Health Alliance Plan of Michigan "hap" Reviews | Glassdoor

Health Alliance Plan of Michigan Employee Reviews about "hap"

Updated Nov 20, 2019

2.9
Health Alliance Plan of Michigan Interim President and Chief Executive Officer Michael Genord
Michael Genord
Pros
  • "Owned by Henry Ford Health System - what keeps the company afloat(in 6 reviews)

• "The new work environment encourages collaboration and higher levels of teamwork(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Being part of HFHS seems to be detrimental to HAP staff(in 10 reviews)

• "NO merit-based raises - only corporate wide-ones that are sporadic(in 3 reviews)

Reviews about "hap"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "HAP MAKES CHANGES TO IMPROVE COMPETITIVE POSITION"

Current Employee - Vice President in Troy, MI

I have been working at Health Alliance Plan of Michigan full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

HAP leadership team is always looking for ways to be more efficient. They are diligent about continuously looking at old processes and finding ways to improve. There have adopted design thinking concepts as a way to focus more on customer impact. New building is outstanding. The new work environment encourages collaboration and higher levels of teamwork. The building also has great amenities, like a great cafeteria, full scale gym with lockers, showers and multiple exercise classes and connection to a dry cleaners who picks up and delivers to the office.

Cons

One downside is the company has not grown in recent years.

Advice to Management

Continued focus on growth and increasing membership will help the company. Strategic direction is good and should deliver much needed growth.

Health Alliance Plan of Michigan2019-02-08
  2. "I love my job"

Current Employee - Senior Management Engineer in Flint, MI

I have been working at Health Alliance Plan of Michigan full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- I am allowed to work remote, but that is based on your our own manager. - Competitive salary

Cons

- Raises are based on how the company does and how HFHS does (they own HAP), not on your own merit and work ethic

Advice to Management

Think about allowing managers to give raises or bonuses based on merit

Health Alliance Plan of Michigan2019-11-20

"Good ride, for a while..."

Former Employee - Director

I worked at Health Alliance Plan of Michigan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People generally care about what they are doing and some of the leaders are in it for the right reasons. HFHS has opportunities to succeed if you can get moved into the system, which can be difficult. There was once room for professional improvement and achieving goals making it an interesting environment to work in.

Cons

Senior management turn over and replacement of executives over the past few years was a disaster. Leaders were misleading and dishonest with their management and staff making it a toxic and stressful environment to work within. Constant threat of layoffs and budget/resource cuts, even when leaders were assured that none were coming "anytime soon", made it very difficult to manage rumors and staff concerns. I was part of a mass layoff that was very poorly executed and completely mishandled by leadership, despite understanding the financial and business motives behind this type of decision. CMO is a disgrace to the position and a very solid organization in HFHS, which was very evident from the beginning, regardless of the layoffs that took place. Being let go from HAP so far was the best thing that ever happened to me professionally, but cannot say the same for colleagues still reeling from this event. Stay away from HAP if there are other opportunities within the health system or elsewhere, or be ready for an interesting situation.

Advice to Management

HFHS needs to step in and evaluate the entire leadership team and supposed "culture" of this business unit, making dramatic adjustments if they are going to survive in the market.

Health Alliance Plan of Michigan2019-08-13

"Hot Mess Going the Way of Health Plus - Out of Business"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Health Alliance Plan of Michigan full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

* Great PTO - starts at 20 days, goes to 25 after a few years, and then eventually up to 30 days if you stay long enough. * Good work-life balance. * Owned by Henry Ford Health System - what keeps the company afloat + opportunities for transferring to the system. * The people. Non-management worker bees are for the most part hard-working, intelligent, friendly, and helpful.

