Health Alliance Plan of Michigan Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 13, 2019

Found 74 reviews

2.8
Terri Kline
Pros
  • "The new work environment encourages collaboration and higher levels of teamwork(in 6 reviews)

• "HAP leadership team is always looking for ways to be more efficient(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Being part of HFHS seems to be detrimental to HAP staff(in 8 reviews)

• "(in 3 reviews)

1. "Great employer"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist

I have been working at Health Alliance Plan of Michigan full-time

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Mostly everyone enjoys the job.

Cons

Nothing. No real complaints from me.

Health Alliance Plan of Michigan2019-08-14
  2. "Good ride, for a while..."

Former Employee - Director

I worked at Health Alliance Plan of Michigan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People generally care about what they are doing and some of the leaders are in it for the right reasons. HFHS has opportunities to succeed if you can get moved into the system, which can be difficult. There was once room for professional improvement and achieving goals making it an interesting environment to work in.

Cons

Senior management turn over and replacement of executives over the past few years was a disaster. Leaders were misleading and dishonest with their management and staff making it a toxic and stressful environment to work within. Constant threat of layoffs and budget/resource cuts, even when leaders were assured that none were coming "anytime soon", made it very difficult to manage rumors and staff concerns. I was part...

Advice to Management

HFHS needs to step in and evaluate the entire leadership team and supposed "culture" of this business unit, making dramatic adjustments if they are going to survive in the market.

Health Alliance Plan of Michigan2019-08-13
  3. "Great company with some flaws"

Current Employee - Management Engineer

I have been working at Health Alliance Plan of Michigan full-time

Pros

I have worked for HAP for around 3 years now and have had a positive experience. Although it is obvious the entire company does not reflect this, I have enjoyed the direction of my leaders with a lot of positive feedback. Pay is alright and the company is moving in a positive direction.

Cons

During my three years, I have seen numerous people leave and can count on one hand how many true promotions I have seen.

Advice to Management

Find a way to promote quality employees internally so they do not leave the organization.

Health Alliance Plan of Michigan2019-07-25
  4. "Overall a Good company"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Troy, MI

I have been working at Health Alliance Plan of Michigan full-time for more than a year

Pros

Moving in the right direction and focused on improving the member experience

Cons

The only Con would be the construction in Troy

Health Alliance Plan of Michigan2019-06-20

"Hot Mess Going the Way of Health Plus - Out of Business"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Health Alliance Plan of Michigan full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

* Great PTO - starts at 20 days, goes to 25 after a few years, and then eventually up to 30 days if you stay long enough. * Good work-life balance. * Owned by Henry Ford Health System - what keeps the company afloat + opportunities for transferring to the system. * The people. Non-management worker bees are for the most part hard-working, intelligent, friendly, and helpful.

Cons

* I was at HAP for the better part of a decade, and there were at least an annual round of layoffs, sometimes more than once a year. The latest round happened at the end of January 2019 when 100 positions were eliminated. Many jobs were cut by the new CMO who had only been in her role a few months. She made rash decisions without knowing what people did or the impact they had on the business. There was no transitional...

Advice to Management

* The CEO needs to get the company moving forward. She has been there for three years now, and each year, we continued to face significant financial losses. Cutting employees isn't going to save the company - shifting the culture to be innovative and customer-focused will. While programs have been rolled out to do this, they have always been cosmetic in nature and never fix root problems. * Hire people who have a long-term...

Health Alliance Plan of Michigan2019-03-26

"in fear of losing job and micro management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I have been working at Health Alliance Plan of Michigan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

nothing much apart from daily working

Cons

years 2 shifts of layoffs in fear of losing job and micro management

Health Alliance Plan of Michigan2019-03-28
  7. "Once a great company"

I worked at Health Alliance Plan of Michigan full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Worked with a great team.

Cons

Team was let go at the same time unexpectedly

Advice to Management

Show the employees that you care about them. Take a pay cut - this starts from the President on down - and don't take a bonus if there is a need to cut jobs.

Health Alliance Plan of Michigan2019-02-18

"Be Prepared to Work Hard"

I worked at Health Alliance Plan of Michigan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great coworkers. Great building to work in.

Cons

You will likely be under paid and under valued for your work. While clean and modern, the work spaces are too close together. They were meant to help you be more "collaborative," but all it did was create more frustration and noise.

Advice to Management

Provide employees with more opportunities for growth, competitive wages and better benefits.

Health Alliance Plan of Michigan2019-02-28
  9. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Health Alliance Plan of Michigan full-time

Pros

Nice new office environment in Troy Michigan

Cons

Health Insurance Market is competitive

Health Alliance Plan of Michigan2019-02-08
  10. "HAP MAKES CHANGES TO IMPROVE COMPETITIVE POSITION"

Current Employee - Vice President in Troy, MI

I have been working at Health Alliance Plan of Michigan full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

HAP leadership team is always looking for ways to be more efficient. They are diligent about continuously looking at old processes and finding ways to improve. There have adopted design thinking concepts as a way to focus more on customer impact. New building is outstanding. The new work environment encourages collaboration and higher levels of teamwork. The building also has great amenities, like a great cafeteria,...

Cons

One downside is the company has not grown in recent years.

Advice to Management

Continued focus on growth and increasing membership will help the company. Strategic direction is good and should deliver much needed growth.

Health Alliance Plan of Michigan2019-02-08