Headworks Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 14, 2017

5.0
Michele LaNoue

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best Place I've Ever Worked"

I have been working at Headworks full-time

Pros

Working at a company where everyone is passionate about cleaning the water which goes back into the environment all around the world is my favorite thing about working at Headworks. Management truly cares about my progress up the ladder and that the career I want is the one they try to make possible for me. Compensation is fair no matter your gender, race or religion as it's all bench marked against Salary.com. The diversity in the headquarters office is a match for being in Houston, the most diverse city in the USA. I learn a ton from my colleagues, not only about the business, but about the world. The managers are respectful of my personal life and I only work late or on the weekend on the rare occasion when something really needs to get out and I've fallen behind.

Cons

This is a relative small business, so everyone has to pull their weight. If someone doesn't do their work, doesn't have the skill set they put in their resume or has a negative attitude, it shows up fast. The whole department participates in interviewing and deciding on new candidates, but sometimes we don't get it right and the whole process has to start again. People are expected to be professional and team oriented, too. If not, they are shown the door. It's sometimes frustrating that we are short a person in a department because of this, but the long term people here are always willing to help with the workload. And the policy of keeping the very best people happy is working well.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. The new senior executive team are rock stars and I'm so lucky to work with them. New head of engineering literally came from a company which removes nuclear waste from water. What a fantastic opportunity to work with people of that caliber.

2. "Great people, great company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Headworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's great to be part of this friendly, hard-working team! Exposure to various departments, unlike in larger corporations. I've seen them promote from within, so plenty of growth potential. Casual office, somewhat flexible work hours within established guidelines. Benefits are ok, on par with industry standards.

Cons

Responsibilities expand beyond industry standard for a particular position, salary may not reflect that. This is probably due to it being a small company, but it can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Remember that your employees are what make you successful. Treat them well and loyalty will follow.

Mar 14, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for the review and we're truly happy that you are having a positive experience working here at Headworks. We are in the middle of annual employee reviews and hopefully once yours is... More

3. "Hands down, the best company I have worked for."

Former Employee - Field Service Technician and IT Administrative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Field Service Technician and IT Administrative in Houston, TX

I worked at Headworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful people, empowering work, great compensation and an opportunity to grow in your professional and personal life. The diversity of cultures and backgrounds within the company allow for fresh perspective on problems that need solving. The CEO is brilliant, compassionate and highly approachable. So is the majority of the company.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say so ill just say I wish there was a way I could work for them while living in a different state.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"A place to learn and grow professionally..."

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Headworks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Headworks is a small company that has recently made the short list for Houston Business Journal's 2016 Best Places to Work. Recently, the CEO has put key personnel in leadership roles that have helped the company function better and will help the company double in size within the next year.

About once a month, we have an in-office celebration called Friday @ 4 where everyone gets to relax and have fun enjoying each other's company.

The working environment here is more relaxed and less stressful than it has been in the past due to personnel changes that were significantly bringing the overall office morale down.

Cons

Being at a small company, you tend to wear many hats. But, you gain more experience working that way so it's better for you professionally in the long run.

Advice to Management

Listen to suggestions from your employees and keep up the good work!

Oct 4, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your review. We are all seeing the improvements in the company culture these last months with the exiting of people who saw the glass half empty and the addition of a suite of... More

"A Place for Growth"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Headworks full-time

Pros

We have once again made Houston Business Journal's Best Places to Work finalist list in 2016. The rankings are determined by a survey taken by all employees. Hundreds of companies participate and Headworks' employees decided that we're one of the best! Why are we the best? Well, I'll tell you...

Headworks offers a plethora of opportunities for those who willingly seek them. The CEO has personally invested herself in my career and is constantly seeking ways to propel me forward. I began at Headworks in the Procurement and Logistics department and in less than two years, I was promoted into our Project Management department. I come into work each day facing new and interesting challenges that further expands my knowledge and skill sets. The company owners have gone above and beyond in supporting my growth and no words could ever express how thankful I am for that. I shared my goals with them and I never would have imagined the support I continuously receive to achieve them. There is great comfort in knowing your employer honestly cares about you and is invested in your future.

In 2016, after careful vetting, we brought on a new team of senior executives. I'll be the first to admit, I was initially skeptical and a little wary of these newcomers, but, I'm to pleased to say all of that skepticism has disappeared. I cannot imagine Headworks without this team of leaders driving us forward. Not to mention the many years of experience, knowledge, and other intangible qualities they bring to the table. Every day I get to work and learn alongside some of the very best in the industry.

I have great co-workers. Each one of them brings something special to the table. I know that with their support, we can accomplish anything. Even on the busiest of days, there isn't a single person who wouldn't drop what they are doing to help a co-worker out. We're also a fun bunch to be around. We have a few pranksters on staff that keep us all on our toes. Every once in a while, we take off at 4 on Friday and go out to the back patio for BBQ and a few beers. A few of the departments go out for happy hour when they can. We have a rotating breakfast schedule for Friday's. It's amazing how little things like this make a huge difference.