Cons

* I was at HAP for the better part of a decade, and there were at least an annual round of layoffs, sometimes more than once a year. The latest round happened at the end of January 2019 when 100 positions were eliminated. Many jobs were cut by the new CMO who had only been in her role a few months. She made rash decisions without knowing what people did or the impact they had on the business. There was no transitional plan, despite me wanting to help. Everyone was just walked out the door. Three months later, I still have team members and business partners calling me and texting me with questions. * The company culture lacks accountability. There are numerous senior level executives who have made continual errors that cost the company membership and money, but they were never held accountable for their actions, and continue to repeat them. * HAP is behind the times about practically everything - products, technology, member experience, etc. Examples include being the last to market with telehealth when all of our competitors offered it for years, incapable of basic e-mail marketing due to a lack of a CRM tool or member preference center, developing new partnerships with third-parties but not supporting them with the appropriate resources before moving on to the next thing. * Human Resource policies are inconsistent. Some internal promotions take a year to complete, others happen in weeks. Some new hiring can be done in weeks, some takes months or longer. It just depends how much power your VP/department has to make things happen, and which HR representative you end up getting assigned. * Compensation. There are no merit increases - only cost of living increases that are system wide and seem to occur every other year. It doesn't matter if you get a 3, 4, or 5 on your performance review - everyone gets the same general raise. My boss fought hard to get me higher compensation to be more competitive with the market, but HR wouldn't budge at all. I've seen team members take over their boss' old job during a layoff, and never get any sort of title change or pay increase.

Advice to Management

* The CEO needs to get the company moving forward. She has been there for three years now, and each year, we continued to face significant financial losses. Cutting employees isn't going to save the company - shifting the culture to be innovative and customer-focused will. While programs have been rolled out to do this, they have always been cosmetic in nature and never fix root problems. * Hire people who have a long-term vested interest in the company. With all of the layoffs and willing departures, many of the senior leadership positions are currently filled by out-of-state contract employees who don't have a true interest in the long term viability of the company. * Figure out a game plan for the future of the company. Every year, the focus shifts to something new. * Treat your worker bees like they matter. Despite senior staff advertising "open door" policies, most don't want to interact with people below their title.

Health Alliance Plan of Michigan2019-03-26

"Layoffs Continue - 140+ in January 2019"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

I worked at Health Alliance Plan of Michigan full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you can get across the the HFHS side, they actually have a pretty good culture and opportunities to grow and advance.

Cons

HAP is trapped by years of mismanagement, largely from the Director level, which is full of crony's who got their job for being around a long time and knowing lots of people. The products and services are old and uninteresting, the quality is mediocre and they are losing big clients left and right as a result. As someone else said, the CEO Terry Kline is a consultant brought in to chop it down to size and make it sellable, and I think she's doing that.

Advice to Management

This is a funny box, they don't care, they are milking it for as long as they can with no desire or intent to change.

Health Alliance Plan of Michigan2019-01-31

"Mismanaged Organization"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I worked at Health Alliance Plan of Michigan full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You will build life long friendships with your coworkers.

Cons

The company has been mismanaged for years. This company lacks diversity in leadership. HAP has zero Latino, Asian, or African American in C-Suite or Sr. Level management. Very few below that. For the past two years, they have eliminated 349 jobs. The CSMO, is unethical. She promised an employee who only has a high diploma a senior management position. The manager bragged online that she would be leading a new team and hiring 3 people. Less than 48 hours prior to her announcement, 3 people with very similar job titles lost their job. For years employees have been told if you don’t have a bachelors degree, you can’t be in management. HAP scrapped the Community Outreach department in the Detroit area. Every member on that team lost their job. The Marketing team was cut in half because HAP didn’t sell enough but the Sales team didn’t lose employees. No reorganization or job responsibilities for the remaining employees have been established by The CSMO The CEO met with CSMO, letting her know she couldn’t promote the young lady to senior manager. The company is losing money and for 2020 they are not 4 star rated health plan meaning they will have almost $30 million less operating capital, unless they drastically increase its membership. This company has been borderline practicing age discrimination. The ship is sinking fast at HAP.

Advice to Management

Higher better leaders who understand healthcare and the metropolitan Detroit area. Get rid up of Margaret Anderson she is going to cause people to file a class action lawsuit.

