will be on that particular day. When you read the reviews, go back and look at the responses. They will always say that the employee is disgruntled and this is far from the case. There is a reason that this company has such a high turnover. There have been over 40 employees in and out of this company in the last 2 years. No one can match with the personality of the upper management because it is all over the place. There are some good people that work here, but the upper management needs to be gone! If the individual was not here, this company would run smooth. AGAIN RUN! DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID AND GIVE UP ANOTHER POSITION TO COME HERE. YOU WILL REGRET IT!

Advice to Management

Get better control over your emotions. Stop and realize it is not everyone else that is the problem it is you. If someones personality meshes with an entire office full of people and not you then it is more than likely you. IT is not possible to learn what someone can do in under 3 months especially when the departments are not structured. Learn how to talk to people, give proper instructions, and do not leave it up to the person to guess what you are thinking. That is not possible when someone does not know you. Employees do not know when to email, call/text, or what direction to go in with you because we never know what mood you are in that day. These are just a few of many suggestions that I could give.

Mar 14, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your response and I would like to clear up several misconceptions you may have in your short time with the company. Our employees are not asked to provide positive reviews. All reviews ... More

5. "Hands down, the best company I have worked for."

Former Employee - Field Service Technician and IT Administrative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Field Service Technician and IT Administrative in Houston, TX

I worked at Headworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful people, empowering work, great compensation and an opportunity to grow in your professional and personal life. The diversity of cultures and backgrounds within the company allow for fresh perspective on problems that need solving. The CEO is brilliant, compassionate and highly approachable. So is the majority of the company.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say so ill just say I wish there was a way I could work for them while living in a different state.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"A place to learn and grow professionally..."

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Headworks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Headworks is a small company that has recently made the short list for Houston Business Journal's 2016 Best Places to Work. Recently, the CEO has put key personnel in leadership roles that have helped the company function better and will help the company double in size within the next year.

About once a month, we have an in-office celebration called Friday @ 4 where everyone gets to relax and have fun enjoying each other's company.

The working environment here is more relaxed and less stressful than it has been in the past due to personnel changes that were significantly bringing the overall office morale down.

Cons

Being at a small company, you tend to wear many hats. But, you gain more experience working that way so it's better for you professionally in the long run.

Advice to Management

Listen to suggestions from your employees and keep up the good work!

Oct 4, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your review. We are all seeing the improvements in the company culture these last months with the exiting of people who saw the glass half empty and the addition of a suite of ... More

"A Place for Growth"

I have been working at Headworks full-time

Pros

We have once again made Houston Business Journal's Best Places to Work finalist list in 2016. The rankings are determined by a survey taken by all employees. Hundreds of companies participate and Headworks' employees decided that we're one of the best! Why are we the best? Well, I'll tell you...

Headworks offers a plethora of opportunities for those who willingly seek them. The CEO has personally invested herself in my career and is constantly seeking ways to propel me forward. I began at Headworks in the Procurement and Logistics department and in less than two years, I was promoted into our Project Management department. I come into work each day facing new and interesting challenges that further expands my knowledge and skill sets. The company owners have gone above and beyond in supporting my growth and no words could ever express how thankful I am for that. I shared my goals with them and I never would have imagined the support I continuously receive to achieve them. There is great comfort in knowing your employer honestly cares about you and is invested in your future.

In 2016, after careful vetting, we brought on a new team of senior executives. I'll be the first to admit, I was initially skeptical and a little wary of these newcomers, but, I'm to pleased to say all of that skepticism has disappeared. I cannot imagine Headworks without this team of leaders driving us forward. Not to mention the many years of experience, knowledge, and other intangible qualities they bring to the table. Every day I get to work and learn alongside some of the very best in the industry.

I have great co-workers. Each one of them brings something special to the table. I know that with their support, we can accomplish anything. Even on the busiest of days, there isn't a single person who wouldn't drop what they are doing to help a co-worker out. We're also a fun bunch to be around. We have a few pranksters on staff that keep us all on our toes. Every once in a while, we take off at 4 on Friday and go out to the back patio for BBQ and a few beers. A few of the departments go out for happy hour when they can. We have a rotating breakfast schedule for Friday's. It's amazing how little things like this make a huge difference.