Working in the water industry is often rewarding. We play a part in bringing clean water to communities all over the world. Since we're located in Houston, we've seen many oil & gas companies perform mass layoffs and have even seen many companies fold. You won't see that here at Headworks. The need for clean water will never cease to exist and the continuous development of our worldwide water infrastructure means we will continue to grow for many years to come! This is an industry I never considered working in and now I never want to leave.

Cons

It has been weeks and there are still no vending machines in the kitchen. I guess we'll have to manage...

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin' on! I feel that you have always asked for my opinion regarding anything major because you want to make sure you know how a decision may or may not impact me. I really appreciate that.

Oct 4, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your thoughts on what makes Headworks great. As you say, the new executive team is a great group who come from some of the best and most interesting companies in the water industry... More

"Intern at Headworks"

Former Intern - Intern in Houston, TX
    Former Intern - Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at Headworks as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Headworks is an excellent place to complete an internship. I mainly worked in the Sales department and my role was very educational. I learned a lot that will directly apply to my future career goals. Everyone that I interacted with at Headworks was very friendly and helpful. Even if they had a lot of work to do, they always found the time to answer my questions. I’m very grateful to have worked at a place like Headworks this summer.

Cons

I don't have any cons!

"Great place to work"

Pros

Headworks is a privately owned company with a real family environment. The owners are committed to the employees and go out of their way to be supportive. It is a relatively small team and we all get along. People always are ready to chip in and help each other out.

Being in the water industry means that there is steady growth of business opportunities. In the last year, the company has really strengthened its technical capability to chase more business in the growth of the business.

Another thing to note is that even though the company is small, the benefits are better than I had at my last place which is one of the largest companies in the country. The company goes out of the way to make sure the employees are taken care of.

Cons

As a small company, it is missing some of the procedures I was used to when I worked at bigger places.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

Oct 4, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on what it's like to work at Headworks. We appreciate that you enjoy and appreciate the benefit package, what we do on a worldwide basis for the... More

8. "Good staff and benefits....."

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Headworks as a contractor

Pros

I admire Headwork's Owners for creating a company with the not so easy task of making sure our world has clean water. Sometimes it not the cleanest job, but someone has to take on the responsibility of helping make our water clean. I must say Headwork's has a good staff (lots of smart people). The staff is culturally diverse with great people from all around the world. The Owners work 24/7, really 24/7………. With the rising cost of insurance the CEO searched and reviewed many companies to make sure the employees would not have an increase in their benefits cost. One of the best benefits offered is the 401K plan. Top agencies stated that Headwork's has one of the best plans out there. Headwork's promote within the company and also encourage employees to try other positions in the company if they choose to do so. In the mist of changing times Headwork's has not had company layoffs which really good news!!!

Cons

None stated at this time

"Growing Company"

Pros

I have worked at Headworks for about 2 years now. I like the industry that I am in and I've always wanted to work in a company that thrives to make things great. Since we are a small company, the opportunities to learn are endless. In a big company, you would usually only get to touch one part of the company but at Headworks you get to see the big picture. I like working with most of the people here and I like that the CEO is hands on with the employees. I agree with another review here about how my job makes a direct environmental impact in cleaning water. Besides working hard we also do fun activities. We sometimes have "Friday @4" where we would have BBQ, pizza, drinks, etc so we can all relax and hang out.

A lot has changed in the company since previous bad reviews and we always strive to make the work environment as great as we can.

Cons

There isn't any cons I can think of at this moment because I am really happy with my job. I feel that my job is important and that makes me feel very useful and that I am giving my all to the company.

Sep 18, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on what makes Headworks a great place to work. We are committed to improving the day to day work environment even as we grow the business. Please feel free to... More

"Not so bad"

I have been working at Headworks (More than 3 years)

Pros

I never had a problem in all the time I've worked here. Keep your head down do your job and you will be fine. All these negative reviews are wrong sounds like bad blood. Everybody has to pull their weight. I personally think the ceo is a nice lady, but she has a lot to do and can get stressed out. This has changed a lot over time. She hired a full management straff and they are really good and she is not as stressed. Everyone that works here seems happy and many ppl have been here a long time. I don't know it's a job and pays well, some people are negative and that is just normal. I would ask a friend to work here if there was an opening and I knew they would be good for it. We clean water with our work so you don't feel like you sell your soul to the devil to work at Headworks. More and more work coming in, other companies are slowing down and laying off people. not here. Offers insurance.

Cons

Negative people sometimes try to drag people down but management is cracking down on this and getting rid. I think all the negativity is gone. We will see.

Advice to Management

Don't have to overreact when ppl make mistakes it happens.

Sep 18, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to review the Company on GlassDoor. We appreciate your input and are committed to making the day to day experience for all team members a positive, challenging and... More