Health Advances Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Paula Ness Speers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Excellent training program and mentoring"

I have been working at Health Advances full-time

Pros

Work-life balance, exclusive focus on life sciences and healthcare, depth of domain expertise

Cons

Occasionally longer hours, ex-Boston main office location (though reverse commute is easier than commuting into the city)

2. "Analyst Intern"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Weston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Weston, MA

I worked at Health Advances full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They trust you to do actual work rather than menial tasks

Cons

Small company, Massachusetts office is in the suburbs

3. "Nice place to work"

I have been working at Health Advances full-time

Pros

smart colleagues all round, high client retention, training program is detailed and provides you the necessary skills to succeed, everyone is nice and friendly

Cons

work life balance isnt great, generally salaries are lower than same levels for competing firms, highly dependent on founders to bring business

Advice to Management

Plan for when Mark and Paula leave the organization, proposal writing needs to get better and increase work in areas of the firm that are currently lacking many projects

4. "Analyst"

I have been working at Health Advances full-time

Pros

Great training and learning opportunities, really great analyst class to work with

Cons

High pressured -- if you enjoy working hard and exhausting all resources this is the job for you! make sure you like healthcare

Advice to Management

Provide more positive feedback

"Great Culture"

I have been working at Health Advances full-time

Pros

Great culture with numerous social events and team bonding exercises
    Smart/talented coworkers
    Interesting projects
    High visibility to senior management

Cons

Long hours, although the work-life-balance is above average for consulting
    Weston office requires a car

"Health Advances"

I worked at Health Advances full-time

Pros

Training program is very strong and sets you up for for future success, exposure to many sectors across healthcare industry

Cons

Little work life balance, 2 case model is very draining, difficult to find a job after Health Advances, many go back to school

Advice to Management

Hire more upper and mid-level management with industry experience and deeper technical knowledge. Stay current on latest industry news, insights provided to clients are sometimes outdated.

"Nice Place to Work, Learn and Grow"

Former Employee - Senior Network Administrator in Weston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Network Administrator in Weston, MA

I worked at Health Advances full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked for Health Advances for a total of 10 years in a support capacity (not an analyst) providing IT services as their Senior Network Administrator. Health Advances was less than 20 people when I started with them and when I left we were nearly 100. I learned a lot in my time with them. Health Advances was really my 1st corporate job and so my learning experience was not just IT related but growing with the company professionally and learning how to deal with colleagues in an office environment.

Since I was there for 10 years, I can't say that every minute was roses. It wasn't. There was good and there was bad but when I look at my entire experience, the good far outweighs the bad.

The owners are absolutely wonderful people. That's not to say that they aren't tough business people. They are definitely tough and expect much. However they are also fair and would give you the shirt off their backs. All of the employees are thought of and treated as part of the family. You are welcome into their hearts and home literally. I've shared meals and holidays, got to know their children and felt like part of an extended family. Thank You!

The staff, analyst and other employees were also a joy to work with. Health Advances does quarterly pro bono events for local charitable organizations and this is a real opportunity to interact with your colleagues in a more relaxed setting, get to know them on a personal basis and these events create esprit de corps within the organization.

If you're reading this, you're probably looking at an Analyst role. Since I didn't do this I can't comment too much but I can say that regardless of level, there is always a lot to learn. Health Advances is a stepping stone. I can't tell you how many people I know that put in a few years and then went on to upper management positions at larger prestigious corporations. That being said, a great deal of effort goes into retention and I know just as many people that started as Analysts or Senior Analysts and moved up the company ladder at Health Advances becoming Vice Presidents or higher.

Cons

I really don't have anything bad to say or even constructive criticism. I look at the time I spent at Health Advances as a learning experience that grew me professionally in many ways. I'm no longer an IT but I still manage people and use many of the skills that I learned everyday.

Advice to Management

No advice to management. Just a big thank you to Mark, Paula, Skip, Marie as well as all the VPs and Managers.

8. "Nice Place to work"

Current Employee - Consultant in Weston, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Weston, MA

I have been working at Health Advances full-time

Pros

Great co-workers. Understanding management. Challenging work

Cons

Lot of work pressure. Really long hours

"Health Advances is good healthcare consulting firm to start a career"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Weston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Weston, MA

I have been working at Health Advances full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very intelligent coworkers, you learn something from every project. Typically good work life balance

Cons

Currently overworked and unwilling to make changes

"Smart people and great culture; great place to learn and grow."

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Health Advances full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are the best asset: very smart with a good balance of perspectives (science and medical vs. business). Firm fosters a good culture in which its easy to thrive if you apply yourself. Travel is not a killer like at other consulting firms. Hours are reasonably flexible, allowing time to get personal things done.

Cons

Consistent with many consulting firms hours can be long - nothing unusual in this regard, but be prepared for a long night here and there if you've never done consulting before. Management is cautious, so decisions can take too long and sometimes decisions aren't always transparent. This is sometimes perceived as patronizing "we [management] know best". Pay is not as competitive as elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Embrace innovative ideas from your employees more readily. Take more risks on your employees' enthusiasm by offering more training and externship opportunities.