Health Alliance Plan of Michigan2019-02-03
  7. "Intern - Summer 2018"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Health Alliance Plan of Michigan

Pros

It is a smaller company, so it does have a familial vibe to it. Everyone pretty much knows one another.

Cons

Unfortunately, the intern program wasn’t very well organized in terms of expectations for managers. As a result, many interns, including myself, were merely assigned busy work. As a data analytics intern, the entirety of my internship consisted of copying and pasting PDF contents onto excel spreadsheets. Furthermore, it’s not the best organization for young people looking to make upward moves, due to strict headcount limitations and downsizing. Although insurance can’t really be cutting edge, HAP’s competitors(I.e. the blues) are really trying their best to embrace new technologies and analytics tools. In order to thrive, HAP will certainly have to get on the same page. People here are also a mixed bag. Some are really big hearted and friendly, while others(including a lot of the management I encountered) are rather petty and controlling. I mean no Ill will at all towards this organization, but there are definitely pains to be worked out.

Advice to Management

Set clear goals for new interns and new hires. Rather than micromanage them, treat them with dignity and invest the time needed to properly train them so they can thrive in their new role. When several hundred individuals need to be layed off for the organization to stay afloat, the problem is coming from the top, not the bottom.

Health Alliance Plan of Michigan2018-12-21
  8. "Best Internship I've Ever Had"

Former Intern - Intern

I worked at Health Alliance Plan of Michigan for less than a year

Pros

My internship experience at Health Alliance Plan was incredible. I was not only given meaningful, progressive assignments, but also had the opportunity to develop a literacy of the health insurance industry. My leader was clear about expectations and flexible on my working hours. I was also introduced to nearly the entire executive board. The CEO, Terri Kline, makes time to interact with interns as well. I think 3 or 4 people were hired afterward by either HAP or HFHS.

Cons

Some interns were unsatisfied with their assignments, but it seemed to vary based on department. The internship project felt a little tangential (but to be fair, did help develop communication and teamwork skills).

Advice to Management

Keep this program going!

Health Alliance Plan of Michigan2018-04-23
  9. "Leadership Knows Nothing"

I worked at Health Alliance Plan of Michigan full-time

Pros

The only thing is the Pay

Cons

Starting from supervisors on up, they know absolutely nothing. You Can not get help to save your life at HAP. So know all you can before you take the position because you will be taught nothing. IF anything, you have to train your manager and director.

Advice to Management

Hire Qualified people instead of your friends and family members.

Health Alliance Plan of Michigan2018-05-24
  10. "Company needs a complete turnaround."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

I worked at Health Alliance Plan of Michigan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- The department I was in was close knit and fun. - I liked the Director. - My commute was easy. (I realize this is not HAP related, but the pros are hard to come by).

Cons

- Micro managers abound! If you hire someone to do the work, let them do it. It causes the managers to be too busy trying to do everything. - Being part of HFHS seems to be detrimental to HAP staff. There is no concrete casual Friday, work from home, pay raise or other "perks" that happen at most other companies because HAP is tied to their HR system. - Too focused on internal campaigns. No one "cares" that much, and it's not going to fix your problem. Start by paying people more and they'll be more invested. - Absolutely no opportunity for advancement. And if you do take a new position, it's likely considered "lateral" within HFHS. - Upper level management is lacking. What do all these VP's do all day? - The sales team needs to have more involvement with other departments. Period. - Morale is lacking because people see others doing nothing with no consequence, yet additional duties pile on the ones who do work with no pay increase.

Advice to Management

- You're losing quality staff due to low pay and micro managing. - HAP needs to figure out an identity, stick with it and make it happen. An actual strategy, not a "feel good" ad campaign. - Teams that work on the same floor will have no idea what the other is doing, even if their work overlaps. Yet other teams meet 16 times per week. Set some guidelines, open communications, make standards, set the examples and stick to them. - Some mid- managers think they're the CEO. Reign that in or more people will be leaving. - Tie reviews to salary/bonus increase.

Health Alliance Plan of Michigan2018-04-05