Working in the water industry is often rewarding. We play a part in bringing clean water to communities all over the world. Since we're located in Houston, we've seen many oil & gas companies perform mass layoffs and have even seen many companies fold. You won't see that here at Headworks. The need for clean water will never cease to exist and the continuous development of our worldwide water infrastructure means we will continue to grow for many years to come! This is an industry I never considered working in and now I never want to leave.

Cons

It has been weeks and there are still no vending machines in the kitchen. I guess we'll have to manage...

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin' on! I feel that you have always asked for my opinion regarding anything major because you want to make sure you know how a decision may or may not impact me. I really appreciate that.

Oct 4, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your thoughts on what makes Headworks great. As you say, the new executive team is a great group who come from some of the best and most interesting companies in the water industry ... More

"Strong Career environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

I have been working with the company going on 3 years and have grown to understand both the company mission and vision. I have read many of the posts and frankly feel differently about my employer. I am sure many of those who left whether voluntarily or not were used to big established company where little effort had to be made to get paid or didn't understand what it takes to build a company. What many didn't understand is that Headworks is a privately owned small growing company which means that the job expectancy would be slightly different from a big established institutions. I can't speak for everyone but professionals who would like to really learn, sharpen their skills and develop others would enjoy working at Headworks. We work in a warm environment great colleagues and the CEO recently hired few higher ups whom hit the ground running making noticeable differences already. On a personal level some of the motivations that makes me go to work are:
    - Your job makes a direct environmental impact in cleaning water
    - Management trust their team to do their work correctly so NO micromanagement
    - Great benefits and working hours are flexible
    - Small working environment resulting in opportunity to learn other job functions if you so choose to.

Cons

For my personal opinion i don't find anything that might stand out strong enough to be mentioned. no business is perfect but nothing major to make it a deal breaker.

Advice to Management

For my experience with the company I believe that management could implement continuous training programs for employees. Perhaps invest in more incentive programs given that we are a projects based organization.

Sep 18, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on what makes the Company a great place to work. We are committed to improving the day to day work environment even as we grow the business. As you mentioned ... More

"Becareful"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX

Pros

Very friendly environment. Everyone is very nice and it's a realative stress free work place.

Cons

You will be monitored and watched for your probation period. Despite your hard work and efforts, it is very likely you will be reprimanded for something. It is this reprimand that will get you booted out the door. You are told that you are doing a good job. I think this is only to build you up before they release you. Having a husband and wife run the company with no other senior management is a mistake. They make decisions without thought. Since they support one another in a family life, then they do the same in the office.

Make note- when I hired in, 3 others were hired in at the same time. All 4 of us have been asked to leave because we were not a good fit. INTERESTING! How can 4 people all be bad fits? What's even more interesting is they they were all asked to leave just before there probation period expired. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

As for me, I've never used their CRM database (sales force). I was expected to learn it with no training in a matter of about a month. That's bull!

Advice to Management

Do not micro manage. Everyone makes mistakes. To make mistakes during the first year of employment is common. Look at the pros and don't sweat the small stuff.

Sep 18, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your review. We welcome all input, whether positive or negative as it helps us better understand our culture and how to improve it. As you mentioned, we have a friendly and welcoming ... More

"Stressful place"

Former Employee - Engineer I in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer I in Houston, TX

I worked at Headworks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good coworkers. High quality products in water industry. Good benefits. They do interesting work if you like the water business.

Cons

Employees fired for minor issues. Very high employee turnover. If a cheaper hire is made for your position, you may be gone easily. Employees are in a constant state of fear so have limited productivity. Being called to a meeting with the CEO is very scary as you can be fired by her at the end of the meeting. Most employees only interested in protecting themselves from CEO and creating excuses. I have seen people fired by her in less than a week from hire. Everyone expcted to work well past 40 hours and at times weekend with no extra benefit.

"Good"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Headworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A place you will see miracles happening. Great Team, eager to meet most difficult deadlines. Being a small and growing company, there are plenty of opportunities to learn different parts of the business and enhance your skills.

Cons

Being in Houston, we face tough competition from the Oil & Gas industry, hence sometimes it take longer to fill new positions.