Health Alliance Plan of Michigan "work environment" Reviews | Glassdoor

Health Alliance Plan of Michigan Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated Feb 8, 2019

2.9
Health Alliance Plan of Michigan Interim President and Chief Executive Officer Michael Genord
Michael Genord
Pros
  • "Owned by Henry Ford Health System - what keeps the company afloat(in 6 reviews)

• "The new work environment encourages collaboration and higher levels of teamwork(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Being part of HFHS seems to be detrimental to HAP staff(in 10 reviews)

• "NO merit-based raises - only corporate wide-ones that are sporadic(in 3 reviews)

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "HAP MAKES CHANGES TO IMPROVE COMPETITIVE POSITION"

Current Employee - Vice President in Troy, MI

I have been working at Health Alliance Plan of Michigan full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

HAP leadership team is always looking for ways to be more efficient. They are diligent about continuously looking at old processes and finding ways to improve. There have adopted design thinking concepts as a way to focus more on customer impact. New building is outstanding. The new work environment encourages collaboration and higher levels of teamwork. The building also has great amenities, like a great cafeteria, full scale gym with lockers, showers and multiple exercise classes and connection to a dry cleaners who picks up and delivers to the office.

Cons

One downside is the company has not grown in recent years.

Advice to Management

Continued focus on growth and increasing membership will help the company. Strategic direction is good and should deliver much needed growth.

Health Alliance Plan of Michigan2019-02-08

"good not great"

Current Employee - Analyst in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Health Alliance Plan of Michigan full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

close to home, work environment, people are friendly

Cons

if you work from home, you hear that it's a threatened privilege and it can only be done one or two days a week; no merit raises; no chance of advancement; little or no challenge and training

Advice to Management

choose middle managers so they motivate employees. Morale is pretty low lately with recent changes and take-aways. It's no wonder the quality scores and service awards are drying up.

Health Alliance Plan of Michigan2016-05-09

"A lot of changes in a couple of years"

Analyst in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Health Alliance Plan of Michigan

Pros

Work life balance, remodeled work environment, updated claims processing system, updated data warehouse, updated customer service processing system, new CEO, new CFO, new COO.

Cons

See the Pros (above). All the changes, while for the better, have issues associated with them and contributed to a large amount of employee turnover. Employees incurred a loss of five paid holidays and overtime compensation (to bring HAP in line with Henry Ford Health System), but we're reminded we have jobs. Lateral career opportunities are plentiful, but moving up is nearly impossible.

Advice to Management

My last two managers have discussed THEIR career goals in my annual review, without asking where I saw myself in five years, ten years, etc.

Health Alliance Plan of Michigan2015-01-17

"Wild Rollercoaster"

I have been working at Health Alliance Plan of Michigan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay, sometimes fun work environment.

Cons

Very political, and for the last year, the entire companies structure has been in redesign and HR has done a very poor job of rolling it out.

Advice to Management

Get rid of mandatory shut down days where we have to use our own CTO bank.

Health Alliance Plan of Michigan2014-12-06

"An amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Pros

Excellent, tightly-knit work teams (yes, they'll accept you in, they're not exclusive groups! ) , and an amazing work environment. There ARE companies who DO care about their employees' well-being (I almost thought they went extinct). Continuous training, multiple opportunities for self-development. Supportive Management at all levels. Flexible work schedules (to you, as well as them!). Yes, family/personal life DOES exist!

Cons

Just like every other place, POLITICS. Can't run away from those. There is also some work to be done at Business Unit demands vs. IT Department delivery abilities, BUT, to their merit, it's going OK and things are working out decently. Another con - at employment, the HR is making salary offers that simply invite you to hang up on them the second they open their mouths - i.e., offering people with 20+ work experience, degrees and certs the same salary that a college grad with no experience would get. You have to be alert, on your toes, pay attention and stand up for yourself! Compensation COULD be better, but it is fairly decent at where it's at, especially considering this is a non-profit entity (again, you have to fight for that)

Advice to Management

None - HAP management (at least the IT side) do care about the employees and have always gone out of their ways to help - including doing things at a personal level.

Health Alliance Plan of Michigan2013-10-07
  6. "Filled with warmth- my co-workers are so kind"

Current Employee - Marketing in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Health Alliance Plan of Michigan full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits, friendly work environment, flexible, supportive. You can feel the positive energy, and the teams collaborate well. They are open to ideas and fresh opinions. The new work areas are light and open. I've met many employees who have worked here for 12-28 years, which speaks a lot about a company- job security, opportunity for growth, and a great place to work.

Cons

Since it is a non-profit, the salary is not super high, but it is fair.

Advice to Management

Continue to engage with employees and implement the philosophy you put in place

Health Alliance Plan of Michigan2013-09-23